Misconceptions

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Re: Misconceptions

Post by Pandakeen »

Perilous Pit? More like barrel-ous pit.

Also, probably the strangest misconception ever; I thought the person in the mangling machine was Keen's mom washing dishes.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Pandakeen wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 18:49 Also, probably the strangest misconception ever; I thought the person in the mangling machine was Keen's mom washing dishes.
:lol :lol :lol :lol
out now (link) : Image
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I always thought that the "waving trees" in Keen Dreams were King Boobus' enslaved children out working the fields and waving to Keen for help. I guess being colorblind meant I never noticed that the children have green heads, although I guess in hindsight they do make for strange-looking children...
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

In the space station levels of Keen 6 I thought that the picture of the punk rock bloog was actually a bloog dressed as Elvis.
Lower IQ than 314
Vortininja

Post by Lower IQ than 314 »

As a kid, I mispronounced the word "Bloog" as "blug", rather than "blewg", which is how it's supposed to be pronounced. I don't know why; I guess I just saw the similarities between "Bloog" and the word "blood" and made assumptions about the double O's. English is weird, man. On a related note, I didn't know how to pronounce "Shikadi" growing up, and always said it as "Shik-AW-dee", rather than "SHIK-uh-dee", which was confirmed to be the correct pronunciation on these very forums.

I still have no idea how to pronounce some of the names of aliens and locations in fangames. In Keen 7's title, I constantly alternate between pronouncing "Krodacia" as either "Kro-DASH-uh" or "Kro-DAY-see-uh". The pronunciation of the word "Atroxian" is up in the air for me, too. "Uh-TROCK-shin"? "Uh-TROAK-see-in?" Some combination?
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

As a kid, I used to pronounce Shikadi as "Shi-ka-DEE". Though now I say "Shi-KAH-Dee". I'm not sure if there's an officially confirmed syllable emphasis, but to me it seems like it only really works with the emphasis on the second syllable.
I still have no idea how to pronounce some of the names of aliens and locations in fangames. In Keen 7's title, I constantly alternate between pronouncing "Krodacia" as either "Kro-DASH-uh" or "Kro-DAY-see-uh"
For me, it was always "Kro-DAY-shuh." I hadn't even thought of other pronunciations.
The pronunciation of the word "Atroxian" is up in the air for me, too. "Uh-TROCK-shin"? "Uh-TROAK-see-in?" Some combination?
Haha, well, I haven't even been consistent with how I pronounce the name. Back when I came up with the name in 2010 (the phrase "Atroxian Realm" just kind of came to me when I needed to name a game folder), I pronounced it differently than I usually do now.

The original pronunciation was more like "Ah-TROWE-k-shun" (with the 'k' smoothly blended in). However, I heard other people saying it more like Ah-TRAW-k-zee-ehn (like Hairmonster in his YouTube playthrough). So that's usually how I say it now, although I guess I've sometimes even said it like "Ah-TROWE-k-see-ehn". So, I don't know if I can even give an official pronunciation. Probably the second of the three options sounds the best to me now.

It was also funny seeing a few people stumble over the name "Cyraaun Kriuus-Llquo" in AR. The official pronunciation for that one is "SIGH-Ron (as in the name Ron) KREE-us-EL-quo (as in "quote"). The "us" and "EL" also slur together very quickly. It's kind of fun to say.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I always said "shik-a-DIE".

I imagine people from different countries naturally say it differently. It would be interesting to study this.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Ok, how I read all those.

ShikAdee
AtrOksian
KrodAsia
did anyone here actually see the Perilous Pit as it was intended?
Not me, was as shocked as you.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Does/did anyone else think that the Grand Intellect's castle looks a lot like a cat sitting upright?
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Benvolio wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 14:15 Does/did anyone else think that the Grand Intellect's castle looks a lot like a cat sitting upright?
I did at one point.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

This is how I pronounce those names:

Shi-KAH-Dee
Ah-TROCKS-See-In
Kro-DAY-Shun

For a long time, though, I used to pronounce Krodacian as "Kro-DAH-She-In". I learned the proper pronunciation from this old Keen: Modding topic.

I always pronounce Vorticon and Narln as "Vor-TUH-Kin" and "Nar-Lin" and I don't know if I'll ever break that habit. Yet I pronounce Cheesicon V (planet from The Sqeek Battle) as "Cheese-I-Con Five". :rolleyes
Benvolio wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 14:15 Does/did anyone else think that the Grand Intellect's castle looks a lot like a cat sitting upright?
I tried looking very hard, but all I could really see are the cat ears. I did remember thinking the castle looked weird -- like it didn't really look like a castle. If you ask me, it kind of looks like a bottle.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Kayburt
Vortininja

Post by Kayburt »

Benvolio wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 14:15 Image

Does/did anyone else think that the Grand Intellect's castle looks a lot like a cat sitting upright?
I thought that structure was the Mangling Machine itself. A very close look shows that its a tower with a spiralling staircase and the letter M on the top.
Quillax wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:10 This is how I pronounce those names:

Shi-KAH-Dee
Ah-TROCKS-See-In
Kro-DAY-Shun

For a long time, though, I used to pronounce Krodacian as "Kro-DAH-She-In". I learned the proper pronunciation from this old Keen: Modding topic.

I always pronounce Vorticon and Narln as "Vor-TUH-Kin" and "Nar-Lin" and I don't know if I'll ever break that habit. Yet I pronounce Cheesicon V (planet from The Sqeek Battle) as "Cheese-I-Con Five". :rolleyes
I tried looking very hard, but all I could really see are the cat ears. I did remember thinking the castle looked weird -- like it didn't really look like a castle. If you ask me, it kind of looks like a bottle.
I pronounce them:
* Shi-Caddy
* Ah-Trocks-Cean
* Kro-Day-Sheean
* Vor-tick-con
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

I pronounce it "shikadi"
Lower IQ than 314
Vortininja

Post by Lower IQ than 314 »

Pandakeen wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:35 I pronounce it "shikadi"

Glad I could contribute to this discussion. While we're on the subject of alien names, I've never been able to figure what the plural of some of them are supposed to be. I know the plural to Shikadi is just "Shikadi" and the same can be said for the Fleex, but I didn't know until recently that that rule also applied to the Orbatrix. I always called them "Orbatrixes" or, rarely, "Orbatrices" (don't ask).

I still don't know whether the plural for Tomatooth is "Tomatooths" or "Tomateeth". The latter sounds kinda funny, I guess.
Benvolio wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 14:15 Image

I thought the top of it looked kinda like an angry robotic face. Kinda ironic, since what's inside the castle is, in fact, a giant robot, albeit with a completely neutral expression.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

For an embarrassingly long time I misinterpreted little Ampton's arms as forming a kind of fanged snout. I don't know how I explained the pole sliding to myself.