Keen MTM demo release

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
User avatar
Levellass
S-Triazine
Posts: 5261
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:40

Keen MTM demo release

Post by Levellass » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:49

As Mort Day winds down (And to avoid the massive rush that happened in my absence.) I (and everyone else, them not being here due to it being impossible for multiple people to create a topic.) present to you Keen Meets The Meats, a 1-level demo preview. (You can also check out the map if you die.)

Get it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... M-Demo.zip

Sadly my new laptop has been having some odd slowdown issues. (It's a Lennovo, but totally wiped.) So I am not entirely sure when the full version will be out. But enjoy anyway, it will be a quick experience and I hope to be back in the community soon, this is getting nuts.


Also Tom, the link to your mod is broken (Check your original message) but I was actually sure I'd sent you the completedish patches. I figured you were using them since I didn't hear back. I'll pull everything out of backup once I sort out this mess and we can sink that sucker nice and good!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.

User avatar
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 329
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 0:55
Location: South Australia

Post by Bubbatom » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:46

Looking forward to playing this! It's been a long time in the making. Gotta go to bed now, it's late and there's school tomorrow.
Also Tom, the link to your mod is broken (Check your original message) but I was actually sure I'd sent you the completedish patches. I figured you were using them since I didn't hear back. I'll pull everything out of backup once I sort out this mess and we can sink that sucker nice and good!
Me Tom? Because the link to the mod seems fine to me (in chrome it says it's dangerous though!). Never got those patches. This'll be embarrassing if it sin't me she's referring to, won't it?

I'm really looking forward to you getting your PC issues fixed though! You've been absent for far too long!
Image

User avatar
Roobar
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 2924
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 16:12

Post by Roobar » Mon Mar 16, 2015 16:44

That is, most certainly, the bloodiest and creepiest keen mod I've ever played. Unfortunately, not my taste.

As for your laptop, I'll not congratulate you for choosing Lenovo because of Superfish. I presume you're with windows 8.1. If you're with Linux, then don't read the rest of this.

1. First, be sure to check if you have superfish. And if you do - remove it. This will not fix your issue, but it's a necessary thing to do anyway.
2. Next, my presumption is that your slower behavior is more likely to be a hardware problem. I've dealt with a lot of Lenovo laptops throughout the years. But before you send it to service, I would suggest you to uninstall Chrome and check your battery plans. Put it on maximum performance.
3. Next: install all the latest windows updates and drivers.
4. I don't know what your antivirus software is, but try to stop it for a while and see if the slowing disappears.
5. Next: remove unnecessary lenovo bloatware (if you don't care about warranty, i.e. remove ThinkVintage and everything that says lenovo). I can give credit to lenovo for they have a good recovery tools that work though. So before removing their crap software, you may try using their tools to "recover" your windows from older state.
6. But before that, install malwarebytes and Spybot to ensure you didn't get any trojans and adware that are most likely to slow down your laptop.
7. If all of the above doesn't work, install software that monitors your gpu and cpu temperatures to see if there are any problems.
8. Next, some memory and sdd/hdd test programs.
9, If no problems are found and you've removed the lenovo tools, try to refresh windows 8.1 (it will save your programs).
10. If nothing of the above works - it's the hardware.

User avatar
szemi
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 15:19
Location: Hungary
Contact:

Post by szemi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 18:54

wiivn wrote:That is, most certainly, the bloodiest and creepiest keen mod I've ever played. Unfortunately, not my taste.
Well, meat is meat, especially if you take a look at a butcher work in real life.
That'd be nightmare for you as well.
Yeah, piece of cake!

User avatar
cyber zero
Vortininja
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 21:13

Post by cyber zero » Mon Mar 16, 2015 23:04

Cool stuff right here. I loved the enemy meat. The way it walked was awesome. Looking forward to the complete game.

User avatar
Fleexy
Tool Smith
Posts: 1369
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:21
Location: Abiathar C&C
Contact:

Post by Fleexy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:57

Haven't gotten to play this one yet, but did notice the editor signatures in your KDREAMS.MAP. Certainly a shame that the Abiathar truncation bug (which has been fixed) necessitated the use of a different editor, but it is encouraging to see that it was used at some point in the creation of this production.

About the laptop: Superfish does not uninstall completely when you run its uninstaller. You must remove its root certificate or you will remain vulnerable to MITM attacks on all TLS-based communication. See this article on the use of certmgr.msc.

If you're really adventurous, you could install the Windows 10 Technical Preview. It's pretty quick, in my experience, and has given new life to some old Windows XP computers I had laying around.

</offtopic>

User avatar
Levellass
S-Triazine
Posts: 5261
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:40

Post by Levellass » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:14

Bubbatom wrote: Me Tom? Because the link to the mod seems fine to me (in chrome it says it's dangerous though!). Never got those patches. This'll be embarrassing if it sin't me she's referring to, won't it?
When I try to open it not all of the link is highlighted and Dropbox says 'Nope, nothing you're looking for is here.'
wiivn wrote:As for your laptop, I'll not congratulate you for choosing Lenovo because of Superfish
It was very cheap because of Superfish. (And this from the guy who said I was paranoid about facebook...) It's been totally wiped and I copied my Windows Vista across from my old computer.

Everything worked fine until I copied too much stuff and I ran out of HD spece. Even now though it still gets odd. I've been monitoring it and it doesn't seem to use a lot of memory when it goes bung, nor does it seem to be a CPU temperature problem (There are alarms on this for that.) I ran CHDisk on everything and that checks out, it's odd.

You really think Chrome may be the problem?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.

User avatar
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 329
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 0:55
Location: South Australia

Post by Bubbatom » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:26

Levellass wrote:
Bubbatom wrote: Me Tom? Because the link to the mod seems fine to me (in chrome it says it's dangerous though!). Never got those patches. This'll be embarrassing if it sin't me she's referring to, won't it?
When I try to open it not all of the link is highlighted and Dropbox says 'Nope, nothing you're looking for is here.'
Just to clarify, the Ocflore 1 Level Demo I released on Keen Day? Because I've tested it on several browsers now, and it works fine. Others seem to be able to access it too. That's a little odd. As I mentioned, Chrome doesn't like it, "Ocflore Demo.zip is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous."

EDIT: Also, gave the mod a test earlier today. Really good stuff right here! It's unlike any keen mod I've ever played! My only gripe is the title screen, just isn't my thing. It needs a unifying background other than the grey-white one it has now.
Image

User avatar
KeenRush
Android Dummy
Posts: 2553
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 20:57
Location: KEEN1.EXE
Contact:

Post by KeenRush » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:28

Great work, team. A bit bizarre and definitely gorey but well done! Looking forward to the full version.
My newest mod - Planet Of Agony: https://pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=4165 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.

User avatar
szemi
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 15:19
Location: Hungary
Contact:

Post by szemi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 14:00

Demo version should be uploaded to KeenWiki.
Yeah, piece of cake!

User avatar
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter
Posts: 1308
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 13:56
Location: Carlsbad, Czech Republic

Post by Nospike » Tue Mar 17, 2015 14:16

Bubbatom wrote:
Levellass wrote:
Bubbatom wrote: Me Tom? Because the link to the mod seems fine to me (in chrome it says it's dangerous though!). Never got those patches. This'll be embarrassing if it sin't me she's referring to, won't it?
When I try to open it not all of the link is highlighted and Dropbox says 'Nope, nothing you're looking for is here.'
Just to clarify, the Ocflore 1 Level Demo I released on Keen Day? Because I've tested it on several browsers now, and it works fine. Others seem to be able to access it too. That's a little odd. As I mentioned, Chrome doesn't like it, "Ocflore Demo.zip is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous."
Chrome responds that way to just about every mod I've ever downloaded through it. No need to worry.
It just might be done someday. The chance is always there.

User avatar
Roobar
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 2924
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 16:12

Post by Roobar » Tue Mar 17, 2015 16:29

Levellass wrote: It was very cheap because of Superfish. (And this from the guy who said I was paranoid about facebook...) It's been totally wiped and I copied my Windows Vista across from my old computer.

Everything worked fine until I copied too much stuff and I ran out of HD spece. Even now though it still gets odd. I've been monitoring it and it doesn't seem to use a lot of memory when it goes bung, nor does it seem to be a CPU temperature problem (There are alarms on this for that.) I ran CHDisk on everything and that checks out, it's odd.

You really think Chrome may be the problem?
Ah, vista... No comment. It seems you already know what the problem is. Just invest in a more recent windows version. Buy 8.1. You'll get 10 for free later this year.

Chrome: Yes, I've had absolutely similar problems with it and it took me two weeks until I figure it out and made the connection. Remove it for a while and see if the problem is gone.

And you should already know that yes, low disk space can too slow down your windows, especially on vista.

User avatar
Levellass
S-Triazine
Posts: 5261
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:40

Post by Levellass » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:06

Indeed, but the problem isn't low disk space. I've narrowed it down to 'memory going bad'; if I save the restore data when it goes bad then try to restore my windows session, even after hours of good performance on a new session when things are going good then restoring causes the slowdown. So I think somewhere a wire was crossed or a vital memory management file went bust.

And as for gore complaints, how about we release a no-gore version for those poor people who don't like to think where their hamburgers come from?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.

User avatar
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 4155
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:06
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:18

How about no?
Image
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass

User avatar
szemi
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 15:19
Location: Hungary
Contact:

Post by szemi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:36

Levellass wrote: And as for gore complaints, how about we release a no-gore version for those poor people who don't like to think where their hamburgers come from?

Good idea.
Yeah, piece of cake!

Post Reply