Netkeen: Vorticons

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Ceilick
The Dude

Netkeen: Vorticons

Post by Ceilick »

I'm working on an expansion for Netkeen which will use galaxified version of the Keen 1-3 tiles. A majority of tiles have been completed and only grunt work of pounding out the platform sets and tiles for functionality remain. Anyone who would like a hand in this project can step up to help out with this task if they like.

That said, because of the style of tiles from Keen 1-3, a lot of artistic license has been taken in how to transform them to use the galaxy perspective. Anyone interested in trying their hand at whatever tiles from Keen 1-3 in the galaxy style are welcome to submit them.

Backgrounds and backdrops are needed. To show off some work that's been done:

Tantalus Machine

Martian landscape taken from Dr. Colosus' Keen 1 remake, modified by me to be a bit more consistent with the original Keen 1.

Vorticon VI, this is ripped from Cosmo and recolored by me.

Original backgrounds and tiles are welcome, but for this project, I'm okay with ripped/modified material.

Netkeen: Vorticons will swap out four characters from the original Netkeen. Removed characters will be: Mortimer, Council Member, Council Page, and Pajama Keen. New Characters are:

Anyway, yeah, working on this, any help is appreciated.

Edit: Additionally, everything worked on here will be extremely useful, I imagine, for future mod projects which might revisit the early episodes. I hope to have material for nearly everything except the world maps.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Ah splendid, splendid. I'll fiddle around with a few tiles and post again if'n I happen to draw anything decent. Fantastic work, Ceilick. This expansion wil be...craaaazy awesome.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

It's my day off and I'm making today's goal to finish the Keen 1 foreground tiles. Interested in helping? Stop by #KeenModding.

Additionally, this project will need music. I plan to utilize some songs from Bobby Prince used in other games, however, anyone interested in submitting some upbeat and quirky tunes for this project are welcome.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Keen 1 foreground tiles are complete:

A majority of this is my work, however, a few items are borrowed from Dr. Colossus' Keen 1 Remake. Suggestions and comments welcome, on what's here or what is missing.

On to Keen 2.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I've just made some changes to the surface of the mars rock.

Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

@Ceilick: Have you considered using Keen 9's Frosthool as inspiration for Ice City? Keen 4's Crystalus is a pretty good base for an ice level too. Whatever you decide, don't forget to put in the snow-yorp. :V

@wiivn: Holy butterscotch, that looks gorgeous! The flesh-colored Keen makes me feel a bit uneasy, but other than that, nice job.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

My plan was just to use the frozen standard mars terrain; the cyan recoloring of it. However, I may ice/snow it up a bit. Seems I forgot the snow yorp, as well as the yorp and garg statue. Will address these at some point.

Nice mockup, wiivn, may use your version of the platform top. I'm not really a fan of using the Cosmo plants though.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Duplex: ignore the colorful Keen. NetKeen is EGA.
Well here are the rest of the tiles of this type:

I didn't test all of the tiles for matching though.

Here's another mockup, this time a bit different:
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Lol. And thanks for the completed platform set there.

Since you did a fine job with the martian terrain, thought I'd put up the template for the Keen 3 platforms for you or anyone else to work on.

Edit: Keen 2 complete:
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I'm not sure which solid wall style you're up to.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

The solid wall/side of the platform should be the Keen 3 one; the sides on the slopes and stuff are from Keen 6 and need to be replaced. Thanks for your work!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I think that's the best possible way to speed up our projects. Someone post a tileset and everyone contribute something until it's finished or at least near finished. That way the process time of creation will drastically improve.
Ok that is it from me for now.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

wow wiivn you're great at making the light source work on slopes, I never managed to get those right, and neither did ceilick.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Once I drew some Galaxy Keen 1 stuff. Just a few things. I just couldn't imaging how to make an animating book 16 by 16. So I took Keen's book and made it brown:

Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Keen 3 is nearly done, just the grey rocky platform to do. I'm starting the masking process today.

Here's how things look at the moment:

Any idea, suggestions, etc? Feel free to add them or comment.

Backgrounds are up next. Here's what I have so far:

Look through the original Keen 1-3 levels on the wiki, think about what kind of backgrounds we want. Probably several smaller patterns for outdoor and indoor martian locations. Some indoor Vorticon VI locations: the ninja barracks, school house, subway, etc.