Keen 10: Mirror Menace - re-release

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I mean that nobody ever wants to help you fix things. They just sit there like a bunch of asshats and go 'Hey, the game locks!' I know it does you twits, I don't see YOU doing anything to help!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Levellass wrote:I mean that nobody ever wants to help you fix things. They just sit there like a bunch of asshats and go 'Hey, the game locks!' I know it does you twits, I don't see YOU doing anything to help!
Yeah seems that from time to time developers get pissed of by that.

Important is that the developer gets the chance to reproduce crashes, bugs, whatever. Just saying 'it crashes' usually does not help.

That some people help while other do not is common. I think we do not need to discuss that problem. It's as old as humanity.
Having fun developing stuff...
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Levellass wrote:I mean that nobody ever wants to help you fix things. They just sit there like a bunch of asshats and go 'Hey, the game locks!' I know it does you twits, I don't see YOU doing anything to help!
I understand what you are saying and I understand why it can be frustrating, but you have to understand this. I am not a modder. I have little to no knowledge of how the programming of the game works. So if the game crashes, all I can really do is inform you how it crashed and where it crashed. I cannot tell you how or why it crashed. To be honest and frank with you if I knew how it crashed why would I bother you with it? I would fix it myself, continue where I left off in the game and move on with my life. Yes, maybe members of the community should be a little more helpful on whatever problems arise but you also have to realize that the less we know about how the game is programmed, the less helpful we can be on what is causing the problem.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

A big problem is my computer is just so darn good that it can handle things everyone else's can't. So a lot of those bugs you guys get, I don't. S nobody can solve the problem because those who have it can't fix and those who can fix can't get.
robertl81
Vortininja

Post by robertl81 »

I'm sorry, but I'm not a programmer, so I can not do anything to fix bugs in the game.
If I were a programmer, I would have already changed some things in some versions of keen.
I would have to say, rearranged the music of the Commander Keen 5 official, using for some level, those two official music, which have not been used, but which, however, say there are in kernerl.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

robertl81 wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not a programmer, so I can not do anything to fix bugs in the game.
If I were a programmer, I would have already changed some things in some versions of keen.
I would have to say, rearranged the music of the Commander Keen 5 official, using for some level, those two official music, which have not been used, but which, however, say there are in kernerl.
Well for that there is Commander Genius. You can set a matrix of songs you want to have played, but getting back to the topic.

If everything runs on Dosbox, is it that important to test it on different machines? Slow downs are to expected depending on the actual hardware, but memory problems and crashes with the same version not to be reproduced, seems hard to imagine for me, but I guess it's possible. I thought virtual machines could help better on those issues.

Developers and users, or yeah... I think developers must learn to be a bit more tolerant about those problems. At least I had to learn a lot regarding that issue. Offending users, because they don't help, does not solve the problem.

I think CG made good progress, but honestly I feel a bit lonley developing myself on the project, but that's fine, because a lot of people appreciate my work and that makes me happy.

The progress is slow, but doesn't matter, there is progress, after all Commander Keen is a relict from the past and suited for special fanboys, like we all are...
Having fun developing stuff...
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Maybe try making a VMWare virtual machine and distributing that? In my experience, VMWare has fully shielded the virtual machine from whatever the host OS is doing.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

gerstrong wrote:If everything runs on Dosbox, is it that important to test it on different machines? Slow downs are to expected depending on the actual hardware, but memory problems and crashes with the same version not to be reproduced, seems hard to imagine for me, but I guess it's possible. I thought virtual machines could help better on those issues.
You'd think that but I have some pretty solid proof now that me and Sz's machines are setup with some sort of super Kiwi-Transylvanian voodoo that cushions it against insults. Possibly it's just the whole framerates whatchamacallit stuff since I had to tweak something before I could play Keen fullscreen.
joe-ilya
Vortininja

Post by joe-ilya »

I'm stuck behind this rock, I got there but I can't get out of there:
Me and omer made a rainbow dash HUD for doom, for our mistake most of the doomers are anti-bronies. Image
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Don't worry, planning the next release sometimes.
Yeah, piece of cake!
joe-ilya
Vortininja

Post by joe-ilya »

Three more bugs(sorry for knocking this masterpiece):

Keen appears infront of the tile.(level name : toxic dump)

You can grab onto this wall and climb into it in order to finish the level, I doubt it's intentional.

In the same level there's this useless secret area, I think you forgot to put something there.
Me and omer made a rainbow dash HUD for doom, for our mistake most of the doomers are anti-bronies. Image
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Post as many as you find, so I can bother them sometimes.
Yeah, piece of cake!
joe-ilya
Vortininja

Post by joe-ilya »

Deactivated laser projectile shooters get activated when you load a save.

Switches can be pushed rapidly, by holding up in front of the switch.

This walkthrough tile.(in the crystal mines)
JoeCapricorn
Grunt

Post by JoeCapricorn »

joe-ilya wrote:Deactivated laser projectile shooters get activated when you load a save.

Switches can be pushed rapidly, by holding up in front of the switch.

This walkthrough tile.(in the crystal mines)
The deactivated laser projectile getting reactivated after loading a save bug is from the original game engine and isn't something that can be fixed to my knowledge.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It's a purposeful punishment for daring to save your progress.