Keen 10: Mirror Menace - re-release

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
robertl81
Vortininja

Post by robertl81 »

szemi wrote:He asked me several times about the new version idea, so you know why it's annoying.
I asked you 2 times. One in December 2014, and 23 July 2015.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Sorry, didn't count it.
Yeah, piece of cake!
robertl81
Vortininja

Post by robertl81 »

However, waiting to again play this game when it's ready version without crashing (since last December is that I have not played more), even long ago, I put in my cell phone some of the music of this game, which I like very much, and I hear quite often, and these are:

https://youtu.be/gIDR1A6_gqg
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Neato, Robbs!

I had good luck playing this game. Played it the whole way through and it never crashed for me, as far as I can remember. The boss battle was good fun, too. It's a great mod indeed. I especially like the octopus-like Zenuxian creature.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Downloaded it but it seems to be without the exe...
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

DoomJedi wrote:Downloaded it but it seems to be without the exe...
Keen 6 is NOT shareware, so you have to have your own KEEN6.EXE and unpack it with UNLZEXE you can find in the zip file of Keen 10.
Yeah, piece of cake!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

So far - great improvement over the original rushed version.
Very solid work!
Love the rings, very nice element visually.
Love the music too.

Art remark though - rings lack perspective on the farther side of the ring that lacks depth (see green).
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

If you liked it, you will also like the sequel (Keen 11), which will be 200% better. :)
Yeah, piece of cake!
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Do my ears deceive me, or was the ending theme Bad Apple? Not that I'm complaining, it sounds good on DOS. I guess it's just weird hearing a depressing Japanese Touhou song in Keen. It's like I'm watching a Commander Keen anime.

It is interesting though, the song is played when Keen meets Martinez, and the music video has black clashing against white kinda like two alternate universes meeting each other. Or something like that. I don't know. I'm looking way too deep into this.

Edit: I'm playing an outdated version, whoops. Forget what I just said. Here's the original to compare if you're wondering what the fucl I was talking about. Most likely it was just filler music since the actual music wasn't made yet. Sorry. :dopefish
Last edited by ScarletFlame on Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:59, edited 2 times in total.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That... that's an awesome song. I hope that it inspired something 'cause I had nothing to do with that particular clip of music.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Levellass wrote:That... that's an awesome song. I hope that it inspired something 'cause I had nothing to do with that particular clip of music.
I don't think it's that great. I listened to it so much years ago and I'm sick of it. There are so many parodies of it too. It's like a weeaboo Numa Numa.

Considering the song was originally from the fourth Touhou game for the PC-98 (think Japanese DOS), the PC-98 version of the song was probably put into the Magic .imf File Converter Machine 3000.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Thank you for getting that stuck in my head again >:
I need to look through my touhou files and see if they're extractable
Edit: Also, I forgot to say hi. Welcome to the forums! [/latefail]
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

Post by GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon »

This mod (and its music) is great.

However I would change like maybe a few tracks (only because I don't feel they fit) but eh. Gameplay > Music.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

We lacked a professional composer and had to do a little ad-libbing (and soft-shoe) with the music. I think it hangs together ok.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
The_CrY
Grunt

Post by The_CrY »

Hi, sorry to bother and bump this topic, but I have a slight problem with this mod. I have really enjoyed all the levels and the great music, but just as I want to go through the portal, the game hangs. I found this video on youtube with the exact same problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xq2ZGuXB1w

I hope there is an easy fix for it, I would love to finish this mod. If it's of any use, I play on Windows 7 with Dosbox 0.72. Hope to hear from you. :)