Vorticon VI continents

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Vorticon VI continents

Post by MortimerInBlack »

Looking at the CK3 world map,

http://www.dosclassics.com/keen/map.php?a=3&l=0

which one of those continents do you think is the biggest (greatest surface area)? They are all pretty generic and elliptical. My guess is left-most one.

I have GIMP for windows, but alas, I could not find how to measure the area of a selected irregular region. Is that even possible?
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Umm... You don't need the url tag if you're only going to post the link. ;)

I think the top-right one might be slightly bigger than the left one, actually. Also, if you want to know for sure, count the tiles (and count diagonal tiles as half, I guess). :p
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Apeiron
Vortininja

Post by Apeiron »

I think the left one too(I don't remember the name :dead ).
ΒΟΥΛΟΜΑΙ̣̣ ΠΑΣΙΝ ΙΟΡΠΟΙΣ ΤΟ ΠΑΘΟΣ ΦΕΡΕΙΝ. ΒΟΥΛΟΜΑΙ̣̣, ΙΝΑ ΤΟΥΤ' ΑΝΙΑΤΑΙ!!! :yorp
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Have to say I can't judge it on eye... :dead2

By the way, I'll move this to Official Keen Games...
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Veke
Grunt

Post by Veke »

I've wondered, what's with the shape of the top right island? :confused
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Well, as it turns out, surface area on that map is useless because the sphere is in 2D. Things are actually skewed around the sphere at the edges, if you get my meaning.

However, I made an equirectangular map that, when mapped to a sphere in GIMP, looks a lot like the K3 world map.

http://i34.tinypic.com/11k8i2p.jpg
(notice how the southernmost island is actually more circular and not so elliptical)

Then you can orient the camera over each continent and look at it that way--it will give you a better estimate. However, I find it is still hard to tell the biggest one.

But with GIMP I can't keep the sphere, I can only select the orientation and make a picture out of it. Does anyone know any virtual sphere software that will let me save a sphere with the map of my choice?
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

Post by Allstories »

The island of Messie is the bigger island but the island of penis valleys gets all the ladies.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

MortimerInBlack wrote:But with GIMP I can't keep the sphere, I can only select the orientation and make a picture out of it. Does anyone know any virtual sphere software that will let me save a sphere with the map of my choice?
http://www.blender.org/
Unfortunately it's a bit complicated to get started with, and I don't know how to texture a sphere.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Given the configuration of the continents--specifically how they're all fairly close together and all in one hemisphere--I would guess that, only a few million years ago, Vorticon VI had a Pangaea-like supercontinent. Either that, or there will be one in a few million years. Any world with plate tectonics will have cycles in which the continents will join and split over hundreds of millions of years.

And I'll have to try out that Blender program! I've produced a number of maps of fictional planets and would like to see how they look in globe form. (And maybe I'll use the other 3D modeling stuff too.)
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

I would guess that, only a few million years ago, Vorticon VI had a Pangaea-like supercontinent. Either that, or there will be one in a few million years.
I agree (I drew a similar collection of continents on the other hemisphere), but I think that Tom Hall or whoever drew that map wasn't thinking about that. They just look like the usual, stereotypical continents.

BTW, I really need to measure surface area of an irregularly shaped selected region of an image. Google fails me on this. Does anyone know what program can do this? It can't be all that hard to program, considering the amazing effects possible in even open source software.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

nessie was probably pushing the continents around.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

Allstories wrote:The island of Messie is the bigger island but the island of penis valleys gets all the ladies.
ROFL!
time goes by 時の流れは二人を変えて行くけれど
失くしたものも夢見るものもその手を取って思い出すよ
いつも君の側で...
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Shouldn't be that hard to solve in terms of pixels... I could whip up a simple program using Allegro to load a bitmap and count the number of pixels that aren't a certain colour. But I'm not at my machine right now, so I'll tackle it in a day or so when I get home if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Ingeniuous! 8)

I copied the islands in to bitmaps of their own and removed all the other stuff from edges with blue, and I (my program) counted only pixels that were not bright blue or dark blue. (I thought the dark blues were used for shading the islands.) I also pixelated the flags and Keen's eyes with different colours so they wouldn't effect the count. :p

Islands in the order they 'begin' on y-axis.
#1: 37828
#2: 88451
#3: 85334
#4: 78841
#5: 15786

So I guess that makes the second island the largest one. Now we know a little more about Keeniverse. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Wait, I don't understand the order you are counting them. Can u instead label the continents by what levels are on them? For example: Vortiville, New Vorticon, Secret Level, etc.

And dude, i must have that program!