Keen 2, secret level

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Keen 2, secret level

Post by Levellass »

So pretty much every game in the keen series has a secret level, bar keen 2. My question is, would it be better with one, or is it ok without, and, secondly, if it were to contain one, how would it work? What would be the best way to access it, in tune with the tone of the game as a whole?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Does anyone know why there wasn't one? Was it not a, you know, thing at the time, or was there a definite decision to not include one?

If there had been one planned and dropped for time or technical reasons, I think putting one in would be appropriate (if you're looking to mod one in).
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I bet they didn't have time to make one. Now I know very few people here adore this episode for unknown reasons, but this is the least favorite keen to the most people and to me as well, so I don't really care if it does or doesn't have. The fact that it doesn't contain a secret level makes this episode even worse. So no, it's not better. But if it had, it would slightly increase my interest to playing it a bit more at the time I played it, just to find it out.

As for where the secret level would be and how to be accessed...
Well, maybe a wall door opens at the left path in the middle of the bear after a specific level beaten, which will open a way to the six bolts. Or maybe door opens and you can access Billy's ship right before the last level. Which leads to the conclusion that the bear is female and you realize that Keen has landed in her vagina. Or anus, depending on the point of view. In all places where he could have landed, he landed in her vagina! Who designed that world map btw?
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

yeah imo every game should have atleast a secret level. im also a huge fan of easter eggs and stuff. bit depressing that this episode has nada.

maybe on the map the big creature shaped ship could have a tail and the secret level could be on the tip of the tail? and maybe the secret level could have another city to save? (er whatever those machines were called. tantalus rays?) and make whatever city to save be something wacky or something. maybe some Martian city? (nod to the first game) or maybe the city where the id guys made the game in.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

The fucl, bear? Isn't it a vorticon?
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

i thought it was a crocodile.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

The Vorticon mothership looks like a polar bear. If it was a vorticon, it should have been navy blue, like a real vorticon:

Last edited by Roobar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

More like a flying squirrel Vorticon.
I agree that white looks better for a space ship.
I do enjoy this one over Keen3, but the world map is a bit bland unless you're looking at the big picture. Just has too much white.

I really didn't notice there wasn't a secret level. If it did, it might be on the moon or some sub ship flying nearby. Similar to how Keen 5 and 6 have their bonus levels.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I personally would stick the secret level in the left middle of the map, on the map above you can see three levels in the middle right, but two in the middle left. I would have two on both sides with the third being secret, acessible maybe via secret passage.

Who designed that world map btw?
Id of course, the ones who inserted a nazi symbol in Keen 5, FUCL in Keen 2nad genitalia in Keen 3.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Levellass wrote:...
Who designed that world map btw?
Id of course, the ones who inserted a nazi symbol in Keen 5, FUCL in Keen 2nad genitalia in Keen 3.
Man, ID are weird sometimes. :moon
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I know it's id, but does only Tom Hall make the levels?
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Levellass wrote:genitalia in Keen 3.
I never knew about this either...
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Keen dreams has no secret level, but it is still fun.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

By the looks of the layout that wiivn posted, the entire starship is almost completely symmetrical. If there's a level on the right side of the ship, there's a level on the left side. Except! In the left armpit to the right of the--oh never mind. Here:

Seems a secret level should go there. Perhaps there is one there, secretly hiding in ghost codes and dodging level editors. But how to access it? Keen 6 satellite style? The Keen 4 Foot way? Doesn't seem so much 'in the spirit' of Keen 3. Perhaps in one of the levels there's a secret exit that spawns Map Keen in the secret level area?
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

I do believe that Ceilick had mentioned something about a secret teleporter.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!