Mod, skin, half-mod...what will it be???

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

What should become of this?

Graphics skin only
No votes
Graphics and some text/sound patches
No votes
Graphics and some text, sound and gameplay patches
No votes
Mini-mod
27%
Full-on mod
53%
Other
7%
Decline to state, I like watching StupidBunny be decisive
13%

Total votes: 15

StupidBunny
format c:

Mod, skin, half-mod...what will it be???

Post by StupidBunny »

So it's not my style to announce things until the moment I release them, but for this project I will make an exception. Some of you might remember Commander Keen in the Bobrick Tower, which I released for the last Keen Day. You might remember how I said it had been in development on and off for almost 4 years before the time I finally released it.

Well, believe it or not, I have another not-abandoned project in the works which is even older, predating The Bobrick Tower in its beginning by at least a couple months and by now close to a year older. The funny thing too is that it has always been more limited in scope: from its inception I have intended for it to be a simple graphics skin of Keen 3, replacing all sprites and tiles but leaving everything else intact.

But as I enter yet another burst of enthusiastic rejiggering and updating of my existing work on this thing I have started considering other alternatives besides a simple graphics replacement. And, as always when we feel indecisive, I turn to the Keen community for suggestions and direction.

I'll establish right now that, even as a graphics skin, the gameplay will be a bit different, since the Keen sprite is now only a tile tall. (Also the meep replacement has a shorter shot but in practice it doesn't seem to change much.) The story I have in mind is silly and very limited, in keeping with the fact that it is originally a skin intended to make Keen 3 look more trippy and weird and colorful. It didn't even have a story in the first place but a half-baked one sort of materialized somewhere in the development process.

And, just for good measure, here is a screenshot as taken in Mr. Black's lovely levelpack, bearing in mind that there are still a couple of things here which will look totally different in the final version. Here is your first glimpse of 30 CAT III: The Hunt For Keen's Head:

Last edited by StupidBunny on Tue Nov 27, 2012 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

This looks so cool that only a full mod is an option!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

This looks so cool a graphics skin is an option!

Basically even if released as graphics fodder this would be good stuff.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

DAYUMN! Dat terrain under Keen is... triptastic. More of that kind of thing, if you please, you Intelligent Rabbit. The whole thing is amazing. Those things that I am gonna call 'tree-tops' are very Duke Nukum 1. And, is this the first time beer has been an item in a Keen mod?? I recall I sequestered a pint of Guinness or something in the bowels of one of the impenetrable levels of Exiting Epsilon, probably wasn't drunk by very many eight year old genii. So this is probably the first proper beer item. Keen can legally drink even in the US by this stage, surely.

Now we've this to salivate over as well as Vool and... *ahem* Spleen's mods. And probably lots of other things. Full mod for this!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Oh wow. Looks crazy good. You sure you didn't sneak a seventeenth color in there? This must be a full-scale mod, complete with music and fireworks!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Don't spoil good work by just re-skinning and making only minor changes. Go full-on, man! FULL-ON!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

So in keeping with the public will as well as a new spurt of ideas for this thing, I have decided to make this a full-on mod.

Making the transition from skin to mod will take a bit of a mental push though. I'll need to draw up a .tli file for the tileset, and, more critically, get rid of and replace a bunch of the tiles, some of which I've already redrawn, that will not be used in the mod itself (for one thing, I really don't need two alphabets for this.) From that point I won't be able to test the tileset with the Keen 3 levels very well any more, which will mean more or less that I'll have to begin level building. At least I'll be able to kick that off with a pretty much complete tileset though. It'll also be an interesting challenge working with the diverse but more generalized tiles I have, since most of the works I've released evidence the fact that I like tile specialization a lot, either in terms of specific/one-use tiles or else thematic levels and the like. I don't think that'll be too much of a problem though. This is going to be fun. :)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

This makes the graphics replacement in Keen Rescue look like a lazy rush job. o wait it was.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

StupidBunny wrote:So in keeping with the public will as well as a new spurt of ideas for this thing, I have decided to make this a full-on mod. This is going to be fun.
Full-scale mod? New ideas? Never-seen-before artwork? Behind-the-scenes? Oh this is splendid! By the bouncing barrels of blarney, bubble over!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I love the Stones item! And, as Benvolio made reference to, it's weird to see the beer can in Keen :P
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Keening_Product wrote:...it's weird to see the beer can in Keen
True, true. But no worries. Keen can't drink it anyway.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Hmmmn, I must include a beer can in one of my mods.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.