Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure II: HUMANIZED!!! (W.I.P.)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
FrostKnight
Grunt

Re: Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure II: HUMANIZED!!! (W.I.P.)

Post by FrostKnight »

T-Squared wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:30
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 22:31 Your plans are starting to sound like you're about to abandon the Cosmo code and instead mod Cosmo into the Duke Nukem II codebase. That's fine, but at this point, you might as well scrap all of that and move to the Keen Galaxy engine to get some smooth movement going instead of the 8-pixel-steps that Cosmo and Duke 2 use.
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that. I'm not planning to do that. I had considered it, but that was a very long time ago. (like, 2009/2010-long-ago) I'm just saying that an external text reader would probably not be so hard to implement in Cosmo, due to the similarities that I found between the text/story files in Duke II and the way that Cosmo generates its text.

Like I said, Cosmo has its text generation, and its picture formatting, "bolted"/hardcoded onto the C code when compiled. (You have to recompile EVERY time you change the text.) Duke II, on the other hand, has an external approach, but with text, window, and picture formatting that seems to match very closely with what I saw in Cosmo's reconstructed C code (Marking an EGA drawing page for use, setting a window origin, and using that origin as a reference point for the rest of the text and picture formatting, and moving through wait delays, sound generation, and text generation), so it shouldn't be hard to implement an external text reader much like how the demo reads its byte/bit-wise formatting for each game tic. I'm not versed in C code, though. I'm already doing some heavy lifting with the story graphics, game graphics, and animation.
I second what yorp said about wanting you to create this.

I am a very huge fan of the cosmos cosmic adventure DOS game in particular, it is not only my childhood, but occasionally, like once every year, or so, I play the original levels from start to finish. Episode 1 = cakewalk
Episode 2 = Medium except level 10 which is a hard pain in the butt, even with all your lives.
Episode 3 = Medium Hard, except level 10, which is tragically, too easy. :O

I hope you make this game, between Hard and Medium, aka, somewhat harder than episode 2 or 3. But of course, not like the homemade levels for the original. They were insanely hard.

I would help, but I have zero skills when it comes to the development process, except to say, I hope you make the boss characters for this, much harder.

Like, reasonably difficult depending on how many lives you have. If you have 5, you should be able to do it without losing more than 4, unless you have a good case of not trying, or well... being reckless.

Then again, it is your project, either way, I sincerely hope it all goes well. Please tell me, when it is at beta level quality. I am eager to see how it works once it is not alpha quality. I don't know how far you have gotten aka, I just heard about this on youtube like a month ago in a search and I just found this area today. ;)
Eatkin
Grunt

Post by Eatkin »

+1 for Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. I loved this game as a kid, especially as it was oneo f the only games on 3d realms I could actually beat :lol a new Cosmo would be a welcome gift.

I have a little bit of experience with game development so level design and things I could help with, C programming I'd be next to useless though I'm afraid. I have done pixel art but I wouldn't say I'm actually particularly good at it.

Always feel a bit reluctant to collab on things because I never want to feel like I let people down but hit me up if you want. I also know a couple composers whom I could reach out to.
spikey
Vortininja

Post by spikey »

Will this be an Apogee format game, or a game in modern languages?

Basically, will the game use IMF's or digital audio? Depending on the reply, I might be able to help.
FrostKnight
Grunt

Post by FrostKnight »

spikey wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 19:17 Will this be an Apogee format game, or a game in modern languages?

Basically, will the game use IMF's or digital audio? Depending on the reply, I might be able to help.
I don't know myself, but I wondered if you saw this:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=U6a52e3zmUY

That being said, if it is compatible with dosbox, I imagine it would be the more arcane of the two sound choices.

Also, I really hope it is dosbox compatible.

Btw, I hope it is dosbox compatible, I use something unixish

;)

Hmm... it looks like it probably is IMF:
posting.php?mode=quote&p=66915

this is on page one of this entire thread. :)
Last edited by FrostKnight on Mon Jan 24, 2022 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Really, the one main thing I need help with is C programming. That's the main issue. I think offloading the texts and effect markups in the game is a good idea, because that's what seems to take up the most room in the compiled program. I'd also like to be able to add larger sprites, like Commander Keen or Duke Nukem 2.

Another small issue is bouncing ideas off of people, because I want to get feedback on the ideas I want to put into the game.

The graphics are no problem. The music isn't either, nor is the story.
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
FrostKnight
Grunt

Post by FrostKnight »

Well regardless, I had a suggestion, feel free to one way or the other:

If you think something might happen to end your project, etc... I recommend putting it in some kind of repo, like github.com, or codeberg.org, etc...

I make this suggestion, for two reasons, one even if you for some reason decide to stop, someone else could finish it, so your hard work isn't made null and the obvious, which is those damn C&D crap...

You never know what to expect with these greedy corporations out there...

Dunno how much you did from scratch, even if it is all from scratch, sometimes trademark BS gets in the way.

pm me, if you ever get it even to a beta level stability. I very much appreciate that someone is willing to do this.

I don't know why a cosmos cosmic adventure 2 was never made, especially when some dos games that exist had sequels, that I felt like were meh...

Aka, some DOS games were too hard or just dull.

This forum is devoted to a mega hard game in general though

;)

Hope you succeed regardless!

I do in fact use a unix based system, but I would not know how to make new code from scratch even C like language. I can barely do python...

;)

Hope you continue to the finish though! It looks awesome!

I like DOS graphics, it looks mega cheesy probably, but to be honest, cheesy is better than the standards of stuff like GBA+ N64+ winXP+

Anyways long winded rant done, point being,

I appreciate DOS graphics in its simplicity and I hope you take the open source suggestion/repo idea, but if you don't, that's fine.

Just don't let this die!

:)
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Well, I had hoped that it wouldn't come to this, but it seems that the scope of what I wanted for this wasn't possible.

The project is cancelled.

It's been 16 years, and I haven't done much in terms of the game anyways. (I did do a lot of graphics and some songs, and some text modification, but in terms of game development, it's only like 5-10% of the entire game.)

I might post an archive of the game stuff, and if need be, I can provide graphics for other projects, but I won't be continuing on this project further.

I will say, this project did boost my artistic skill quite a bit. I'm surprised.
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
FrostKnight
Grunt

Post by FrostKnight »

Pity, it looked like it would be awesome when complete.

:(

I assume then you posted all your contents on github or something?

Well... in any case, its sad you have given up, but I can't say I wouldn't want to do the same due to exhaustion.

As a final edit, I will just say, I recommend you hold onto the remains for the future in case someone does turn up who has both interest and willingness to help.

But as previously stated, this would exhaust me too doing something like this by myself.

Anywho, thanks for trying!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

T-Squared wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 22:31 Well, I had hoped that it wouldn't come to this, but it seems that the scope of what I wanted for this wasn't possible.

The project is cancelled.

It's been 16 years, and I haven't done much in terms of the game anyways. (I did do a lot of graphics and some songs, and some text modification, but in terms of game development, it's only like 5-10% of the entire game.)

I might post an archive of the game stuff, and if need be, I can provide graphics for other projects, but I won't be continuing on this project further.

I will say, this project did boost my artistic skill quite a bit. I'm surprised.
Nooooooooooooooooooo :(

You can't just cancel it like that! Even if it doesn't meet your high standards, you could still release it as a level pack?
FrostKnight
Grunt

Post by FrostKnight »

He wanted help with the programming part from the sounds of it. It's a shame no one could help or wanted to.

I wouldn't know how, I know that much!
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Man, this is a real shame. Cosmo's one of my favourite games from that era besides Keen, and I was looking forward to this.

Seems like graphics and music and story weren't a problem. What about the level design? Had you started on that?

I wonder if all the stuff you finished could be organized and "saved" for a better time. Honestly, seems like you've already done quite a lot and it would be a shame to not do anything with it...

I understand that the C programming was the main issue. I'd help (even with how busy I am...), but I've only worked in PHP and JavaScript, so I don't know how much help I'd be. I guess the best training for this would come from those who have made Keen source mods as the codebase is rather similar.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Roobar wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 14:44 A new Cosmo is under development and it might get released before your mod:
Offtopoc: Does anyone know what has happened to this?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It's almost complete. It's expected to be released this year.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Awesome to hear - I can’t find any official information or webpage about it which is kinda strange.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well there's the Apogee twitter and Discord for more information abut it and other games.