KRON WIP

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

wiivn wrote:Or different colored lines. Like blue line for the blue gem holder and door.

Or if it is possible, pressing a switch to change the color of the line. Or change the line directions.

Btw, would it be possible, if you press a switch, to close a bridge and open other at the same time?
Would be an interesting challenge, instead of the normal Keen game play. I'm not sure yet on my tile limits, but I'm guessing lower color ones count for less memory. Currently the foreground and background lines are different tiles, since they are offset a bit.

Then again theoretically switches could make platforms appear out of nowhere, not just bridges. Would be cool to have parts of the level power on, that weren't visible before.
T-Squared wrote:
guynietoren wrote: Not quite happy with the water, or Sea of Simulation. Just seems too bland so far.
Try making it look polygonal, like a primitive water simulation. (And that would basically be alternating pyramidal points moving up and down. It's hard to explain without a drawing.)
The original Tron used polygons for the sea. In Legacy it looks like real water, but with a glowing 3D grid points within it.
http://www.screened.com/sea-of-simulation/28-996/

Maybe it just needs texture on the surface.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

You should definitely watch Tron Uprising if you haven't yet.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

wiivn wrote:You should definitely watch Tron Uprising if you haven't yet.
I've seen the whole series. I like it a lot. The only thing off about it is what Tron was wearing when Clu first attacked wasn't the same attire as in Legacy. It wasn't just slightly off, he wore all white instead of all black
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Progress has been a bit slow.
Here's the title screen progression. As well as one of my children posing, that I ended up using for tracing out the hand/disc/arms/etc..
I do like the helmet more than the original. Seems more rounded.

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I LIKE the way you think.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Why not use your girl instead?
Last edited by Roobar on Fri May 22, 2020 6:06, edited 2 times in total.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Fantastic job, Guy! Really impressive revision and interpretation/style of the title screen Keen. I can see a few things that could be modified to better match the style of the original title keens, but I won't bring them up unless that's what you're interested, because this is superb.

The only thing that feels off are the helmet stripes; between being perfectly vertical and solid colored, it's a bit glaring. A hint of curvature, maybe a little (or complete) dithering might do it.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I don't mean to be that guy again, but... OH MY GOD, that looks so creepy.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

guynietoren wrote:Progress has been a bit slow.
Here's the title screen progression. As well as one of my children posing, that I ended up using for tracing out the hand/disc/arms/etc..
I do like the helmet more than the original. Seems more rounded.

That looks absolutely incredible. HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!!

Good idea on the tracing... I never would have guessed it would turn out that good.

Your kid is adorable, by the way.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Thanks for the compliments! You guys are a great encouragement for me. Thanks for the picture Wiivn. She got a real kick out of it!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

This is neat.

I like the stripes as they are, I don't think dithering or alterations are needed to help make it look 3D, but that's not to say a few minor tweaks wouldn't improve it even further.

One question though: where's the light source supposed to be? The Commander Keen logo at the top? The helmet has gloss on both sides is all.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Keening_Product wrote:This is neat.

I like the stripes as they are, I don't think dithering or alterations are needed to help make it look 3D, but that's not to say a few minor tweaks wouldn't improve it even further.

One question though: where's the light source supposed to be? The Commander Keen logo at the top? The helmet has gloss on both sides is all.
Though I haven't really thought about too much. There's not a real directional light source, as it comes from any and all objects. So the helmet glare is a reflection of 2 different things. Yes there's more detail I can add. Such as the glow of the disc has on Keen's helmet and such. I still have more space to add stuff in the background.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Good work :) Now things look more natural.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Forgot to post earlier: looks fantastic, really liking the tiles and the title screen. Haven't seen Tron in a while but liked it a lot ten years ago. :dopekeen Looking forward to this one. It's great to see these crazy Keen projects appearing out of nowhere.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Progress is very slow at this point. But there's at least some. I haven't added any subtitle text to the title screen yet. But titlescreens are more of my stronger suit than the rest of the mod.