Where Is Everybody?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Flaose wrote:Also, it should be red. Red barrels explode.
Or green, labeled with NITRO.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So, red barrels explode when flamed, green barrel's explode when touched. Enemies can set off barrels.

Keen lives in Clearfield.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

lurvellurse wrote:somethingsomething msuci
I'm not sure if I still have the project file for that song. If I recall correctly, I wrote all of those for a collection of Monster Bash mini-games I was working on back in 2009, before my computer crashed. I'll do some digging and let you know.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Levellass wrote:So, red barrels explode when flamed, green barrel's explode when touched. Enemies can set off barrels.

Keen lives in Clearfield.
Don't forget to have some barrels leaking. And you have to make the Booji Boy appear too: http://youtu.be/eUrhcwm34Uk?t=1m27s
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Puddles of sewage are already set up, as are normal 'safe' barrels that can however be destroyed by explosions.

I based it of course on Dangerous Dave 3. However, getting goodlooking barrels in Keen's 2.5D perspective is tricky. Does anyone have any sprite ideas I might look at?
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

I did this in paint in a minute just as a demo of a perspective/shading that might work. It's the wrong size and everything, I know, but here:
Also maybe make the top of the barrel even less visible.

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Yeah, that's at about the state I'm in; what I have aren't barrels by fancy cylinders and they just don't look right:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/zubb.bmp
Dr. Kylstein
Vortininja

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Quick but better, don't know how you people do it.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Ok, so recently another issue has arisen to which I have given much thought and advice about which I am eager to hear.

With the release of new Suburb Shenanigans glimpses it has become obvious that there is a lot of similarity, graphics-wise and theme-wise between that mod and my own. In some cases it's darn near copyright-infringing. (Our houses for example are exceedingly similar in design.) Redoing the most obvious analogues will already add a month to the mod development schedule at least.

The question that arises is, given the current similarity, should I rearrange more of the project to be less similar to SS; focusing less on the shops and houses aspect say and maybe more on the Industrial locations in Keen's home town? Should I design my graphics to be as different as possible, or accept some similarities and continue on? I await your comments.

Also, if Lemm is out there, do you know how Keen 5 handles Keen's shot height? That is, how far away from Keen his bullets appear? I should much like to alter that.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Keep going with what you've got. I bet that they'll end up being very different in the end and it'll be fun to compare!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Stick with your plan - if you add another 1-9000 months to your production schedule there will probably be another mod out in that time that looks like your redesign (though probably not as good), and then what will you do? Start that bit again?

When inventors see someone working on a similar product, they just do theirs the best they can. They don't go off and do something else.

Plots will probably be different (unless you really ARE copying files, hmmm? HMMM?), so so as long as there are few bugs in either game I don't care if they look similar or not. I think others will agree with that.

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

When inventors see someone working on a similar product, they just do theirs the best they can. They don't go off and do something else.
I think Steve Jobs put it best when he said:

"I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

I'd sue, but I'm currently defending my unauthorized use of Apple's patented 'Letters'(TM).
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

Steve Jobs wrote: I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this.
Gee, if only that company hadn't patented rounded rectangles, man!
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I was going to look up whether I had a legal case, but it turns out they own page turning too.