The Ocflore Project

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! Once I find the time, I'll address some of the fixes / alterations!

The right section I understand is a little hard to follow, but most of it becomes clear in relation to the rest of the game and it's story. The craft is a big doomsday device orbiting Ocflore and the towers / sky below just happen to overlap. The towers are on Ocflore and the title screen makes it look as if the planet and the doomsday device are hovering above.

Well done on adding the title to the screen wiivn, I really like the addition! How did you place it there? Did you draw it or type it? I may come back to this style once I decide on a final name for the mod!
szemi wrote:Nice job I admit. But do you have all the patches for this mod, Bubbatom?
Just asking.
Cheers szemi, most patch ideas I have not requested / have still to work out.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

And how? Levellass isn't here, and I need patches for my Keen Dreams mod as well. So we both have to wait forever if she doesn't come back.
Yeah, piece of cake!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

We'll have to force KeenRush and Bernie into service.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Bubbatom wrote:Well done on adding the title to the screen wiivn, I really like the addition! How did you place it there? Did you draw it or type it? I may come back to this style once I decide on a final name for the mod!
It's a font. When you come up with a name, I'll make it. I like the name as it is now. The "Project" might not mean that it's your project. It might mean a project that's named Ocflore within the game.
Kate
Vortininja

Post by Kate »

Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Merry Christmas everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuWoj0B4lAg

I've put together a one level demo video for this Christmas update for everyone to check out. Without a composer I chose to add some background music that adds to the atmosphere - that being the soundtack to "Children of Dune" by Brian Tyler.

This mod is coming together quite nicely. He's a few figures, mainly to make myself feel good about how much I've done :p
Levels - 12 in states of near-completion
Tiles - 80% done, just one platform style to finish and then world map stuff
Music - none
Sounds - none
Enemies - getting there, maybe 50%
Story - 50%
Patches - coming together, requesting as I need them

I haven't had as much time to work on this project this year as it was my last year of school, but these holidays I'm finding I can really get to work on it.

Enjoy the video and Happy Holidays!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Stunning! Great design and colors, and great variety in detail objects!

Ohoho, excellent implementation of Roy Gallant's Martian Waterseeker!

And I assume the flame shooters are ancient Ocflorians?

I've a few art criticisms and suggestions, but I'll try to restrain myself unless you're looking for it :o
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Woah! This is so cool! The music is also epic, though it doesn't fit the keeniverse.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

That is an rather interesting Demo, showing off some interesting game-play changes

and The activate-able Pole is rad.
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Whelp, that does it, I'm going to do a mod dump.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Bravo! I love the atmosphere. Your graphics style and level design are so good. I like how all the aliens are so... alien. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Thanks for all the feedback and praise guys! Looking like I may need to tend to my previous mod before I proceed further! :p
Ceilick wrote:Roy Gallant's Martian Waterseeker!
Yeah, a few adjustments here and there. Funny, I had no idea that is where the creature was from, the same image appeared when I was reading about "Project Serpo".
Ceilick wrote:flame shooters are ancient Ocflorians?
Not quite... I'll leave their origins for now I think.
Ceilick wrote:I've a few art criticisms and suggestions, but I'll try to restrain myself unless you're looking for it :o
Go for it! I'm open.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Simply amazing look of this video...speechless.
Great art, so much work put in to this...t
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

This is jaw-dropping. Really exemplifies the heightened artistic standards to which Galaxy modding has risen in the last couple of years (whilst Benvolio sticks to primitive Vorticons efforts). The pixel drawing, sprites (yes, your sprites are at least at ID software standards and often better) and everything else that people have already raved about are utterly beautiful. But what interests me most is the colour... I don't think I've ever seen as successful a use of colour - dithering, shading, contrast - in Keen modding as I am seeing here. Those mountains, those clouds, that dusty atmospheric sky... all's I can say is that this is one of the most tantalising mod demos I've seen yet. Thank you!!!!!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

At 0:04, on the far right is an ancient looking control panel that shows a couple times in the level. Consider integrating it with the platform/bringing it into the foreground a little more onto the platform top (probably just to the extent of the upper platform strip that looks to be about 6 pixels).

The green, purple furred pig raptor is very static in it's movement. It's hard to tell in the video, but it looks like only it's legs animate and that it has a very horizontally level pace. Depending on how many frames it uses(again, hard to tell), perhaps some head movement, tail movement, or even just offsetting it's walking animation to give it's pace a pixel's worth of bounce.

At 0:28 is the first instance of the horizontal background dividing tile, though it appears again at 1:23. It is jarringly ugly in comparison to every tile around it and just looks out of place. While I suggest creating a whole new transition, I know having 1 tile transition shortcut tiles is super useful. I would suggest pouring a lot more dithering and angles to this tile so that it stands out much less. It appears in vertical form at 2:32, but for some reason is a lot less glaring vertically.

The underground section from 1:12 to 2:30 doesn't quite look right with the bright grass platform. Maybe this is just me.

The flamey guys at 1:36 have very static animations as well. You might try altering their dithering slightly as they move just to see if it has a better affect. They don't look bad just floating as they are.