Keen Fifteen: Hello, Galaxy!

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Zeus
Grunt

Keen Fifteen: Hello, Galaxy!

Post by Zeus »

After hours, nights and even days I just finished a first playable beta of my new Episode of Keen: Fifteen, Hello Galaxy! - a mod of Keen 5.

So, whats the story?

The Shikadi are back - with a big spaceship, the "Galaxymaker" and want to make a new galaxy to plan the ultimate destruction of Keen. But little Billy is way to smart and so he makes his way through the spaceship to destroy the final laser.

That's all, and due to the fact that its very late...I just got one more thing to say: I hope you have fun with it!

Download: http://kc-pes-liga.server105.isdg.de/Ke ... 0Galaxy.7z (.7z - File)
http://kc-pes-liga.server105.isdg.de/Ke ... Galaxy.zip (zip -File)

Please have a look at the Readme before you play first. Thanks!

Happy Keen Day! :-)
Last edited by Zeus on Wed Mar 14, 2012 19:51, edited 2 times in total.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Hey Zeus, I've been following your posts on the modding forums and I've been looking forward to this! I'll try it right away!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Would you mind zipping it? I don't have a program for 7z files and I really don't like downloading a whole program to open one file. I'm sure I'm not the only one :)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I agree, upload this in a .ZIP file. I probably won't be able to play it unless you do, and I'd really like to see this...
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

WinRAR takes care of the 7z. files for me. I like this so far! Good work! Happy Keen Day!
EDIT: I love the level design for the first level! I just beat it! (But not before dying a few times. The revolving platform dumped me into the ceiling shooters. xD) I did notice an unfinished pipe.
So..unto the next level!
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

So I downloaded WinRAR for the purposes of playing this...I still recommend you reupload in a .ZIP file but at least I can play it now. :P

Looks cute so far...I'm still playing through VBB and Paramultart's mod as well as doing non-Keen-related IRL things I have to do, but I look forward to giving this a run through.
Zeus
Grunt

Post by Zeus »

Oh, sorry...my fault...I'll just upload a .zip-file as soon as possible

*edit*
Added ZIP File Download.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Well, I wouldn't mind having just the 7Z even if I haven't yet got a program for that (and then, I'd download one, which would possibly be useful later).

Back on topic, though... well, I've got to complete the pack on Hard :O (And yes, with in-level saving, as usual...)

Gameplay-wise, it isn't a bad pack and I like a few specific things here and there. It's also been nice to see that, at least, a little of the text has been edited for the game end.

Of course, there are a few graphical things to fix (like borders), as well as other kinds of minor bugs. But this is a beta, and so is expected.

I'd mention a few issues other than graphical glitches that I could spot:
Level 8 - There's a glitchy shortcut to the right section (try climbing where the yellow gem resides).
Level 9 - What's the blue gem's purpose?
Level 10 - I know it's just a beta, so it might be edited later. I suppose there's a leftover from vanilla level 10 before modifying (the room with the fuses)?
Level 11 - In the second big section with the blue background, a goplat is unnecessary for reaching these sugar stoopies cereal items, below the door on the top-left?
Level 13 - Over the rightmost section, the game may crash as too many animating tiles and/or spirtes to be shown at once (mainly occurrences of the vitalin replacement).

Anyway, good work on it.
Zeus
Grunt

Post by Zeus »

Thanks for your postings so far!

Yes, it's a beta and I made everything to post it on this day, so in some areas there may be some sloppy work. I'm really sorry about that and it will be fixed in the next upcoming versions. Also I will do much more graphic-changes, but I just couldn't finish it up to today. :)

So, let me see:
Level 9: This is my alternative ending...at the first ending, there was the (blue) door.
Level 10: Yeah, the room is the only leftover of Keen 5. I just wanted to make a "Hmm...I have been here some time..." feeling. Perhaps I'll just adjust it a little in later versions
Level 11: I don't want to say to much...but there could be something unreachable without goplat :D
Level 13: I'll reduce the amount of vitalin in the next update...but I have to say, at all testing there was no crash.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I found a glitch!
:D

It's a fun levelpack so far. It's full of surprises, like in the level with the long hallway and all the poles, I pushed a button and went down to the hall to backtrack and... BAM! Robored out of nowhere at the beginning of the level. That was such a shocker since I was going up and down the poles and zipping in and out of the hallway so fast I didn't even see it until then. I'm on level 4 now, and it's INSANE!

The red makeover is nice, too, although it's funny since the omegamatic, which was a galaxy destroyer, didn't have so much red as this galaxy creator. Why is a galaxy creating device such a bad thing that needs to be destroyed, by the way? Oh well, Keen is smarter than me, so I'm sure he sees it's catastrophic potential :mort
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I have completed this on easy. This is not a bad levelpack. Keen 5 is my favorite official Keen game, so I almost always welcome Keen 5 levelpacks. In The Tunnel, I also noticed a blue gem with no corresponding gemdoor. I guess there must have been one at some point. What was it originally intended for?

Going to start my normal run soon. Plus I am also working on Marta's Keen Rescue, The Eight Accumulators on hard, DITD Community levelpack on normal and Clouds Unseen.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Hi again,

One thing I've forgotten to mention, possibly spotted by you beforehand Zeus: There are a few occurrences of a glitchy background tile. The reason: A sprite (e.g. an item) and an animating tile reside on exactly the same location (in the level editor). That shouldn't be done if one wants to avoid the glitch.

If the "animating" tile is not really animating (e.g. a bridge), then it doesn't seem to occur, though.
Zeus wrote:Level 11: I don't want to say to much...but there could be something unreachable without goplat :D
Ah... I can see now what you're referring to :)
Zeus wrote:Level 13: I'll reduce the amount of vitalin in the next update...but I have to say, at all testing there was no crash.
Here's a way I could reproduce it (on Hard difficulty): As you reach that place, don't obtain any of the items, yet try to go up on the goplat.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Well I finished...summer '12 is over....is it done yet?
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

I added this to http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Galaxy_Mods#Level_Packs
The original links are dead, by the way - good thing the mirror still works.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.