2.5D Keen

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

This is excellent.

...I don't really have much more to say about this.
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

mortimermcmirestinks wrote:...I don't really have much more to say about this.
Aside from the fact that Ronnie didn't post here in ages and this might become the next abandoned project... :(
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

wiivn wrote:
mortimermcmirestinks wrote:...I don't really have much more to say about this.
Aside from the fact that Ronnie didn't post here in ages and this might become the next abandoned project... :(
What!?
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I hope that means he's got a great job somewhere or something. That'd be neat.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Keening_Product wrote:I hope that means he's got a great job somewhere or something. That'd be neat.
Me too. He's got some great talent with modeling, I'd be staggered if he's not been snapped up somewhere good.
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

Sorry for the lack of updates! Still attempting to find some time to work on it. Thanks for the kind thoughts, I'm still job hunting but I've been able to find freelance work to pay the bills.
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

Haha, just played my latest build and forgot how much I like working on it. Though, I think I need to re-evaluate what the scope of the project should be. It's important to me to 'finish' the project, especially given the amount of support I've received from this community, but I have to make sure the project's end isn't perpetually on the horizon.

Assets left:
- Tank Robot
- Fire tile
- Dangling vine things
- Pipes (big, horizontal yellow ones you walk through)
- Ice cannon
- Ice tiles
- Icicles

Levels left: 4 - 16

Honestly, that list is a bit intimidating. I'm not confident I could get those assets done in a timely fashion given my schedule, and would like to find another way to finish up the project.

I'm thinking the best, and most realistic end to the project would be a few more levels using the existing assets. Does that sound good to you folks? I want to ask because I know you guys have been burned by abandoned projects before.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Well, firstly it's good to hear from you again. Good to hear you're at least getting some work. Secondly, while I can't speak for the forum as a whole I personally don't mind this being an incomplete game so much.

As far as I'm concerned you've already proven yourself as a talented modeler and it surprises me that you don't have a permanent job yet based on your skill.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

tulip wrote:This is what I love about the pckf. In the real world if you don't hear from anything for 5 years it's dead. Here it may just return any day.
That. Though I shouldn't be that surprised that you've abandoned the project. Every big fan made project that begins so promising ends unfinished at some state (for example Sonic Fan Remix, Monkey Island 2 Farcry engine, Keen: Next, Keengine...). Also, please update here more often even if you haven't done anything on the project. Also also I think the robot and fire assets should be easy to implement and must be made before making new levels.

Oh welll............
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I'd enjoy seeing just a few well-polished levels, almost as a proof of concept of a modern Keen remake. I'd rather see that than a failed attempt to make a full game. If it came down to it, you always have the option of passing down the project assets to someone else on the PCKF. Over the next one or two years I should be learning Unity, so maybe I would be able to help at some point.

I hope you find a job soon, especially with your talent. As someone who is seriously considering a career path in this general field, I can understand how difficult it must be to finish a project like this on your own time.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

It's your project, so do whatever is comfortable for you... Some people can work on a fan project like this off and on for years, but some of us just feel weighted down by the obligation. I don't know if that's you, but regardless, nobody should feel as though you owe them anything more than what you decide to give them.
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

Good news! I managed to land a job in the game industry so it's back to work for me :D

I should have some time now (after I move :P) to get some more work in on Keen. I'm going to make a few more levels and polish up the user experience with some better menu flow and call it good. Thanks for the input and helping me talk it through.
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

What?! New Build?! : http://josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest38.html
http://josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest38.tar.gz

Added a new level and fixed a couple of bugs.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Superb! The controls feel great to me, and the game looks great.
It's kinda funny though. The first impression you get of a yorp.. It paces around, mouth dangling open to show off their singular tooth, moving like a glob of green pudding. Not the most highly intelligent creature, one would guess. But then in the first shrine, this red hologram of a yorp appears and puts you down for not knowing anything about the Standard Galactic Alphabet. There's more to these wobbly little green creatures than meets the eye. :spot
You're like "Woah! Those one-eyed things that I zapped or squished last level can use holograms! More technologically advanced than I thought!" I like it. I like it a lot. This is a great game. It's almost too good, I'd say. It almost needs to full 16 levels. I'm super glad this project got this far. Thanks doing this, Ronnie! It's quite the grand spectacular! At least I think so. I might record a playthrough later on if I can get my recording equipment sorted out.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Hey, when I finished the 4th level it put me outside the 3rd. That's fairly easy to fix right?
Edit: Also, it's looking great! Glad you're still taking the time to work on this :)
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.