Keen Fangame and Mod Help

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Ceilick
The Dude

Keen Fangame and Mod Help

Post by Ceilick »

Please use this thread to post questions related to starting, running, or general gameplay help for Keen fan-games and mods. Please only do so here if there is no active thread in the release forum for the game which you are having a problem with.

General Information:
Dosbox is highly recommended and often necessary to run Keen mods. Get Dosbox here: http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

To run a mod, all you need to do is drag and drop the mod's batch file, a file which ends in .bat, onto the Dosbox shortcut. Some Keen mods, typically mods of Keen 2, 3, and 5, will require that you provide your own Keen executable to play them. Just copy your original Keen .exe files into the mod's folder.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Re: Keen Fangame and Mod Help

Post by Keening_Product »

Ceilick wrote:Just copy your original Keen .exe files into the mod's folder.
And remember it has to be the right version! Mods mostly use the latest version of the files.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

Would this also be the place one would ask questions in relation to using mod software?
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Questions related to modding tools and making your own mods can be posted on our modding forum: http://www.keenmodding.org/index.php
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

This thread is a good idea. I don't know why no one ever uses it.

Here's my question: How do I beat Keen: Extinction? :o
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Oh that's simple; it's secretly based on the original Duke 3D gameplay; if you can beat the first level of Duke 3D in under 15 seconds you'll be able to cruise through Extinction.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Levellass wrote:Oh that's simple; it's secretly based on the original Duke 3D gameplay; if you can beat the first level of Duke 3D in under 15 seconds you'll be able to cruise through Extinction.
Erm... That might actually be possible
http://youtu.be/apvnzxxOkAo
(Not my speed run video... This guy did it in 9 seconds, though it seems he may be using a modified .GRP, cause when I tried to replicate that I didn't move nearly as fast or jump nearly as high)

Seriously though... I'd like to see an LP of Extinction.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Paramultart wrote:Seriously though... I'd like to see an LP of Extinction.
Alas! I was done after Level 7.
viewtopic.php?t=2430&start=0
And drat. I still can't get the DosBox video codec thing to install properly on this here laptop of mine. Windows Vista, y'see...
Not that this concerns Keen games or modding help, but does anyone else use Vista? And so, have you gotten the "movie codec" to install?
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Paramultart wrote:Erm... That might actually be possible
http://youtu.be/apvnzxxOkAo
(Not my speed run video... This guy did it in 9 seconds, though it seems he may be using a modified .GRP, cause when I tried to replicate that I didn't move nearly as fast or jump nearly as high)
That may be an application of straferunning: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Straferunning

For a page regarding Duke Nukem 3D (note that the possibilities may depend on the source port) you can check this: http://www.multi-players-zone.com/playerspeeds.htm
troublesomekeen wrote:I still can't get the DosBox video codec thing to install properly on this here laptop of mine. Windows Vista, y'see...
Not that this concerns Keen games or modding help, but does anyone else use Vista? And so, have you gotten the "movie codec" to install?
While I don't have Vista:
- Not that it's a problem, but is that a 64-bit edition which you're running by chance? In such a case the codec should be compatible with 32-bit media players, I believe. There may be some place with an unofficial 64-bit build (for 64-bit apps). Not sure how well may that work.
- Tried launch the codec installer in some kind of a "compatibility mode"? (Full admin access and/or an older version of Windows.)
- Finally, tried a player that may be able to play DOSBox captures with its own internal decoder? Two such players to try I'm aware of are VLC and MPC-HC. (I know for sure that VLC can play these. Don't recall trying the same with the latter.)
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

If it's the final level you're having trouble with, Paramultart, if I recall correctly, you want to avoid as many of the items at the start of the level as possible; the more you grab the stronger the boss is.

TroublesomeKeen: I don't know if this is helpful, but in addition to what NY00123 suggests, if there is a movie codec prescribed for windows 7, you may be able to run the installer in vista compatability mode and get it running. Did this once with an unrelated program back when I used vista.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Erm... That might actually be possible
It's possible, but it's darn hard. The official speedrun of all the eps is 20 minutes or s and is something to behold.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Ceilick and NY00123,
I tried a few different things and ending up messing up file location, shortcuts, destination folders... So I just reinstalled DosBox and ran the "Install movie codec" from the Start Menu as Administrator....and it worked! Weird. All the videos I'm stockpiled now play properly. This is good. Very good.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Ck asylum

Post by Bubzrulz »

Hi i cant get the ck asylum mod run gets to purple load screen and just keeps saying please wait what an i doing wrong
Last edited by Bubzrulz on Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:04, edited 1 time in total.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Ck asylum

Post by Nisaba »

what exactly did you copy into your asylum folder?
what you need is a fresh KEEN5E.EXE executable, which then needs to be decompresses with UNLZEXE.EXE.

it seems that you have also copied over EGAGRAPH, EGAHEAD, GAMEMAPS (from some other place) and a whole lot of other files into your game folder. this might have caused the problem.
please try the step mentioned above and report the results.
out now (link) : Image
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Re: Ck asylum

Post by Bubzrulz »

got it running deleted everything and started again