Keen 1 Redone dillema

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Rucka
Grunt

Keen 1 Redone dillema

Post by Rucka »

I'm on the 2nd level of the Keen 1 Redone mod. I'm at a spot where the hover board cannot lower itself down, since it is suspended by soda cans. Can anyone please advise?

Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I haven't played the mod, but I'm guessing that the soda cans are simply items (like any normal mod/game) and aren't actually obstructing the platform. Check that switch that's under it and look around for other switches you may be missing. Of course, it might just be a troll.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen 1 Redone dillema

Post by Syllypryde »

Rucka wrote:I'm on the 2nd level of the Keen 1 Redone mod. I'm at a spot where the hover board cannot lower itself down, since it is suspended by soda cans. Can anyone please advise?
I have played this level. Let me play this level again to see if I can duplicate that error and if so how to avoid it.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Great Gargs! I didn't even know this mod existed! This will come in handy for my "Eye of the Yorp" project. I downloaded it, and got to the second level. The Soda Cans seem to have some weird tile properties. Keen actually bumps his head when jumping up to get them. But Keen can get Soda when falling on the Soda or touching it from the side. So I'm guessing the Soda Cans mistakenly have a "Flat bottom" tile property, which might be why the Goplat can't pass through it.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Rucka
Grunt

Post by Rucka »

Indeed, it's a neat little mod. The first level begins very similar to level 1 of Keen 1. Level 2, though, is basically level 2 of Keen 5. It appears this mod was abandoned (according to what I read on Keen Wiki). I love the concept, of course. I hope somebody takes on Keen 1-3 in "Goodbye Galaxy" form!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Garg, there's so much to do. I never was any good at inventing new things. But I'm fairly good at reshaping and tweaking preexisting stuff. I would love to drive this mod to the finish line, but there's so many other amazing abandoned mods, like Xkykeen4. Sometimes in my daydreams, I fancy my sacred Keen-calling is to finish all abandoned mods. I have plans for a Spot (Norp?) the Yorp episode (on Mars) which will essentially be Keen 1, using the Keen 5 engine--which is exactly what we have here. So....hmmm. Galaxy mods take too long to make!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Rucka wrote:Indeed, it's a neat little mod. The first level begins very similar to level 1 of Keen 1. Level 2, though, is basically level 2 of Keen 5. It appears this mod was abandoned (according to what I read on Keen Wiki). I love the concept, of course. I hope somebody takes on Keen 1-3 in "Goodbye Galaxy" form!
Random levels were remade. If you use the warp cheat you can find and play those levels.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

actually, if you see the shikadi pole attack, you'll notice that it goes sideways.

that was the basis for cybloogs in K9, IIRC
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Hey Rucka, glad to see you tried my mod! Level 2 is just a scrap level that was never meant to be played. All that happened was that the new graphics and other stuff changed up one of the original levels. I believe there are 4 levels in the game to play, you should be able to warp around to find them. Also the soda cans having a flat bottom was intentional, though it seems pretty dumb to me now :crazy
This will come in handy for my "Eye of the Yorp" project.
Sounds awesome, glad to see my little idea got noticed. I encourage you to start a small new project rather than continue this. I moved on from this project a long ago to make better things.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Gridlock wrote:Sounds awesome, glad to see my little idea got noticed.
You bet, Griddy! Started work on it today. Turning out pretty well!
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

So you are still modding the original K1 Redone? If you want my advice, it would be better to start from scratch. There have been a few occasions when several community members attempted to remake Keens 1-3 in Galaxy style, but they have all fallen through. However, you might find some use for the graphic work that was already done. I can try and find some of those resources for you.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Gridlock wrote:If you want my advice, it would be better to start from scratch.
Right you are. I started out with a clean copy of Keen5. This project won't be a K1 Redone by any means. This is simply a Galaxy mod that takes place on Mars. We'll see how well I can fuse Keen 1 and 5 together to reinvent that old K1 Mars look in Galaxy style. This is looking to be a quick and easy project. But maybe not. Any resources you can provide would be greatly appreciated!