[coder needed] BomberKeen - public thread

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I've missed this one entirely! I thought this was just an April's fool joke but it seems something has come of it since then. I have to say the graphics here are stunning. :eek It would be sad to see it gone to waste. :no The engine runs fairly smoothly as well. This whole two players using shared keyboard gamemode is so old-school and cool. Great ideas there; Bobus bombs, Keen themes, etc. And I like the idea of making it so moddable.

Anyway, can't help with it -- I hate reading others' code, and programming anything like a game for Dos is practically unknown to me. But the biggest problem is reading others' code. I have to be really motivated and focused to do that stuff. For a free-time project this would be too much. However, writing everything from scratch, that could be possible... but not currently and not in the foreseeable future. :dead :lol So I guess that leaves me out. Unless I get some boost of enthusiasm at some point. If so, I'll let you know. Multiplayer garg over web I could never do anyway. Although this would be a pretty cool thing to have as web-based thing, I think it's light enough to run well in Javascript and related; something that would allow choosing game settings and players with just a few clicks and then playing against real players.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Dr. Kylstein - the version you released seem to be a bit older one. Title screen doesn't seem to show (at least on my comp) - and also Martinez is in his old colors...
wiivn wrote:Map similar to the Keen 4-6 style maps would be awesome!
What do you mean by "Keen 4-6" style? Perspective?
I thought this was just an April's fool joke

In no stage it was a joke. It was a real project I made with Dr. Kylstein - and put alot of work and heart into.
It was never intended to be a joke.

Yes, I gave permission to use it's art for "Tower Defence" April's fool joke...but it was about "Tower Defence" game idea....not "BomberKeen", which was never a joke. It's too cool idea to be a joke...and especially how one can think it's a joke when we actually released first beta long time ago?
but it seems something has come of it since then.
Again - it was a working project, never a joke. So obviously "something has come of it since then"
I have to say the graphics here are stunning. Eek! It would be sad to see it gone to waste.
Thanks! :)
I've put alot of work into those.
Notice there are more frames made than actually used in a game at this point.
And I like the idea of making it so moddable.
That's the cool thing about it. I wanted to start a whole new branch of Keen modding on it.
Last edited by DoomJedi on Wed Nov 27, 2013 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Oops, my bad. Somehow I forgot it was Tower Defence, I remembered it was BomberKeen -- and so thought there was a joke that then was turned into a real thing. I see now... And I haven't really followed any fan game news so I didn't know there was an earlier version of this -- or if I did, I've completely forgotten knowing. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

KeenRush wrote:Oops, my bad. Somehow I forgot it was Tower Defence, I remembered it was BomberKeen -- and so thought there was a joke that then was turned into a real thing. I see now... And I haven't really followed any fan game news so I didn't know there was an earlier version of this -- or if I did, I've completely forgotten knowing. :dopekeen
It's okay, dude :)
Hope you'll have the inpiration to take on the coding of this eventually...too much good stuff to scrap the project.
Dr. Kylstein
Vortininja

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

DoomJedi wrote:Dr. Kylstein - the version you released seem to be a bit older one. Title screen doesn't seem to show (at least on my comp) - and also Martinez is in his old colors...
Sorry, I accidentally included my settings file and forgot to update the graphics. I've fixed the upload, but you may need to delete BOMBERKEEN.INI.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

KeenRush wrote:I have to be really motivated and focused to do that stuff.
Unless I get some boost of enthusiasm at some point. If so, I'll let you know.
Would a Keen Dreams manual and a Keen T-shirt sweeten the deal? :evil
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Too pity it's a waste...maybe not Bomberman - maybe someone can make some game or mod at least reusing the many character art made for this?
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

COS-
*BANNED*

(But seriously, Cosmo could be a character here because he does use bombs to defend himself in the original game!)
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Since the thread title demands a new coder, I'll go ahead and volunteer before reading any of the previous posts in the thread. You're welcome.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Since the thread title demands a new coder, I'll go ahead and volunteer before reading any of the previous posts in the thread. You're welcome.
You're in :) Thanks for the help :)

Current source is in Open Watcom C. Can you handle this?
I don't mind you writing a whole new engine/rewriting the engine under any engine comfortable for you - if you wish.
...if you know Game Maker well we can base it on the Game Maker version which is more advanced.
I have some old different DOS source for the engine as well.

Do you understand the project, it's concept and it's goals?

PM me your DropBox email if you wish, I'll add you to the DropBox folder of the project - if you're serious in your kind offer that is.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Blech, game maker? That's PMtart stuff I try to talk him out of. Even though I didn't read any of the other replies, I did read the first post with the impressive screenshots and all. I thought you had a lot of stuff done already (I also read the part where you're accepting new artists, which I can probably be more helpful with).

Open Watcom C sounds close enough to "C" so it must be just vaguely familiar enough for me to understand it by googling instructions =)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

We DO have alot of stuff done already.
I think latest version + source are downloadable from the 1st post, you can check for yourself. We have character selection screen and system, most of the powerups, 2 players etc....
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

DoomJedi wrote:We DO have alot of stuff done already.
I think latest version + source are downloadable from the 1st post, you can check for yourself. We have character selection screen and system, most of the powerups, 2 players etc....
Sweet, new progress! :birthday Keep it going guys!
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

No...there is no new progress...this is abandoned project...till today coding help was offered by vbb...
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

DoomJedi wrote:No...there is no new progress...this is abandoned project...till today coding help was offered by vbb...
isn't that still an update? :confused
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.