Updated- 'The Ruin of Roib' - beta v3

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Updated- 'The Ruin of Roib' - beta v3

Post by Bernie »

If anyone is interested, I did a bunch of edits and fixes for this mod and I suppose i'll upload it tonight as Beta v3. here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dhggx92pn7or ... ta%203.zip

If you already had a play of it, I put in some intro music which is pretty cool imo ;) but the rest of the game is basically the same (well... read the following list to see whats different).

Beta v3 changes from v2:

*fixed the top left-hand corner of the 'blue shell' tiles (had foreground/background problems)
*changed a few small things in some levels.
*fixed keen shooting through 1 tile wide walls.
*fixed keen's shooting upward hitbox (couldn't shoot upward on sloped floors before).
*fixed a bunch of tile issues in various levels.
*made unused sounds small, to save a bit of memory.
*tiny bit of changing with a few of the used sounds (mostly unnoticable).
*added a Hazards page and a Contents page to the 'About Game' computerwrist section, aswell as fixing/changing around a few things in the computerwrist.
*fixed/changed the ending in Roib Palace so hopefully you can't jump over King Gak anymore.
*fixed the boss's smoke from staying still while offscreen.
*fixed/changed the moving platforms a bit.
*made the island that has the scoreboard level bigger (had some error where Keen would get dumped into the river when exiting that level).
*made the 'gem trees' animate/glow.
*messed around a bit with the Kreeg's shot so hopefully theres no chance it hangs around in memory, possibly causing problems.
*Fixed the Kreeg from spinning in the air after shooting on an edge (now he falls off and continues walking).
*changed the drone's movements a bit (mostly unnoticable).
*Cut a sliver out of levels 4 (Abandoned Tower) and 13 (Gleam City) to save on memory. Changed Gleam City a bit in response.
*added music to the intro which continues on to the 'star wars' story, which is a new song added (now also in the BWB Megarocket mini level).
*made the vertical roaches randomly pause a bit while walking (trying to give it a bit more realistic motion)
*managed to cut out 10 frames from the Keen sprite to save on memory (plus you can't really notice), also lessened some frame's motion quality, also for memory.
*made the hitbox for the yakki's speech bubbles more reasonable/better.
*cleaned up some of the background graphics.
*slightly changed keen facing right sprite graphic (changed his arm).
*edited the graphic for the corner scorebox.

--------------------------
(original post)=

I hope you guys don't mind I'm starting a new thread about this. :confused

Anyways I have a beta v2 of my mod right here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnmfd11a5af9d ... a%20v2.zip

and yes, hope that link works.

Theres a txt file in the zip with the changed I've made, but I'll put them here too:

Changes in Beta v2 from v1

*took out or moved some enemies to make the game a bit easier and to try to save memory on some levels.
*added some more ammo in earlier levels
*the 'Bugbug' enemy, after you touch it and glitches your screen, now disappears (hopefully shouldn't crash the game now).
*the 'Hints' section in the computerwrist actually has text now.
*you can now save and load the game for level 12 (Glass Gardens).
*fixed up some spelling and grammar errors.
*the 'boss'- cut out a frame and made its cache smaller, also fixed its death sequence a bit, and made it a tad slower.
*Fixed the 'consol' item on level 15.
*I partially (mostly) fixed the scorebox numbers disappearing after you talk to the Yakki (I think if your score is at 0, it still disappears though. eh, close enough)- talking to King Gak on level 14 still makes it happen though, unfortunately
*Ledge climbing Keen foreground value fixed.
*Added another Yakki to the map.
*Added some new graphics - wooden signs; sloped natural terrain tiles.
*Generally changed some things in various levels.
*In Hard mode, no more 'no free spots in spritearray' crashes.
*fixed the end level crosses on the map (doesn't constantly 'draw' every time you appear on the map)
*added some vertically walking roach sprites (would prefer to have their walking randomised though- couldnt get it to work)
*fixed the Springship's starting position
*fixed the keen sprite's shooting positioning and hitbox
*changed the music for the Prophecy Stone mini level

I think the only real problems with the mod now would be some memory issues with some levels, and perhaps balancing out the difficulty a bit. Let me know what you think.
Last edited by Bernie on Sun Jun 30, 2013 15:04, edited 2 times in total.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Good to see the apostrophes in there and the spacing to the left of the dashes fixed ;)

I like the little changes, like the flashing hotel signs (I don't recall seeing those in beta 1) and the vertically-moving cockroaches.

I did spot one bug in a very quick play of the updated game - one of those vertical cockroaches actually moves on top of the score box. It's the first one on the first level and it doesn't happen for any of the other vertical cockroaches I found in the three levels I played.

As below:

Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Good to see the apostrophes in there and the spacing to the left of the dashes fixed
you taught me good ;)

one of those vertical cockroaches actually moves on top of the score box.
yeah ive noticed that myself. im pretty sure its cause of the fact that the roaches have a foreground value of 3 and thus they go over everything, including the corner box. but i dont know if i can fix that :/ cause if i make the foreground value any lower, then the tiles that it walks over will appear infront of the roach (so some of the roach gets cut off). thanks for noticing though.
JBJBJB
Grunt

Post by JBJBJB »

Wohoo! =)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Wow! A lot of updates! This can be considered as a DLC these days...

I have an idea. Add some rust and dust to the score box! Or bullet holes perhaps?
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

wiivn wrote:Wow! A lot of updates! This can be considered as a DLC these days...
heh, im not even sure what that is :(

I have an idea. Add some rust and dust to the score box! Or bullet holes perhaps?
hmm, not a bad idea.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Or have the red text flicker a little like broken neon...
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Benvolio wrote:Or have the red text flicker a little like broken neon...
yeah i had the same idea :p but im not sure how to make that happen.

EDIT: i have an idea how to do that now :) still not sure if im bothered enough right now.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Truly we are in the presence of a master modder.

Randomizing the roach's vertical speed shouldn't be too difficult, the problem would be getting it to not walk off into the air.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Randomizing the roach's vertical speed shouldn't be too difficult, the problem would be getting it to not walk off into the air.
i got it to work (the code is under the 'platforms' section in my patch file, from memory- its a behaviour) its just that it stops changing the roach's sprite action when moving up and down, so it just faces downward all the time- which is weird cause that is controlled by its sprite-tile interaction. maybe I just have to move some of the bits of code around to get it to work right.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Interesting, you couldn't get its different animations (Left and right) to work for up and down? (If the l\r direction is 0 it should work.) Possibly adding something to the behavior that goes 'If direction = down then change action to' would work?
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Levellass wrote:Interesting, you couldn't get its different animations (Left and right) to work for up and down? (If the l\r direction is 0 it should work.)
uh, you sure that could work?

Possibly adding something to the behavior that goes 'If direction = down then change action to' would work?
yeah, thats what I thought was happening in it's sprite-tile interaction (I ripped of a bit of code from the platform's 'accessory animations'- then again I don't know why its working in the sprite-tile interaction. or is the code saying 'if hitting the B sprite, then change into...'?) i must play with this further.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Been playing it so far. Having saved a game on the worldmap just before the entrance to Glass Gardens (level 12), I have skipped to the current beta (which seems to be ok if done from the world map so far... and yeah for now it's more fun for me to go this way rather than restarting the level multiple times.)

In general, I think it feels like the modification has raised the bar, and great job!

I'm afraid I've encountered a new bug - in Glass Gardens itself (not reproduced in the earlier release). I think some path on the very bottom-right corner/area of the map is blocked?

Guess that for now I'll revert to the earlier beta (ok not sure about this... hmm... let's try that first) and change to a different level.

Thanks for the level pack!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Some errors encountered so far:

Bottom right:

I can shoot through solid walls!

There are some foreground tile problems such as this arch and this sign:

How did I get in here? Still need those invisible blocking tiles!

Finally a video glitch! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8RzQLzVkK4
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

NY00123 wrote:I'm afraid I've encountered a new bug - in Glass Gardens itself (not reproduced in the earlier release). I think some path on the very bottom-right corner/area of the map is blocked?
uh theres a secret area in the bottom right of the map. is that where you mean?

Thanks for the level pack!
hey its okay man (i made it especially for you *blush*)
I can shoot through solid walls!
yeah i noticed that myself. and *just now* i realised it must be cause of where I made the bullet appear from.
There are some foreground tile problems such as this arch and this sign
yeah i know about the arch- but there isnt much i can do. i dont really have any room in my background tileset to fix it.
i didnt know about the sign though! thank you.
How did I get in here? Still need those invisible blocking tiles!
its part of the story! didnt you read it? the invaders of roib stole the blocking tiles and... they're using them to make the UNIVERSE CANNON!

:p yeah i dont know what im doing.

thanks a lot yet again levellass, I'll look into those.

EDIT: ok i went in and fixed those problems up. thanks a bunch lass :)

thanks guys. remember- you are all my beta testers!
Last edited by Bernie on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:09, edited 1 time in total.