Her (2013)

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
candyjack
Vortininja

Her (2013)

Post by candyjack »

What do you guys think of the movie Her?

I personally think it's p good.
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I see good reviews of it on metacritic. But the premise gives me the creeps. Like that guy who's married to his Love Plus 3DS game. Or the lady who's married to her pet turtle.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

This is one that relies a LOT on your own personal outlook. It can be touching or it can be as creepy as hell depending on how you see it.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

it bugs me when people say this movie is unique or something, cause i know its just a rip off of Electric Dreams.
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

Spoiler alert.

I don't think the film was creepy, and that's not just because I'm hard to freak out. It did a pretty decent job trying to make the audience sympathize or at least show understanding for the situation. It's a futuristic sci-fi and in this sense will show things that come across as odd to us, but it isn't too futuristic, so that the characters are still the kind of people we can understand. This whole computer love thing is new to them as well.

The film shows awareness of all the obvious issues: the facts that the computer doesn't even have a body and "isn't a real person" keep persisting throughout the movie, his ex demeans Theodore for falling in love with his computer, and Samantha is so complex that she has no trouble falling in love with 642 people at the same time. Yet it is carefully and in much detail shown that they love each other despite of all this. If you're watching the movie with a preconception of something like that being creepy, your thoughts will get articulated, and answered.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

guynietoren wrote:I see good reviews of it on metacritic. But the premise gives me the creeps. Like that guy who's married to his Love Plus 3DS game. Or the lady who's married to her pet turtle.
Sounds pretty similar to Lars and the Real Girl...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It's an old concept that goes back a long time.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

DHeadshot wrote:
guynietoren wrote:I see good reviews of it on metacritic. But the premise gives me the creeps. Like that guy who's married to his Love Plus 3DS game. Or the lady who's married to her pet turtle.
Sounds pretty similar to Lars and the Real Girl...
Thanks for the recommendation. It's the kind of film you'll only start to fully appreciate some time after having watched it. However, it and Her are only related in that they have a slightly similar premise, that's all. It is no way a rip-off -- Her has its own setting, ideas, and overall message. I'll tell you that Her is a bit more negative towards the whole 'girlfriend out of nowhere' trope (though it's still nuanced).
Bernie wrote:it bugs me when people say this movie is unique or something, cause i know its just a rip off of Electric Dreams.
I haven't watched Electric Dreams, but are you sure it's the same concept? I know they both revolve around a computer who steals hearts, but keep in mind that Her is quite psychological and only uses it to make the audience think. It first tries to show how wonderful love with an AI can be (and it does a good job at this, slowly drawing the audience in and showing that it doesn't have to be creepy), and then it makes them question the very thing it convinced them of by showing the fundamental problems with that kind of love. It's a very nuanced story that tries to make you think.

And even if the concept was stolen, the point is that this is, AFAIK, the first good implementation of it. It's one of the most highly praised films of 2013, being nominated for five Academy Awards, and winning the award for Best Original Screenplay.

Also, I can't help but add Ruby Sparks to this list. It's also a great love story that explores the same trope.