Are mods fanfiction?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Are mods fanfiction?

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I hate to use that word, because of the bad connotations that come with it, but that's what we're dealing with, right? The video game form of fanfiction. I mean, the WADs of ID's later games were basically DLC before the term DLC was even coined.

I prefer to use the word 'fanon' for fan material that's actually competent. The collective of keen mods I would call fanon, while some teenager's random s^&* garggy doom map with bad recolor sprites pasted in is fanfiction.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Regardless of any unsavoury connotations that the word may hold for you, fangames are still technically a form of fanfiction - fiction made by fans of the franchise.

I feel like "fanon" is a word that more closely refers to theories and stuff, right? Ideas that aren't actually presented as fact in the official work, but which are held by some fans. Like headcanon.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

No. TUIT is totally fanon.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

So, in short, your perception of the meaning of the word is wrong. Topic closed.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Everyone disagrees with you. :|

It's kind of like saying that the game Commander Keen 4 is a fact within the official lore, when in actuality it's a story of its own which contains facts within the official lore. Fiction contains canon. Therefore, fanfiction contains fanon.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I have to edit the articles.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I go as far as to say Sonic Adventure, Sonic 2006, Metroid: Other M and Twilight are all fanfictions due to the way fanfiction is defined by mary sues and shark jumping.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Gonna have to stop you there.

What we have here is a classic case of Poe's revision. That is, 'I don't like a lot of something therefore anything bad is that and anything good isn't.'

Fanfiction is not defined by shark-jumping or Mary Sues, if it were then no show would ever go downhill because as soon as it did it would cease to be official. (As much as we wish that were the case it isn't so.) Fanfiction is defined simply by its source. It is unofficial and doesn't even have to be made by fans. (See: Hatefiction, Anti-fans, Fandumb.) Fanon likewise is lore that is not official but beleived by fans (Even if that's only one fan. See also Headcanon.)

Your definition would raise many problems. Would Gor be fanfiction? It's an original property if an utterly horrible one. And who would do the defining? Twilight sells. 50 Shades of Grey sells. You can rant and rave and whine all you like about it, but money doesn't lie. You are outvoted.

Mods, even TUIT are thus fanfiction. As are the rare Keen stories on this board and a lot of artwork. I like to think that the Keen community has produced a remarkably high gold to dross ratio for fanstuff.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Oh, I like fanfiction (for the wrong reasons), but keen fan stuff is too good to be associated with, well, I was gonna list off some violated universes, but I'll just say "everything on fanfiction.net, plus sonic recolor videos."
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:everything on fanfiction.net
You've done it now!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11090259/1 ... -Reckoning
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

automatically bad; because it's on fanfiction.net.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

still better than ASoIaF/HP/$YOUR_FAVE.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

...what?>
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Gonna have to stop you there - there are *some* decent fics on fanfiction.net. True, about 50% of the content is utter crap and most of the other 50% is kinda meh and not really worth reading, but every now and then you can find some gems that will really leave you entertained and with no regrets. Usually one-shots and believable humour fics.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:automatically bad; because it's on fanfiction.net.
*looks at signature link address* naaahhhh...
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.