Yorphius II Deluxe

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
tulip
Flower Pot

Yorphius II Deluxe

Post by tulip »

Hey all, I smashed together a very quick keenday release:

Behold: Yorphius II DX

For everyone who had always wanted to play the classics and never did, because you know...

New high quality ega graphics, latest technology. Advanced shading. You name it we got it.

Also music by Paramultart.

enjoy.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/366 ... I%20DX.zip
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Previewed quickly the first few levels; really beautiful take on the graphics, phenomenal shading. TSR doesn't load correctly though and I can't hear para's tunes :O
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Hmm, I don't know what's causing the problem for you. If I extract the zip I uploaded somewhere and run it, I can hear the music. Glad you like the graphics.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Looks really cool :D I'll be sure to play it when I get back home
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Loving this remaster.

Glad you were able to use my IMF's... They fit surprisingly well, if I do say so myself. (Although the volumes for a lot of them are very disproportionate, but that's a given with most Vorticon mods, due to the loud, grating sound effects. I found myself turning off PC speaker sounds.)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Great work! This looks like what the original maybe should have been. :) It feels strange -- I as an author obviously have the closest bond to this mod, and so when playing it feels a bit dreamy, like "I didn't remember I made that :eek", or like in some dream, things are looking something I know they're not supposed to be in reality. :freud Huge thanks to tulip (and Para for music which I haven't yet heard as I keep my DosBox with sound off) for making this! I'm 5 levels in, this gives me a good reason to replay this mod.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I like it and it runs pretty good on CG. Strangly the music is never played eventhough CG supports songlists play and has an embedded imf player. I'm going to check and fix that.
Having fun developing stuff...
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Advanced shading, high quality ega... What more could a body want?
http://youtu.be/kyx0CYDg1hw
Good old Yorphuis! What a treat!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

lol did you just die 3 times from that first garg replacement, only to miss it when shooting at it the 4th time?

Anyway thanks for the preview vid. I see you have also spotted a tiling error.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

This is really enjoyable mod! I haven't played the original, but this one got some very nice tiles and some good imf's. Deluxe really stands for its name. The level design is also nice. In the most parts not too challenging and not too easy either.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Got it wrong, had my music volume down. Even older versions of CG seems to support the songlist. Pretty neat tunes, I like this mod a lot!
Having fun developing stuff...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Good to hear people are liking this; thanks to tulip this way the mod finds some new life and players who haven't dared to touch this before because of my not so solid artistic efforts of that time. I did my very best but I just wasn't good enough. :o

For a day or two now I've been toying with the idea of making a Keen 1 mod that's totally without patching other than for text changes -- exactly like Y2 was. Maybe continuing this particular adventure? Maybe returning to planet Y2? :dopekeen I'm starting to get all kinds of ideas in my head now. :dead2
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Thanks KR for the kind words, that's exactly what I was aiming for: to get the classic and really high quality mods, that were great back in their day, but somehow aren't as popular anymore some of their deserved attention.

You guys might have noticed I'm talking about mods in plural. You heard right, I've got a few more mod rereleases coming...
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

I like it so far.
Not easy mod, heh.

Despite lack of too amazing coding changes (or at all) - this is retroish, original....like it.
Plants idea is fantastic.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

DoomJedi wrote:Despite lack of too amazing coding changes (or at all) - this is retroish, original....like it.
Well, this was the first mod, and it didn't have any other kind of patching than text changes (done straight in the executable illegaly as I didn't understand anything about patching :evil) so it makes sense there isn't anything added now. :)