Keen 5 Deluxe Edition

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

wiivn wrote:Is it fixed also in the download link?
yep, yep, yep. the download-file is getting instantly updated (as soon as a fix is announced the file will be refreshed).

Update: All reported bugs are fixed and everything should work properly by now.
Aries Ib Dock ahead!
out now (link) : Image
Zilem
Vortininja

Re: bugfixes

Post by Zilem »

Nisaba wrote:
Zilem wrote:Those unreachable Secrets are unreachable by the running-pogo-jump?, just wondering ;p
nope, pogoing won't help you at all, check this.

Oh, invisible walls. the stick in the wheel of the explore vehicle!

Nisaba wrote:
Zilem wrote:Oh!, that is a well hidden secret, keen can't possible find that without his iWatch, i mean Bipboy, Err... Wristcomputer!, yeah that's the one! Which is totally something you can make happen ;p
I cannot follow your thoughts. This is tongue-in-cheek, isn't it? a way to long day of work won't allow me to get a clue outa that. anyway, thanx for the response!
First i was Referring to a secret in the .pat file, that i saw ;p
Then joking "what came first the Chicken or the Egg?" just with Keen Wrist-computer and Fallout's Pipboy - as they are basically the same thing, checking you inventory ;D
and finally that you could turn your smart-phone into a Wrist-computer
if you don't have a Pipboy Replica, and a phone that fits into it.

But yeah, maybe the joke just got of the rails and flew of into space ;p
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So then... secret level crashes for me, spots in spritearray error. Anyone else able to play this?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Now I want a deluxe version of CK4 and CK6 as well - just for the sake :)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Tormentor667 wrote:Now I want a deluxe version of CK4 and CK6 as well - just for the sake :)
Yeah, but they're pretty much finished and don't need much more improvement (they're perfect). Keen 5 is the one that was rushed out (if I remember correctly, it was done in a month or less) and needed finishing touches the most.

That being said, what I think Keen 4 would benefit is with some additions. Like an additional level using the Dorts and some unused graphics. Otherwise it only needs several tiles and graphic fixings.

Keen 6 needs the least fixing, like fixing the impossible bullet jump and removing the password protection. Also fixing some areas that allows insanely fast speed runs through walls (which will make it less fun).
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Keen 6 actually has a lot of weird bugs other than the impossible bullet trick and glitchy clipping - sprites getting stuck (Nospikes in particular are buggy as heck), level design errors and the like.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

yep, Nospike is right about the Nospikes! and there are enough things which can actually be blue-penciled within Keen 6.

but Keen 5 always felt a good deal worse yet unfinished for me. In fact I didn't like it very much. Take a look at the Wall-tiles. they are all flat and in some sense uncharitably made. just plane red or plane green... na... also this construction-area-tape-like-style is horrible. Causes of eye cancer! I pretty much was about to recolour all of them, but on the other hand that might not feel like the orig Omegamatic anymore. so I decided to use what was God-given and played within that scope.
I'm also about to add two more larger levels. I mean... 13 original levels, c'mon! that's a bit weak, isn't it? having some inserting problems at this time but I'm positive to get around this soon.

what do guys think, shall I create more levels to explore? and what about redesigning the walls and backgrounds?

Levellass wrote:So then... secret level crashes for me, spots in spritearray error. Anyone else able to play this?
I guess you're using an outdated version. please download and try 0.9.4!
Last edited by Nisaba on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Nope, still getting the crash. I could video it for you or here's the savegame: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... VEGAM0.CK5

EDIT: Seems to occur even with a fresh game on hard difficulty. Methinks you may have added too many item sprites in new secret areas, but that's none of my business.
Nisaba
Janitress

a matter of crowding

Post by Nisaba »

oh.... I see what you mean! I'll take care of it.... just gimme some... hours!
EDIT: alright, actually I had to delete 2 sprite infoplane tiles to get this thing done. I checked it on hard difficulty and it should work by now. please use the new upload v.0.9.5
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Nifty fifty. It can be a sod like that.

Oh yes, forgot to post these minor foob:

This ceiling slope isn't... sloped. Makes it odd when you jump down the slope here:

There's a tile error here, needs a ceiling tile.

This tile is odd to walk against, I think it should be blocking on all sides.

Quite a few secret places do this, bits of Keen can be seen 'poking out' when he falls or jumps around. Again a minor foob.

I can pull myself up on this arrow tile and clip through the wall. An invisible blocking tile over it might do the trick.

That is all.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

yaus, foob!.

send me, more send, me more.

I nearly spotted 30 of them in total. some of them just having one or two missing pixels, others were really horrible placed. I've been searching for them for hours, but I might have overlooked one ore another. so if you have spotted anything weird in the original (as well as in my version), please give a quick note on them.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

One question: Is there a list of all changes somewhere?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

there will be! as soon as version 1.0 is released
(some keen graphic and sprite changes are in the making)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Two more issues:

This tile above Keen should block on the left side too, for consistency.

You can fall down past the fuse, this has been known for some time. The fuse really should block right across.

Finally I note there's still an issue with sprites in hard mode, so many are there Keen can't have two shots onscreen at one time and getting the Vitalin looks weird, most Vitalin just vanish, no V sprite. It strikes me that this can be avoided by making some gem tiles and using them in the level to replace the gem sprites, freeing up space. This is an easy thing to patch if you want me to, the gem properties would replace the unused 'water entrance' tile properties. It's not a crashing issue but it really does look odd at the level start.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

indeed it does look odd! also I did noticed the shooting issue, however concealed it 'cause there aren't to many creatures to shot at once. but looking at your proposal for solution, your patch offer is very welcome!