Does Bobby Prince plagiarize his work?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Commander Spleen wrote:
Poptart wrote:I still don't think Prince did anything wrong.
That's basically what I said. Grabbag is one of the best songs ever, and Megadeth themselves couldn't even do it right. Of course, that's probably because it's not just influenced by Megadeth, so their cover could be seen as an extraction of the parts they influenced.
I'm not sure if you know this, but Lee Jackson wrote Grabbag. :confused
Bobby Prince do E1L1, as well as some other pretty memorable tunes in Duke3D, though.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

-MegaTrip: wrote:Do you know what episode this is from?
That episode came out long after Keen - it's Episode 448 (21:07/LABF19), first broadcast on the 29th of November 2009 - "Rednecks and Broomsticks". I was referring to the fact that the song would have had to come from somewhere...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
-MegaTrip:
Vortininja

Post by -MegaTrip: »

Last edited by -MegaTrip: on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:41, edited 1 time in total.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

if you understand it it loses a bit of it's sparkle or it gains, depends on the art form. But most forms of popular and folk art lose a lot of their charm if you get behind it, and see there's nothing there.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

To quote Carl Sagan, it does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it. I've found that I can, with enough effort, dismiss any piece of art or music as cliche, even when it's not. That's because someone, somewhere had a vaguely similar idea. Certain motifs will appear in almost every art form simply because of the way people think.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Poptart wrote:I'm not sure if you know this, but Lee Jackson wrote Grabbag.
waitwaht

Huh. I was sure that was Bobby Prince. Oh well, there goes my entire contribution to this discussion. Carry on.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Re: Does Bobby Prince plagiarize his work?

Post by Flaose »

-MegaTrip: wrote:I can't seem to find out exactly which album by Aphrodite's Child this belongs to. I downloaded the "complete discography" of Vangelis from thepiratebay.
That's because it's from another Greek composer, Yannis Markopoulis. It's from the 1971 (I think) film, Vortex, The Face of Medusa (or, Das Gesicht der Medusa), probably the piece, "The Waltz of Medusa".
The song info says the album is titled "Novo titulo" which I take to mean "no title".
It actually means "New Title".

While some of Bobby Prince's tracks are definitely derivative of (or at least reference) other works, in this case I personally feel that the similarity is superficial. If the High Scores song is derived from an earlier source, this song isn't it.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

To be honest, I'm not sure why anyone cares at this point.
If every track he'd ever written was a clear copy of some earlier work, would we love the music any less?
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

RoboBlue wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure why anyone cares at this point.
If every track he'd ever written was a clear copy of some earlier work, would we love the music any less?
I would. But that's simply not the case.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"