2.5D Keen

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I take it he's not going to do that fast-paced, frakenstein/zombie-style walking like the original sprite? Or make a comical split in the air when jumping? :P
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

He looks more like a brawler bad guy ready to kick Keen's ass. It's not much how I imagined it, but given the simplicity of Keen 1 graphics, you can speculate much. But it's close enough. A lot of things when converted to 3D looks completely different, so yeah... Anyway, I doubt ronnie is going to mimic the fast move because it looks ridiculous even in 2D. We'll see.
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

New Build:http://josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest37.html
Linux: http://josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest37.tar.gz

So I have the Vorticon in and ready to test. I think he dies after 2 shots right now instead of 4. I'm also not completely sold on the electrical field around him, but I wanted a way for the Vort to kill Keen that was more convincing than the old video trope of "touch me and die". Any suggestions would be appreciated! :dead

I did get laid off from my job, so I'm not sure what that means for Keen. I'll probably have less time to work on it since between job hunting and freelance work, I'll be stretched pretty thin.

Let me know what you think of the Vorticon, I think next I need to model the ship parts and move on to the next levels!
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

Also... my new site is live with all of my SkyVu and Keen work:
http://www.josephmcarney.com
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

He looks cool, but I'm not a fan of the electric field myself. I've always felt that the Vorticon actually attacks rather than just walks into Keen, perhaps while it may not be entirely true to Keen you can add a swipe, kick or bite motion as an attack, it'll make more sense at least to me.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Indeed, I think that an attack animation would be much better. Like the enemies in Keen Dreams.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Yeah, I think the problem with the electrical field is that it would force you to use it for a bunch of other enemies too, since many of those kill on contact as well. If that electric shield could be worked into a special enemy behavior (like say the vorticon commander), it could be a neat extra though.

Not sure if you still plan of adding them, but that Vorticon model looks strange without eyes.

Also, I'm sorry to hear that you got laid off. I'm sure it's a brutal industry. I guess you were doing visual effects for games?
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Gridlock wrote:...
Also, I'm sorry to hear that you got laid off. I'm sure it's a brutal industry. I guess you were doing visual effects for games?
Yea, I forgot to say sorry to hear about your losing your job.

I remember reading something pretty disturbing, around 20% of games succeed. I'd imagine with a success rate of 1 from 5 it could get a bit cut throat.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

This is most impressive indeed.

I don't think you need too much; remember Crash Bandicoot? He just died on contact and we accepted it.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

It's nice to have the moving hazards in place ;)

Not sure if this, in the garg chamber, is intentional or not:

Also, I'm not sure but I don't think yorps register as being squished if jumped on from a very great height.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

This is neat! Very neat. I really dig the art style.

Not sure if it's relevant yet, but how are you gonna do with music?
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

What happened to the barren wastelands of Mars? What have the Vorticons done to it??

(Speaking of which... what were the vorticons doing there to begin with, before they stole Keen's BWB ship parts? And... hey, why the heck was Keen there? Just exploring around, as the story text will have you believe. I think it's sort of a plot hole :dead2 Or Mort somehow knew Keen was on mars at the time)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

It's obvious! The Vorticon military was already preparing their assault on Earth and likely used Mars as a forward base, which is why there was a Vorticon Commander stationed in the castle. Also explains their hostility towards Keen, as he must have already been famous as a Defender of Earth at the time.
Why was Keen there? That's a tough one. Certainly makes a lot more sense with lively cities everywhere though, instead of him exploring a barren desert.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Hey Ronnie! bug report on linux build: I shot the vorticon and his shield stayed behind after he died
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Nospike wrote:It's obvious! The Vorticon military was already preparing their assault on Earth and likely used Mars as a forward base, which is why there was a Vorticon Commander stationed in the castle. Also explains their hostility towards Keen, as he must have already been famous as a Defender of Earth at the time.
Why was Keen there? That's a tough one. Certainly makes a lot more sense with lively cities everywhere though, instead of him exploring a barren desert.
Keen was there to search for the famed Holy Pogo Stick, rumored to allow unnaturally high bounces. What 8 year old could resist such a treasure?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.