Misconceptions

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Re: Misconceptions

Post by Quillax »

Remember that cliff in Fribbulus Xax where you need a grappling hook to get on top? For a long time, I thought that was a fence! Apparently I never stopped to think how Keen can get back "over the fence" when the grappling hook only seems to be one side.
Lower IQ than 314 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 19:07 Glad I could contribute to this discussion. While we're on the subject of alien names, I've never been able to figure what the plural of some of them are supposed to be. I know the plural to Shikadi is just "Shikadi" and the same can be said for the Fleex, but I didn't know until recently that that rule also applied to the Orbatrix. I always called them "Orbatrixes" or, rarely, "Orbatrices" (don't ask).

I still don't know whether the plural for Tomatooth is "Tomatooths" or "Tomateeth". The latter sounds kinda funny, I guess..
How do you know if the plural for Orbatrix is the same as the singular? I looked through the manual on CC314 and I see no mention of Orbatrix in plural. KeenWiki seems to be down at the moment, so I can't check with that.

Usually for plurals I always add an S to the end of the alien name (so Gargs, Blorbs), unless it's known to be otherwise. Not sure about those whose names end with a Y though. Is the plural for Frenchy "Frenchies" or "Frenchys"? Is Broccolash "Broccolashes" or "Broccolashs"? For Tomatooth I always say "Tomatoohs". The Dopefish website seems to suggest that the plural for Dopefish is just "Dopefish". :dopefish Is there a rule in English for how name plurals work?
Ceilick wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:00 For an embarrassingly long time I misinterpreted little Ampton's arms as forming a kind of fanged snout. I don't know how I explained the pole sliding to myself.
Wow, that's one huge nose! I guess Little Amptons just fly?
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I rofled @ "Orbatrices". That would be my instinct too!
Lower IQ than 314
Vortininja

Post by Lower IQ than 314 »

Quillax wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 17:09 How do you know if the plural for Orbatrix is the same as the singular? I looked through the manual on CC314 and I see no mention of Orbatrix in plural. KeenWiki seems to be down at the moment, so I can't check with that.

Usually for plurals I always add an S to the end of the alien name (so Gargs, Blorbs), unless it's known to be otherwise. Not sure about those whose names end with a Y though. Is the plural for Frenchy "Frenchies" or "Frenchys"? Is Broccolash "Broccolashes" or "Broccolashs"? For Tomatooth I always say "Tomatoohs". The Dopefish website seems to suggest that the plural for Dopefish is just "Dopefish". :dopefish Is there a rule in English for how name plurals work?
To answer your first question, yes, I got the plural for Orbatrix from the Keen Wiki.

As for your second question, yes, typically in English, you just add an S to the end of a word to make it a plural, but there are other weird rules as well. The plural of fish is, indeed, fish. "Fishes" is not technically what you're supposed to say, even if it is accepted by the Internet at large.

I remember being annoyed when watching a Let's Play by a woman who claimed to be an English teacher, but consistently used made-up words like "irregardless" or just flat-out mispronounced bigger words she didn't actually know how to use. It was embarrassing to watch.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Lower IQ than 314 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 19:06 To answer your first question, yes, I got the plural for Orbatrix from the Keen Wiki.
Yeah, I just saw that. According to the history, it looks like Levellass is the one who wrote it like that and it has stuck since then. Interestingly, in the BASA and Bloogbase Recreational District articles, someone wrote the plural for Orbatrix as "Orbatrices". Given that there's no official source linked for the Orbatrix plural, neither of the plurals I just stated may not exactly be true. Though, Levellass does seem quite good with English -- if only she were still hanging out here...

(Tip: If a statement in a wiki has either no source or a very unreliable one, I'd take it with a grain of salt at most.)
Lower IQ than 314 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 19:06I remember being annoyed when watching a Let's Play by a woman who claimed to be an English teacher, but consistently used made-up words like "irregardless" or just flat-out mispronounced bigger words she didn't actually know how to use. It was embarrassing to watch.
:lol :lol :lol
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

For a while I thought Blorbs were asteroids. For an even longer time, up to very recently, I keep thinking that they're affected by gravity and follow you, much like the Spherefuls. But last time I played Keen 6, it turns out they're more like slow-downed jacks. Not sure how that latter misconception came to me. :confused
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

For ages I had the names of Meeps and Foobs mixed up. I though Foob evoked a stupid looking green thing and I thought Meep evoked the terrified scream of the little yellow guys.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

In Keen 5, I used to think the wires (which can be climbed on like a pole) in Defense Tunnels Burrh and Teln were zippers for a very long time! :crazy
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

:D

See that emotikeen above? When I first saw it, I thought Keen was wearing a face mask! This was several years ago, by the way.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Quillax wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:47 :D

See that emotikeen above? When I first saw it, I thought Keen was wearing a face mask! This was several years ago, by the way.
For a while, I used to think the same thing.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

That image had me so confused for so long, it wasn't until JUST recently that I began to see it correctly. What appears to be trees I saw as the sky (the "green part" was some floating piece of grassy ground), while the starry night sky I saw as some tear ripped open in the "dark gray sky". The thunderstorm that followed after the image further convinced me that chaos was unfolding in Earth, likely because of the Omegamatic! It's destroying the atmosphere!