Commander Genius v0.4 Beta is out

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Commander Genius v0.4 Beta is out

Post by gerstrong »

Hi,

the long awaited CG v0.4 is out, but it's still beta.

This time we have beta 2.

Check it out!

http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/
Having fun developing stuff...
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

This is the first time I ever played Commander Genius. The jumping feels a lot smoother. I can tell Keen's been given a lot more air control than in the original.

I was disappointed that the other players are just keens with different colored shirts. The alpha screenshots promised you could play as Spot(Norp) or Marta, but they don't seem to be in this release. The way this was implemented is unusual. There's no split screen, the players aren't bound to the same area, and it appears there's no network mode, but you get buttons that changes the focus of the camera to the character you want. Sort of like Sonic the Hedgehog, except this may get cumbersome when no player is invincible and everyone is fighting over camera control. I guess you just have to try to stick together.

Overall this is turning out to be an amazing source port and I'm sure the multiplayer mechanics will be getting more fleshed out in future releases :drool
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

VikingBoyBilly wrote: I was disappointed that the other players are just keens with different colored shirts. The alpha screenshots promised you could play as Spot(Norp) or Marta, but they don't seem to be in this release. The way this was implemented is unusual. There's no split screen, the players aren't bound to the same area, and it appears there's no network mode, but you get buttons that changes the focus of the camera to the character you want. Sort of like Sonic the Hedgehog, except this may get cumbersome when no player is invincible and everyone is fighting over camera control. I guess you just have to try to stick together.
Thanks for the feedback, but please check the resources we provide. Marta might be missing in the HQP as in the next release it will be for episode 3 and spot is already playable once you installed HQP we provide on our side.

Please check that out first. You can use any sprites you want for the others players, once again, check HQP.

CG is an interpreter of the games not the game itself. It needs resources, and in our case the Commander Keen games. Spot and Marta were never part of these resources so extra resources are required. That is the reason of HQP which provide music, other sounds and more sprites for the multiplayer modes.

As for the split screen. We have discussed that issue and I still doubt, that it's a good idea having the screen split up, especially when it comes to four players. Multiplayer on one PC should be cooperative.

What goes for networking well, I really would like to see some multiplayer over the network. It would be an awesome experience. Someone wanted to implement that, but nothing happened so far.

I have a huge list of features and todos to implement. So, sorry if it has to wait. Savegame states for Galaxy go first and I still need to finish Episdoe 4 support.

And also remember. It's still Beta
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

A new Mac version is up as well now.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

pizza2004 wrote:A new Mac version is up as well now.
Cool! Gonna link that right now. Only iPhone is missing, oh well has been for years...
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Yeah, Albert was the one who built that iPhone version. I'm not really sure how to make it run on the iPhone. Oh, and you should label the Mac version as Intel, not universal, I can't make universal binaries anymore, so this'll only run on newer Macs that are Intel.