Valentine's Keen

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Re: Valentine's Keen

Post by Grimson »

Sorry for the bump, but I have a problem extracting the music from this mod using KeenWave. It gives me the following error:

Sounds is of unknown type:-14942197
Error at sound 0

Alas, KeenWave doesn't work on Windows 10 without Dosbox, so I can't use its drag & drop (menu) feature :(
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Hmmmn, I may need to make a 32 bit version. (Or was it 64? I forget.) I'll add it to my list. I do have the music as IMF and MP3 as a download, but maybe Dropbox changed the link...
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
enderandrew
Meep

Post by enderandrew »

Can you reupload this mod? The existing links are giving me a 404 error.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

enderandrew wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 20:14 Can you reupload this mod? The existing links are giving me a 404 error.
Hi @enderandrew,
I'd like to point out to you that we have a wonderful wiki where you can find up-to-date download links for this and countless other beautiful mods:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Command ... ntine_Bash
out now (link) : Image
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

The game always freezes. I have added the keen4e file from "Commander Keen 4", as it probably should be, but when I run the game (I use D-Fend Reloaded, not "raw" DOSBox), the game doesn't start and the DOSBox window becomes unresponsive. Any advice? Which file should I use to run it?
PuddlePoop
Grunt

Post by PuddlePoop »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:29 The game always freezes. I have added the keen4e file from "Commander Keen 4", as it probably should be, but when I run the game (I use D-Fend Reloaded, not "raw" DOSBox), the game doesn't start and the DOSBox window becomes unresponsive. Any advice? Which file should I use to run it?
This is a Keen 4 mod. So you don't need to add to it anything as Keen 4 was released as shareware so you can distribute the original exe freely. I suggest to simply re-download from the wiki because whatever exe you put in there has replaced the one the mod came with.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

in order to run mods you want to search the mod's folder for a batch file. normally it's called something like "play.bat". Unfortunately though not all mods have been updated just yet. Meaning that some of which - Valentine's Keen included - don't come with the correct naming of that batch file. in such cases you want to search for whatever batch file the mod's folder comes with. in case of Valentine's Keen it is a file that's called "valkeen.BAT". Run this to start the game.

EDIT: I've just updated the Valentine's download package. If you re-download the zip file you should now find a "play.bat" file to run the game.

In case of Keen 2, 3, 5 & 6 mods you'll also need to add the respected executable file (KEEN*E.EXE) as this is not free software and therefore is not usually distributed with mods.

Most Keen 1 & 4 mods however are already equipped with the needed executable.

BTW you can find a full list of Keen Galaxy mods over here: https://keenwiki.shikadi.net/wiki/Galaxy_Mods
out now (link) : Image
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I managed to get the game running, the first piece of advice helped. However, I now need gameplay-related advice: how to open keyless doors??????? I can't figure it out and it already left me unable to complete a level after I almost got to the exit...
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Really. Sorry to bother you, but I can't figure it out. Some doors have a lock nearby, opened with a key, analogous to gems in most Commander Keen games. But some doors are closed and yet they don't have a "keyhole". How do I open them?? I'm stuck because nobody told me that...
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 23:09 Really. Sorry to bother you, but I can't figure it out. Some doors have a lock nearby, opened with a key, analogous to gems in most Commander Keen games. But some doors are closed and yet they don't have a "keyhole". How do I open them?? I'm stuck because nobody told me that...
If you tell me what stage you're on I can help you. There's a few stages in this mod where you obtain a key that can open multiple doors in the stage, but you have to decide on just 1. In a lot of cases, it's just a way to access some extra goodies like a stash of points, an extra life, anything. As far as I know, whatever door you choose to open shouldn't prevent you from being able to complete the stage, and sometimes there's multiple exits.
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

It's the Dead Forest level. The blue key (to the far right of the level) is needed to exit, but it's behind a keyless door (to the far left) and I don't know how to open it. I had enough trouble with the underground section, constant saving and reloading... I do enjoy many platform games, but I am double-left-handed and can only play Commander Keen games with lowest difficulty settings and a lot of saving mid-level... (Good that it's available, unlike in "Secret Agent" for example... But "Secret Agent" is much easier.)
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:52 It's the Dead Forest level. The blue key (to the far right of the level) is needed to exit, but it's behind a keyless door (to the far left) and I don't know how to open it. I had enough trouble with the underground section, constant saving and reloading... I do enjoy many platform games, but I am double-left-handed and can only play Commander Keen games with lowest difficulty settings and a lot of saving mid-level... (Good that it's available, unlike in "Secret Agent" for example... But "Secret Agent" is much easier.)
Ahh yes, The Dead Forest is easily one of the most difficult stages of the game, and certainly one of the most annoying just for how much backtracking you have to do. I know what you mean about the underground section, those spears don't make it any easier to make some of the jumps. I just played through the stage to remember where everything is, and this is what I found:

The doors aren't keyless, the keyholes for most of the doors are spread out throughout the level. The yellow key opens the door to the blue key, and the keyhole is in the underground portion on a platform above the part with the werewolves. Something you may also be interested in is that there's a way to spot secrets. It's very subtle, and you may not catch it at first, but a lot of secret passages are marked by the ground being a slightly darker color.

Also, just a little advice: save your game often. There's several stages (usually stages where ghosts appear) in this game that are vulnerable to crashing at random, so if it happens, just reset the game and it should be fine after.
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Edit: OK, level finally completed.
But now I'm kinda stuck at the Witch's Cottage level for technical reasons. In some previous level that creature from the shadow told Keen that he can summon a broom when standing on the pentagram. Now it even said how to steer it... But what should I press to actually summon it???? Up doesn't work, down either, jump or pogo stick keys don't...
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:30 Edit: OK, level finally completed.
But now I'm kinda stuck at the Witch's Cottage level for technical reasons. In some previous level that creature from the shadow told Keen that he can summon a broom when standing on the pentagram. Now it even said how to steer it... But what should I press to actually summon it???? Up doesn't work, down either, jump or pogo stick keys don't...
To summon the broomstick, simply stand on the hexagram, wait a few seconds, and it will happen automatically. It works just like the crescent moons on the floor in Keen 4. I will say this though: it's kind of difficult to control, but to use it, simply use the arrow keys to go in the direction you want. It automatically moves you forward, but if you press control, it can slow you down or enable you to go backwards. Just remember that once you're on the broom, you can't get off it.
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Another tricky question: how do switches look like in this game and where are they? I'm at the Carpe Jugulum level and there's a platform only moving very slightly... I think that I can't get to the door without using it, but I don't know how to make it move. I may have seen switches without realising that they are switches... ;)