Terror from Outer Space

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Terror from Outer Space

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Finally, after over a year of sweaty work it's time release!

It is only a beta version because I have not tested all levels to all possible eventualities. If someone should discover bugs, I would appreciate it if you post them in this thread.

TTFOS_Beta

TTFOS_BetaV2.zip

TTFOS_BetaV3.zip

Final version:
TTFOS_Final.zip
Last edited by Dr.Colossus on Mon Sep 30, 2013 21:32, edited 5 times in total.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Good morning, good doctor. I am very excited to start playing this much-anticipated mod... the title screen looks amazing! First I must ask... are you a fan of The Troggs? :P

This is great stuff! You've really successfully brought the Keen2 theme/atmosphere into the Galaxy era! With some nice blues in the background to boot! I was bewildered at first by why you had some Vorticon elites as foes, but then I had a closer look at the 'The Game' section, which clarified that! I will continue playing... so far, level one is nice but ever so slightly more challenging than the traditionally linear no-brainer first levels. Or maybe I'm just unobservant.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

i tried a few levels of it so far (up to the level titled 'Trogg *something*') and its not bad :)

some enemies I found to be quite interesting. I like those floating things (that look like the creatures from Metroid) and you can shoot them down. i also like those pole guys. but then some enemies I didn't like too much, like the actual bouncing brains and the pogo enemies, just because it was too obvious to see which enemy they're patched from.

Also I think level 1 is way too hard (i was playing on medium setting). level 1 should really be a breeze, imo. another little complaint is that 'Trogg' level, with the crazy alien walls and decorations- its hard to see things. I almost ran into one of those brain guys cause I couldn't see him. (or if thats what your plan was, then well played).

also, i noticed the word 'chemistry' was misspelled on a level name.

ill post more complaints as I play further levels in the coming days or weeks. :p ;)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Here's a video of the 1st level!
http://youtu.be/tTqR2fmEeJk
Amazingness! I have no words!
:drool
Splendid, Dr.Colossus, simply splendid!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

This is impressive mod, no doubt. Well mapped, very challenging, art is good too. Good plot idea, though the plot itself is very non-Keenishly phrased and doesn't have the right flow and touch. Also for Keen to agree to be the Jedi of "Episode 1" to negotiate peace treaty - is a bit...non-Keenish, out of character to me.

Art is of a very good quality - I still like Bernie's art better, somehow the edge is missing, or Vorticon ship theme is just a bit boring as art theme. I think putting Keen3-style tables for their advanced ship tech is a bit out of character, I'd invent something more original, and more embedded into walls.
Loved the pipe and pipedrops idea and art, very cool. Love the pogo dude, very challenging enemies, harder than in original Keen.

The infested theme looks too vibrant to me, disorienting - and enemies are too embedded into it - it's hard to notice them. Adds to the challenge, but visually less clear.

I'm only on level 3. Very hard challenge.

Bernies's mod is a bit more professional, but this is sure VERY impressive. Less than a trailer was for me though.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I'm enjoying this mod. Considering it's your first attempt at modding at all, very well done!

It's not that hard. And I like that there's plenty of guns, since some of the enemies are hard to shot. I didn't experience crashes and didn't find any major bugs. 5 levels beaten so far and my only complain is that there is no exit sign in Togg Pog.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I love this mod like I said.

I didn't find bugs either and I must say, the levels are enjoyable as well as the graphics. I love the point items, very creative. I also like the dashboard graphics, especially the yellow-white platform. "Phaelox" is a good planet name, I love it as well.

Well, like others say, your mod is very cool and enjoyable. :)
Last edited by szemi on Mon Sep 16, 2013 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

This is excellent! Liked every bit of it, especially the storyline, very original for a keen mod.

Mods like this are what is gonna keep the scene alive.
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

Sauber ;)

That´s an awesome piece of work you did!
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

I saw the video that troublesomekeen posted, and I do agree that it is quite nice.

However, do you mind uploading a download link using dropbox or zip files?

WinRar is fiddly, and either of the two are more generic programs

:/
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
cyber zero
Vortininja

Post by cyber zero »

Man, I'm loving this mod.
I loved the enemies, and it seems we had the same idea to make a enemy in a pogo :)
Great mod.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Eros wrote:However, do you mind uploading a download link using dropbox or zip files?
WinRar is fiddly, and either of the two are more generic programs
Is there a problem with compression or download? Here's a dropbox link to the exact same file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/773 ... FOS_V1.rar
(Guys, it's been a blast so far. The busy summer is winding down and Keening is getting back on schedule. Hooray for 400 posts and here's to 4,000 more!)
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

someone mentioned earlier before about there not being any bugs, and i agree. congrats on the lack of crashes and bugs.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

@troublesomekeen you didn't found the biggest secret in the first level...
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The -demo switch is a great demo release maker.

Will not look at this mod until much later, when I am in the proper mood to enjoy it.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.