ebay and keen 5 games

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Bloogbae
Grunt

ebay and keen 5 games

Post by Bloogbae »

I searched commander keen on ebay like I do often and to my surprise there are three sellers selling what appears to be keen 5 in brand new condition but how does this just happen all the sudden? Seriously they seem very questionable to me I mean that doesn't just happen right? Ebay link below.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=commander%20keen
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Those aren't the only sus items on that list:

"1988 IBM PC GAME COMMANDER KEEN BY APOGEE WITH BONUS DISC DUKE NUKUM" - wrong date, mixed up distributor with creators.

"COMMANDER KEEN GOODBYE GALAXY 5.25" SHAREWARE IBM PC MS-DOS COMPLETE SUPER RARE" for $99.99 - shareware game ONLY (not K5) that when new was sold in breach of its shareware license ($10 for two 5/12s? I'm a bit too young to remember how much those cost, but surely not THAT much). I even doubt that packaging is from that time.

"Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy! PC Big Box Apogee, Doom,Wolfenstein etc " I agree - four at once? Seriously strange. Or an old shipping box was found recently.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I'm fairly sure the ones from Magnum Opus are legit (I bought one from him for 80 dollars), but they've been sitting in boxes for years and smell like cigarettes.

It seems completely plausible to me that someone found a few crates full of old dos games in a warehouse somewhere, and decided to sell them on ebay; although if the seller hasn't posted verifiably not-stolen-from-elsewhere pictures of the box, that's pretty suspicious.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I also noticed this item:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commander-Keen- ... 2ecbfb17a5
description wrote:Commander Keen 1
Commander Keen 4
Commander Keen 7
Commander Keen 6 (demo)
I guess he's selling personally made disks and didn't notice that 7 was a mod, or maybe it's Keen Dreams?
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

That just confuses me. I would think that selling a product that's intended to be free would break the copyright somehow. Though I'm very sure Keen doesn't have an EULA, but still.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

It's probably Dreams. I mean, 1, 4 and the 6 demo are all shareware and so were certain versions of Dreams. Back in the day I considered Dreams Keen 7 as well.
Now I do not approve of people selling these shareware games, but then again it is probably the only way for someone to obtain a boxed copy of them which justifies it somewhat, and the price isn't very high anyway.