One day mod: Kube

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

One day mod: Kube

Post by Levellass »

So after Keen MTM I was filled with a great hatred and disdain for Keen, a burning loathing that smothered all attempts at creativity.

Then Fleexy mentioned that you could set up a basic level in 5 minutes using Abiathar. In theory then it should be possible to make a galaxy mod in under a day, Lemm suggested it be called 'Kube' for reasons I forget.

After weeks of stalling I started two days ago, only to be sidetracked after nearly completing it by a birthday I was not told about. So here it is, the mod that took a little less than a day to do:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3940020/KUBE.zip

It the best... a good... a mod. If it crashes, tough. I'm not tweaking anything now, that would defeat the purpose. (And scare the porpoise.) It is very basic but incorporates a few things I've been working on for people.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

This is really cool. I totally wasn't expecting something that would so completely change the aspect of the game... I love it. I'm not that good at it but it's very interesting.

I only encountered one little bug; basically, if a bomb exits the screen or if Keen dies while a bomb is on the field, the bomb variable doesn't seem to reset so you can't place any more bombs. I got to level Kubed before I accidentally died and caused this to manifest. Other than that, everything looks awesome.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I was wondering where you'd got to. Glad you're back into modding, and at a hitherto unheard of pace!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Loving it, very well done for a 'single' day mod
I found another bug, even if you're not fixing it I thought I'd just tell you anyway... On the level "cubed" I died with a bomb out and after respawning I couldn't use a bomb. I died again, changed the key and still no bombs.
Edit: whoops, missed Plasma Captain's post
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

That's the best mod of the year actually. I can't believe this was done in just one day...
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Definitely the best I've ever seen!
Yeah, piece of cake!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I think this can be up there with the Banana Mod. It's unspeakably glorious.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Very nice! I was a bit baffled at first, but figured it out in a minute.

Let's Play video with first impressions commentary (YouTube)

Download ADEPS file (for people who want to edit/examine the levels)

Excellent work, Levellass.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Plasma Captain wrote:I only encountered one little bug;
Only one? I'm sure there are others F10 will activate cheats. 'I' will allow you to bomb again.

Since there was a lethal bug I updated the download link so the mod is actually completeable. This is what happens when you don't beta test. (Alternatively Fleex was the beta tester.) Luckily the tweak only took a minute or two so things are still under the day limit.

Thanks to Stupid Bunny for (Most) of the music.
joe-ilya
Vortininja

Post by joe-ilya »

I blew up a cube, text appeared and I was sent to the computer wrist, fleexy doesn't seem to get that in his blind playthrough, what am I doing wrong?
Me and omer made a rainbow dash HUD for doom, for our mistake most of the doomers are anti-bronies. Image
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

joe-ilya wrote:I blew up a cube, text appeared and I was sent to the computer wrist, fleexy doesn't seem to get that in his blind playthrough, what am I doing wrong?
I got that when I changed my controls from Ctrl Alt Space to other keys.
joe-ilya
Vortininja

Post by joe-ilya »

I get it now, one of the keys I use activates a cheat. Is that it? :crazy
Me and omer made a rainbow dash HUD for doom, for our mistake most of the doomers are anti-bronies. Image
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Yeah, some of the music does sound awfully familiar... ;)

This is awesome--mostly as a testament to the power of patching, though on it's own level it's a fun little arcade-style game, too. The game crashed on me on...I forget the name of the level, it's the (first?) one where you start out with the hot cubes right beneath you. It gave me some error message that you probably would like to have heard, something to do with tileArray or something. I was disappointed because it was just getting fun. Great work!

EDIT: Yeah, the same level it happened on in Fleexy's LP. I just downloaded it like a half hour ago so I assume it's the latest version (I didn't even get as far as he did.)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Weird. Really? Well you can skip levels with F10 then E.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Also, what alternate key setups are people using? This is vital to know because I'm altering the button code in a few mods and if you change the keys wrong nothing will work.