Keen 4 unreleased enemy

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Keen 4 unreleased enemy

Post by Bubbatom »

I was talking to Tom Hall on Facebook tonight and I asked him about the keen 4 demo tileset. He told me the most prominent outake of keen 4 were these passive cow-like creatures called 'Dorts' that cold take you across harmful surfaces. But later on in development they were replaced with poison slugs.

Sorry if this has already been brought up.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Oh wow. :O Is there any kind of concept art or unused sprites or anything out there?
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

I'm waiting for a response as to if there were any unreleased sprites. I think it's very early morning in the us ( where Tom is ) so he's probably in bed. :dopefish
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Well, bounders are kind of similar. Just hop on them, and you can control & move them over fire and other harmful surfaces.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Grimson wrote:Well, bounders are kind of similar. Just hop on them, and you can control & move them over fire and other harmful surfaces.
Wait, you can control bounders?! :O Image
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Can't tell if sarcasm or serious. :confused
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

Yeah - they go in the direction that you're closer to. If you stand on his left eye, he goes left. Same with the right eye.
There was something here, but my yorp ate it.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Pokota wrote:Yeah - they go in the direction that you're closer to. If you stand on his left eye, he goes left. Same with the right eye.
I never knew that and I've been playing Keen 4 since I was about 5... :O
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

DHeadshot wrote:
Pokota wrote:Yeah - they go in the direction that you're closer to. If you stand on his left eye, he goes left. Same with the right eye.
I never knew that and I've been playing Keen 4 since I was about 5... :O
SAME!

WOW!

WE'VE BEEN DOING IT WRONG FOR AROUND TWO DECADES! I mean, I knew they seemed to bounce to where you aren't when you aren't on them.... but this!

Also, I love how these lovely creatures were replaced with POISON SLUGS.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the demo tileset didn't have unknown creatures, so these must have been removed pretty damn early!

Any remnant code? (What am I saying, of course not - efficient programmers!)

I guess Two Cows now becomes "Two Dorts."
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Keeper
Vortininja

Post by Keeper »

I found out about controlling Bounders years ago - I noticed that they don't move in any direction when you stand in their center. The next logical thing to do was to move slightly to the left or right... wheeeeee, free ride!

Speaking of in-game secrets, my favorite hint from the Goodbye Galaxy hintbook is this one:

If you are getting too tense, the PAUSE key does work!

I have found that it really helps sometimes - I pause the game, go for a quick walk, and when I'm back I am inspired to overcome whatever nasty challenge lies ahead :dopekeen
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Wow, that is new information, Bubbatom! That's very interesting, did Tom mention anything else about the Demo or outttakes? I really hope he's got the unused sprites lying around somewhere, those would be awesome and inspirational to see.
No. 1 Machop Fan
Vortininja

Post by No. 1 Machop Fan »

DHeadshot wrote:
Grimson wrote:Well, bounders are kind of similar. Just hop on them, and you can control & move them over fire and other harmful surfaces.
Wait, you can control bounders?! :O Image
Indeed you can! If Keen stands on the left side of the Bounder, the Bounder will bounce left. If Keen stands on the right side of the Bounder, the Bounder will bounce right.
I love my cute little Machop!

Come on, you know Machop is cute! I mean, how could you not love those endearing eyes? That adorable face? That loving embrace?

Just don't call it cuddly or else it will hurt you.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Wait, you can control bounders?
Without that gem of knowledge, I doubt you've been saving very many Quillsheep. :-P

That's cool about the 'Dorts'... very much in keeping with the trend in Keens 4-6 to playfully mix 'serious' sprites e.g. Berkeloids and Skypests, with frivolous fun sprites eg Treasure Eaters.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Tom told me that there were sprites done for the Dort but he can't remember where they are. :dopefish
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Bubbatom wrote:Tom told me that there were sprites done for the Dort but he can't remember where they are. :dopefish
Reckon they could be on that code disc that John Romero mentioned?
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."