The Ocflore Project

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Re: The Ocflore Project

Post by KeenRush »

Loving the atmosphere, the backgrounds... Everything! I too am relieved to hear that the project is still going on. Not that I seriously doubted it wasn't, I know these things take time and effort, heaps of it. Thanks for the screens, can't wait to play this one day.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I saw the screenshots briefly yesterday, but there gone today when I can comment! Bubbatom Halp
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Uh oh you're right! Looks like all of the images in this thread are gone! I'll get onto it tomorrow hopefully
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

You reached the Dropbox bandwidth limit?
Although using the direct url, says "the file have been deleted", hmm.... odd...
Dropbox wrote:The total amount of traffic that all of your links and file requests together can generate without getting banned is 20 GB per day.
The total number of downloads that all of your links together can generate is 100,000 downloads per day.
So by that logic, your preview post would have gotten over 14.286 views - which certainly is an impressive for a 24 hour period
but even if you reached that, they have been available again the next day, yet so far they are not...
I can't anything about the files being removed, if the "links" are heavily requested within a 24 hour period.
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

From middle of March DropBox officially disabled public folder functionality.
Bandwidth limit has nothing to do with it. All Dropbox links are now dead, it became normal dropbox folder.

There is other way to make links to DropBox, but it's not comfortable and not as usable.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Amazing art in this project...can't wait.
This is the next big thing.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Finally got to updating the links to the images for Keen day this year. Embedding them doesn't seem to work anymore so links will have to do until I work out that issue! I'll get onto the rest of the images in this thread soon too because they're all dead links now
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

let's do a little magic trick and make these images visible again, shall we?!

before:

Code: Select all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g54wkmb2u0zl3yr/ck4patch_004.png?dl=0
after:

Code: Select all

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/g54wkmb2u0zl3yr/ck4patch_004.png?dl=1
result:
Bubbatom wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:31 Keen day has rolled around again now has it?
Well as of late life's been getting a long way ahead of me so anyone who still remembers this project hasn't seen anything on it for a long time. But I've been chiseling on this one in the background for a while now and the last month has seen a lot of work go into this when I've had time. Here's a few more screens for your patience, it's getting there and it's serving as a leisurely sideline to the constant bombardment of life which is what I always hope it'd turn into.

As for my everlasting project that always seems to be getting somewhere yet still going nowhere Suburb Shenanigans is just awaiting a few boss related bits and pieces (I've sort of handed this project over to Levellass to finish as I really wanted to move on to new things and had a real hard time working out exactly what the hell I wanted to do about the boss but oh well).

I'll be keen to check out what other cool keen work has been going on lately so that may distract me from my own project for a bit!
plus a little extra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_33nzP1q_Yg
Last edited by Nisaba on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:57, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

Wow, I can't wait to play that piece of art! It looks amazing! :love :O
A project for lifetime.
Elia1995
Grunt

Post by Elia1995 »

Amazing art work, I love this mod already, can't wait to play it on my DOS machine !!! :D

By the way, the download link for the "demo" level in OP is gone, could you reupload it so we can have a little taste of its gameplay ? :begging
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Would this game work properly on a old DOS machine? I wonder if it'll display properly. That EGA patch that turns cyan into a light brown might mess something up. No idea, really.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

@TSK well, that's indeed an interesting thought. I assume it should display the colours properly. the mod itself displays only 16 as well. it's just another EGA palette. The EGA palette allows all 16 colors to be used simultaneously, and it allows substitution of each of these colors with any one from a total of 64 colours.
But I could be wrong about that?

anyways,
@Elia1995 check the KeenWiki for some download links: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Ocflore.
And don't forget to tell us whether or not the colours are displayed correctly.
for comparison reasons, you could use DOSBox to emulate the DOS environment on a modern system. How to, you might ask, well check this page: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_in_Windows
(btw: simply drag&drop the Ocflore.bat file onto your DOSBox desktop icon to fire up the game.)
out now (link) : Image
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Woo, now that I can see the screenshots...

Absolutely gorgeous. The time you're taking to perfect your world is really showing. Every tile and object fits together so organically with everything else. Keep it up, keep taking your time, this is looking to be a masterpiece.

Shot1: Just beautiful, the wood, stone, and forest background meld so well. Love the floor teeth! Perhaps create a few different models so they aren't all the same (if you haven't already), or if they animate, don't let them all animate in sync (unless that's intended and the full affect just doesn't come across in a still image). Extremely minor suggestion, but the bottom of the torch poles, where they connect to the wooden platform, consider using some dark grey in place of the black so that they blend together better.

Shot2: The temple looking floor is a great design, love the intricate shape of it and it blends to the stone well. The transition from the...tropical sand?...to the temple floor is not as good as the sand to regular rock transition in Shot 3, it could use a more gradual transition through dithering or more shadow/indentation with the temple floor pattern in the sand.

Shot3: Stunning underwater backdrop. Love how the sand sweeps in from the background over the platforms. I also really dig the way your platforms blend into those plain dithered tiles. You really create a balance of simple and intricate in your environments well with that technique.

Shot4: Great ocean backdrop, great looking plant (the black shading really sets it apart in a good way). The perspective on the right facing dirt platform where it meets the water feels weird; the water looks too low/toward the player in comparison to the dirt. Minor: consider removing the black outline on the bottom of the sign post poles where they meet the grass, as well as the poles out in the water to further blend them into the environment.

Shot5: Can Keen walk in the tops of brown background? Looks like a smooth stone path. Great forest background, love all the little details such as the tree houses and the windmill, as well as the rising stone wall behind.

Shot6: Really like the stone platform, I think the ramp could use some white though. I realize the shading perspective would suggest otherwise, but the absence makes it 'pop' in the image too much. The transition between the stone wall and the ocean background is a bit jarring as well, too 2 dimensional.

Shot7. Love the background architecture! Great choice to make it dark grey, it really brings the scene together.

I imagine given the phenomenal attention to detail you've shown us so far many of these are things you already intended to work on and just didn't get to for the screenshots, but I hope they help in some way :) Great work!
Elia1995
Grunt

Post by Elia1995 »

I agree with Ceilick, this is going to be one of the best Keen 4 mods ever.

I tested the beta level on my DOS PC and it worked out great, not a small graphic glitch, I hope that the "final product" will work that good aswell.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

This mod is super cool
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031