Suburb Shenanigans

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Suburb Shenanigans

Post by Bubbatom »

First up. Happy Keen Day for 2012! :birthday

Demo Video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmr5TzwOaHc

Thought this would be a great day to announce my new mod entitled; Commander Keen in Suburb Shenanigans!

I've been working on this project for some time now (basically started the day after I released The Eight Accumulators), and it's coming along quite well.

APRIL 22 EDIT:
So I finally got the title screen done. I'm pleased with it, certainly better than The Eight Accumulator one. I planned to place a tyre swing below the "Suburb Shenanigans" text (which is there in the level), but I thought that the screen would look too over crowed. All the main colours for the "Commander Keen" text were taken, so I chose green, but then flipped the shading. Anyway, chuck in your thoughts, and any ideas. Thanks.

Here are some of the shots I've got so far (Note that these images aren't from actual levels, they just show off some the graphics):

Early stages of Keen's room.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that keen's outfit is his school uniform that is of course explained in the story.

So yeah, it's a keen 5 mod based in the suburbs, more specifically backyards, houses, Keen's school and also Keen's house along with a few extras, like a burger joint on the corner.
I must admit that the levels will definitely not be very Keenish at all (I can't see how a keen mod based on Earth could have Keenish level design), but I will be creating at least two more mods after this one that will surely have Keenish level design :p .
Also creating the graphics is a pain, because I'm not coming up with the objects (they've already been invented).

I don't have much of a story yet but it will revolve around Keen being late for school, missing the bus and then arriving at school late, and getting a detention and then finishing off the school day. All this will be set up by Mortimer who doesn't want keen getting to school on time for one reason or another (probably something to do with a test or an exam that Mortimer feels Keen has an upper hand on).

As for enemies, this will probably be the hardest part of the construction of this mod. I have two enemies that I will certainly be using, these are a Janitor (who will be based off of a strange yet funny picture that I came up with) and Mortimer who you will face at least three times (although quite weaker than what he was in Keen 9), you'll battle Mortimer for the bus at one stage of the game.

Music wise. I've got the fabulous _mr_m_ doing some of the tracks. But, I thought I'd ask if anyone else was interested. If so give me a pm telling me your interested.

I haven't needed to do much patching as of now, but I've briefly talked to Levellass on the irc and will probably need some unique patches later on.

That's about it for now, and once again Happy Keen Day! :dopefish

APRIL 22 EDIT:
Just chucking in the newer shots to this post to make it the post to check for new stuff.

That's it for now. This shouldn't be too long off.
Last edited by Bubbatom on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:38, edited 5 times in total.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Please excuse my while I pull my jaw off the floor, and hereby retire from modding forever. My mod Where Is Everybody had basically the same idea, but wasn't anywhere near this... good. Wow. I applaud you.
This is possibly the most beautiful Keen game I have ever seen.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Come on Para! WIE will still be a great mod! And I was really looking forward to doing the levels for it! PS: Ceilick gave me a demo of WIE and the graphics were astonoshing! Plus I really loved the insides of the buildings! You should continue the project!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Wow. Those are some amazing screenshots indeed. I could imagine this being an awesome item-based adventure game.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Re: Suburb Shenanigans

Post by DoomJedi »

OMG the idea and the screens look amazing. Wow.

Loved your last mod too :) Got stuck in the waters though.
Also creating the graphics is a pain, because I'm not coming up with the objects (they've already been invented).
You mean you lack ideas for objects...or the fact that you can't invent any-look objects and need to make art that will be recognizable of known objects?
I can throw you tons of ideas for objects for both indoor and outdoor (donnow which ones you already used).
Outdoor - trash cans, phone booth, street lights, mailboxes, road signs, cars, ATM machines.......
Indoor is full of object ideas as well.
Years of Wolf3D modding experience helps :)
I can help you maybe with some of the art.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

That's bloody fantastic!

Considered an angry/guard dog in a garden as an enemy? (Just don't make it like the ones in Titus the Fox! :P )
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

DoomJedi wrote: Loved your last mod too :) Got stuck in the waters though.
What waters would those be?

And thanks for those ideas, if I do need some help with making some graphics I'll be sure to ask :)
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Bubbatom wrote: And thanks for those ideas, if I do need some help with making some graphics I'll be sure to ask :)
I forgot how to escape the big fish :)
What's the tactics?
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

DoomJedi wrote: I forgot how to escape the big fish :)
What's the tactics?
Tapping ctrl rapidly helps you swim faster, and luring school fish close to the dopefish will cause the dopefish to ignore you and eat the school fish.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Sorry for such a noob question.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Man, these graphics. Between this and Atroxian Realm I think we're hitting an all-time high in mod eye-candy.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

This really knocks my socks clean off! These will be my new desktop! Happy Keen Day!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

This is some gorgeous work indeed. It's heartening to see projects of this caliber come by. :) Keep it up good sir.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

I like this. It's great.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

So Commander Keen has the picture that was taken of him receiving the golden 'V' hung up in his room? Does his mom ever see it?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass