Dead in the Desert Community Levelpack

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

No, not Cacti Caverns. :-)
I'm sick of armani sunglases
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Heh, Vbb, keep guessing and maybe you'll get one right.
Gridlock. I can't find this red gem, but it's not necessary to exit the level. Therefore I assume it is the secret level exit, which I know Gridlock is responsible for
As strange as that exit seems, it is not the entrance to the secret level. I don't believe there is a red gem in that level, and I don't think that has any purpose other than decoration. Good guess though.
You put the full name on the level entry text for World Between Worlds and shortened it for the in-level name, why not do the same in this instance?
That name is still too long in this case. I was just barely able to squeeze World Between Worlds into the entrance text, but that name is just too long to fit. We could change it to "Luv Shack" if you want, though.

I will post individual responses to each level once the names are revealed. Even though I still don't know all of them myself, I don't want to spoil any of the guessing.
Would it be possible to add a title screen and call it its own mod, not a level pack?
Other than adding something like the words "Community Levelpack" to the titlescreen, I don't think anybody would be willing to do a completely new title screen.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

There are a lot of great levels in this pack. A lot of them are hard, but not unreasonable, so long as you proceed with caution. The impossible palace borders on unreasonable, but a world-class player would still be able to complete it with some regularity I think.

I would say my favourite so far is the Stalagburn caverns, with runners up being the Volcano and the Spikard tank.

The Warm Sands has a really neat atmosphere that is appropriate to the setting (imagine that, a desert devoid of life), plus it's good for life farming.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

lemm wrote:There are a lot of great levels in this pack. A lot of them are hard, but not unreasonable, so long as you proceed with caution. The impossible palace borders on unreasonable, but a world-class player would still be able to complete it with some regularity I think.
Your lack of any acknowledgement of Switches and btches all but confirms you're responsible for that abomination :celtic
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

i cheated my way into that in-level devil's cavern, and it was nothing, just a room design. grr.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I know Gridlock made The Volcano. You know why? Because I found the lantern! :D

Took a really long time, too. Good thing I recorded it.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Ive been away for Christmas for the past few days and this will make a great late present...
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Gridlock wrote:Edit: There might be a suprise for whoever can figure out how to reach the secret level. :mortlol
I am a little confused by this secret level statement considering I was able to reach all 18 levels on the world map by no special means. There is what looks like a path to a secret level in Boring Desert, but there is no red gem for the gem door, the Devil's Cavern structure is blocked by invisibile walls and the door to the structure goes nowhere. Unless you updated the link for the Community Pack and a secret place was included, this is just to add scenery to the background.

Unless Spikard Tank is supposed to be the secret level because the path to the latern in The Volcano is very well hidden and not so easy to get to. Or unless Lemm threw in a sneaky patch and there is a 19th secret level? When I counted out how many levels each designer did, I counted 19! If a 19th level does exist, I cannot find it!
GARGapplesauce wrote:And isn't PARAMULTART written in the background of "Keen doesn't consider this a level" anyhow?
I noticed that, too, and it does not surprise me he is responsible.
Gridlock wrote:Heh, Vbb, keep guessing and maybe you'll get one right.
Here are my guesses:

Switches and Btiches- Lemm
Aquatic Ruins- Tulip
Scorch Valley- Ceilick
Stalagburn Caverns- Gridlock
Cacti Caverns- VikingBoyBilly
Sandipstick- GARGapplesauce
Spikard Tank- Gridlock
Pit of Shanking- Kuliwil
The Volcano- Gridlock
Fusion Chambers- Neek
World Between Worlds- Keenfan
Impossible Palace- Fleexy
Hydro Pumping Station- Mr_M
Boring Desert- Gridlock
Warm Sands- Mink
Farts- Paramultart
Hydro Battle- Mink
Love Shack- VikingBoyBilly

As for the levelpack most of the levels are great. With the exception of Hydro Battle I have solved all levels on easy. Just a quick thing about a few levels:

Switches and Btiches: the area were Keen walks off the level and you cannot see where you are going, a few things:

1) In Shikadi's Keen 6 levelpack called the Rapid Pack, level 1 - Future Idea, followed this concept to the extreme, except he put in doors so the player could get a glimpse on what the different sections of the level looked like so you were not playing completely blind.
2) When you are in the unseen area, save and then load the level. The unseen section will now be seen.
3) At the point you leave the screen, the middle section on the screen is designed exactly the same as the section you are in that cannot be seen. Follow that to nagivate in the unseen section.

Impossible Palace: This level definitely lives up to its name. You know the level is hard when you have to do in-level saving on easy in order to pass it! This is obviously a Fleexy creation!

Boring Desert: The level also lives up to its name. Other then the water pitcher availabe, this level is rather boring.

Warm Sands: Like some of the other Keeners mentioned the level design definitely has great potential, but the level itself is rather empty. This level impresses and disappoints me all at the same time.

Farts: I am sure Paramultart could have come up with a better name than this, and a more Keenish name at that. As a joke level, this was rather amusing.

Hydro Battle: This is a lot harder and better than Battle for the Ship

My only other gripe is only 2 levels out of the 18 are required to complete the game. Overall, this is a great levelpack.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

So far nobody guessed right on my level. Also I didn't even play it yet :0
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Completed the underground and hydro areas except for the Spikard Tank.

Stalagburn cavern is excellent, my favorite section being the Squib arena on the left side. This level particularly invokes the style of typical Vorticons mod levels. Great work, Gridlock.

The Volcano is also awesome, although it really confused me for a time searching for where to put the green gem. Great original use of tiles. Good work again, Gridlock.

The Impossible Palace, while insane, the first room is geniusly devised with the exception of the upper right purple spike section, which is BS. Too frustrated not to cheat at that point. My favorite part was platform hopping while dodging turret guns and having to escape Spikards. For that section at least, mark me impressed, Fleexy.

The boss level is excellent, I love the way the Nospike falling behaviour is utilized. I did find it a bit easy to defeat him on the lower straightaway, but getting to that point was awesome. Not quite sure who made this one; originally guessed Mink, but I think it'd involve more switches if that were the case. I'm going to guess Neek, since I'm unfamiliar with his style.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Syllypryde wrote:When I counted out how many levels each designer did, I counted 19! If a 19th level does exist, I cannot find it!
I think you're forgetting that the overworld map is a level ;)
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I think you're forgetting that the overworld map is a level ;)
You are right, I did forget this.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

@Syllypryde
@vikingboybilly

I was not the creator of Sandipstick :) keep trying lol.

Wow, nobody remembers "It's just clouds, man"? I care when my tiles do not fit together correctly, and freak out when they don't.

EDIT: Also, I've realized just how bad my level was, especially compared to some current work I've been doing. I'd like to reassure that everything I do won't be as... off. :dead
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

New guesses:

Switches and Btiches- Lemm
Aquatic Ruins- GARGapplesauce
Scorch Valley- Ceilick
Stalagburn Caverns- Gridlock
Cacti Caverns- VikingBoyBilly
Sandipstick- Tulip
Spikard Tank- Gridlock
Pit of Shanking- Kuliwil
The Volcano- Gridlock
Fusion Chambers- Neek
World Between Worlds- Keenfan
Impossible Palace- Fleexy
Hydro Pumping Station- Mr_M
Boring Desert- Neek
Warm Sands- Mink
Farts- Paramultart
Hydro Battle- Gridlock
Love Shack- VikingBoyBilly
World Map- Mink

Edit:
Switches and Btiches- Keenfan
Aquatic Ruins- Ceilick
Scorch Valley- GARGapplesauce
World Between Worlds- Lemm
Last edited by Syllypryde on Thu Dec 29, 2011 0:09, edited 1 time in total.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I didn't make any of the levels you guessed I did. :-)
And I think that's a big compliment. :-)
I'm sick of armani sunglases