2.5D Keen

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I really like the way this is progressing. It plays really well and manages to feel pretty true to the original game. I'm amazed how much you managed to preserve the level design and feel of the original, while still making it distinctly something else. It's not exactly what I would expect out of a modern update, but I like how different it is. Keen 1 gives off more an ancient-yet-colorful vibe (I still can't unsee the world map levels looking like Native American structures), while this game is definitely more high-tech. Great job with this version.

I'd also love to see this expanded to a full game, but I can understand that you have better things to do. I'm glad you got a job, and I hope things go well for you. Seriously though, this game beta is incredible and I would love to be able to do stuff like this eventually.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

The vortininjas look stunning, though they're quite easy to beat.

Excellent work.

General tip for Linux users
You might need special permissions to launch from somewhere other than Home (second HDD for example). Copy to your home folder so you can set the file as executable.
You will probably need to install 32-bit binaries if you're running 64-bit.

Tips for OpenSUSE users
There are only two 32-bit components not included by default that need to be installed for this to run (though I had no text in the world map advice boxes, which I recall seeing in Ubuntu and Fedora a while back): libGLU and libXcursor. Install all depends, ofc.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
cyber zero
Vortininja

Post by cyber zero »

Really amazing stuff here. So awesome. :D
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Are these lollipops even possible to be taken? I'm not sure whether they were in the original one.
Image :confused
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

a little lower than they are now methinks, though I'm not sure.
you can check here:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Capital_City
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

I could never get them in all in the original, and I'll adjust them so that all are attainable.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I was able to get all but 3 lollipops in the original:
http://youtu.be/oBYWwM9NxxI

If the level were to go something like this:

it might be possible to grab all the lollipops. It's a little matter of raising the roof.
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:48, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

With a well timed impossible pogo you could get all but one of those lollipops in the original.

Definitely an enjoyable game and amazing graphics so far, though the subdued colours are not entirely my style. I would have saved the factory graphics for the actual technodrome buildings and given the blue dome cities a more homely appearance based around the original red bricks. It is nonetheless an intriguing and appropriate interpretation of the Martian environment.

The first dome level is amazing and wonderfully atmospheric with all the blue lights strung around the place. The holographic statue is a nice touch. Looking forward to your take on the green "cactus" city.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

*Slow whistle*

Impressive.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Still looking really good!

Other than the stuff that other people said, there was a place on the right side of one of the maps that I fell through. I can't seem to find it again, though. Also, one time I shot a Yorp and it kept pushing me back when I ran into it, even though it was displaying its death animation. This glitch would be problematic if it can happen with dangerous enemies.

Also also, a bit late but congrats on the new job!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

It won't play in any of my browsers :( And I'm too ignorant to figure out how to run the version for my computer either.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

And what browsers are you using? Just use firefox and install the unity plug-in.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

wiivn wrote:And what browsers are you using? Just use firefox and install the unity plug-in.
Unless it's on linux (no unity web plugin iirc) then you have to get the linux one.
or install firefox in wine and install the windows plugin from there
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

MoffD wrote:
wiivn wrote:And what browsers are you using? Just use firefox and install the unity plug-in.
Unless it's on linux (no unity web plugin iirc) then you have to get the linux one.
In which case, in addition to your Win FF via WINE suggestion:
Keening_Product wrote:General tip for Linux users
You might need special permissions to launch from somewhere other than Home (second HDD for example). Copy to your home folder so you can set the file as executable.
You will probably need to install 32-bit binaries if you're running 64-bit.

Tips for OpenSUSE users
There are only two 32-bit components not included by default that need to be installed for this to run (though I had no text in the world map advice boxes, which I recall seeing in Ubuntu and Fedora a while back): libGLU and libXcursor. Install all depends, ofc.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnf8aee3fwg6f ... M.jpg?dl=0

Sorry about the quality, my pc doesn't have internet yet so I had to snap this pic with my phone. So this is the level where keen gets the pogo for the first time.