Sign of the Vool

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Ceilick
The Dude

Re: Sign of the Vool

Post by Ceilick »

Thanks for the enthusiasm guys!

Since this is an older project being resumed, and things have changed a bit over time, would it be desirable to start a new thread for this mod?

I've made some progress since my previous announcement, despite only having a few days a week to work. I've got the first three level drafts coming together and have started focusing on some graphical improvements to the backgrounds (thank you to the folks on the keen discord for the feedback!)

As soon as I'm satisfied with how the graphics are looking in these levels (this is mostly background refinement), the levels will be ready for testing and adding creatures. I don't usually work this way, adding creatures last, but since some of the creature behaviors are a work in progress (and indeed maybe I'll want to create some creatures that better suit the level structure), this is the route I'm taking.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Ceilick wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 19:30would it be desirable to start a new thread for this mod?
I don't think you need to do that. I would simply edit the first post, write that the designs have changed and add a link to the more recent posts in the thread. But if you want to start a new thread instead, make sure the old one gets locked so you won't end up having to manage two threads on the same topic.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

I wouldn't start a new thread either. but you might wanna consider updating the images in your first post. they are all gone. (your dropbox account seems to be dead...)
for quick access you could use these image links instead:

Code: Select all

http://www.shikadi.net/wiki/keen/images/1/13/Sign_of_the_Vool.png
http://www.shikadi.net/wiki/keen/images/6/69/Mod-ingame-Sign_of_the_Vool.png
looking forward to further updates. I'm really excited about this mod!
out now (link) : Image
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I'll try to post an update which will reintroduce the mod this weekend.

Until then, is anyone interested in composing music for this project? Most of the composers I've worked with in the past have since left our community (although if any of them are reading, I'd love the opportunity to work together again!). Nisaba has given me a couple references which I'll contact as well. Please post or PM if you are interested :)
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

If you want to check other places, I‘d suggest jimmy from the ZDoom community
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Thanks Tormentor, if my current leads don't pan out I'll follow you up on that suggestion.

Progress has been a little slow, I haven't had a lot of time and most of it has been put toward fixing issues with graphics and tiles. A lot of what I had designed years ago has significant flaws and missing pieces.

My current objective is to complete levels 1-3 and present the community with a demo video.

To do that I need to:
  • Fix some tiles so the levels don’t look too crap (most time consuming task)
  • Finish the level design (easy, they're mostly done)
  • Finish the tile properties so these levels are playable (easy)
  • Possibly tweak the enemy graphics for those in this level? (I'm not sure I'll even need to do this, probably easy if I do)
  • I'd like to have some music for the demo (I've got a couple songs now, but want a few more so that I can actually match them up to levels)
  • Testing & Finalizing for the video (easy)
I've also updated page one of this thread to better introduce this mod in its current state. Check it out!
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Ceilick wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:31 I'll try to post an update which will reintroduce the mod this weekend.

Until then, is anyone interested in composing music for this project? Most of the composers I've worked with in the past have since left our community (although if any of them are reading, I'd love the opportunity to work together again!). Nisaba has given me a couple references which I'll contact as well. Please post or PM if you are interested :)
I'll see what I can contribute. I moved in December 2017 and hope my computer that has all my Keen-related stuff on it survived the trip :mortlol .
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Oman, Mr. Music himself makes an appearance :O Good to see you back!
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

I've played many mods and feel like I should contribute somehow, but I don't know much about coding and the like. The most likely way I'd be able to contribute is something with music. If I go that route, how would I be most helpful?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

My first suggestion would be to take a look at Ceilick's and Mr.M's music/sound tutorial section over here:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_Ga ... and_Sounds
out now (link) : Image
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Is this mod still in developement?
I'm waiting news from 2 years. The screenshots are so exciting
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

It hasn't been for some time. I think about putting something together with it once and awhile, but I really don't have reliable time to work on it, and I'm for sure out of practice when it comes to graphic design, let alone the rest of modding. Perhaps someday I'll have time make something from what was finished.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Oh wow! Ceilick himself! Good to finally see you here :) 🍻
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Ceilick wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:00 It hasn't been for some time. I think about putting something together with it once and awhile, but I really don't have reliable time to work on it, and I'm for sure out of practice when it comes to graphic design, let alone the rest of modding. Perhaps someday I'll have time make something from what was finished.
Finally you're here. I thinked you'll not return. If you need something, I can help
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Billy Blaze
Grunt

Post by Billy Blaze »

Ceilick wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:00 It hasn't been for some time. I think about putting something together with it once and awhile, but I really don't have reliable time to work on it, and I'm for sure out of practice when it comes to graphic design, let alone the rest of modding. Perhaps someday I'll have time make something from what was finished.
Loved myself in " The Universe is Toast!" Can't wait for Sign of the Vool :begging