Childrens Books

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Ceilick, those were wonderful stories, and I especially remember reading Go, Dog, Go all the time at my grandparents' house, where they had all my dad's and uncle's old childhood stories, such as this one also:

and this:

And while I'm at it, this is one I was never read as a kid, but belonged to my great-grandmother...

Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

How do you people remember these things...? I have a major blankness in memory between childhood and teenage years. I recall the covers of some books, but the names of none.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

The book I'm thinking of resembles Goodnight Moon, but was about a pair of socks given to one person who they were too large for. The socks ended up getting unwoven and made into a sweater and eventually back into socks gifted to the first person again.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Some really lovely books there, none of which I have ever seen before. The covers of the Gernam and Czech ones are particularly nice.

I personally was big into Rupert annuals, obviously via parental influence. The 1969 one was particularly beautiful, with fanciful illustrations by Alfred Bestall:

Image (it's the one on the left).

Also I was really absorbed in the world of Goosebumps for a while:

Some of our Irish schoolbooks carry much nostalgia too, though it would seem most have faded into obscurity, never to be found on Google.

Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

StupidBunny wrote: Image
Pfft... That's nothing.
http://imgur.com/a/SkZRv
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I find it amusing how 'those funny people' have become actual, real people over time. Once upon a time everyone who wasn't white was basically 'white people in funny costumes\colors' but slowly over the years certain groups have been pulled out of it.

So blackface is frowned upon, but pirate costumes are ok. (Mostly because all the pirates are gone and not demanding accurate representation.) Cowboys are prime target, indians not so much. It's strange to look back on things and see how people that may live on your street (at least here, where the country is too small to properly segregate.) were once considered the same sort of thing as fairies or bunny rabbits in jackets.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

"Blackface"... We're bringin' it back.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Levellass wrote:The reference wasn't the copious amount of dying
Okay, two references :p
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well I didn't get the other one, too busy silflaying.

Paramultart wrote:"Blackface"... We're bringin' it back.

If Somali pirates are acceptable targets, go right ahead.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

JYNX AND MR. POPO IS NOT RACIST!

KNUCKLES IS NOT RACIST! >:
I'm the cool blue keener.
Slayterdawg
Vortininja

Post by Slayterdawg »

A Classic ..

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I had the misfortune of being near some Enid Blyton books for an extended period of time once. There were two editions of one of the book, one rather old, the other quite new. I compared the two and noticed the blackface kids in the newer edition had been replaced by more "normal" non-Caucasian kids.

I remember mouthing off about the racism in Blyton's books in grade prep or one. Never was a fan.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Another beautiful book that I remember. Sadly, over 40 years after his death, the author was accused of racism due to a controversial story element that involved Mikeš (Purrkin) almost being kidnapped by black people. :(
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well he probably was racist, people back then had a higher background racism level. I doubt it was anything with ill-intent though. This is why we have the idea of 'fair for its time'