Keen 5 Deluxe Edition

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Nisaba
Janitress

Keen 5 Deluxe Edition

Post by Nisaba »

Happy Keen Day everybody!
:birthday

here is my modest celebration contribution: I've just sat down for a few days and fiddled some graphics together... the output is a revised version of Keen 5 The Armageddon Machine.
I've always missed a little more complexity to this episode. to me it felt somehow incomplete. to give you a clue: the lack of the BWB level, the unfinished yellowish worldmap, a huge amount of bugs, unreachable secret spots, unobtainable candies, an unused song, badly pasted tiles, typos and so on and so forth.

so here it is, a so to speak Deluxe Edition of the original Keen 5, if you will. with the intention to look and feel a bit more polished.
furthermore, to give you a fresh excitement to the good old K5, I put in new secret areas to every single level and added two additional levels as well (Level 14 "Aries Ib Dock" + BWB).

K5 Deluxe Edition 0.9.6 - Download
Changelog PDF

hope you enjoy!

ps.: greetings to Szemigi, whose mod-idea of a K5 Megarocket level gave a vital impulse, and thanx to Levellass for sharing your unrivalled patching knowledge.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by Nisaba on Sun Nov 13, 2022 17:49, edited 12 times in total.
out now (link) : Image
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Nice job you made. Do you know?
Yeah, piece of cake!
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

What is that thing in the scorebox? A birthday cake?
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

lemm wrote:What is that thing in the scorebox? A birthday cake?
Celebration cake of Keen's day.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

the "CONFIG.CK5" don't need to be there, was kind of wondering why i could not enter the BwB, and then noticed i could not enter "Ion Ventilation" system either with Ctrl, Alt or Space.
and went to control config, and saw the keys were not the once i was familiar with ;d
I had some kind of oddness with another mod, where it came with 2key fire mode enabled - can't recall which....

Useing "Enter" to drop down the status window, while in the BwB level crashes the game
"US_CPrintLine() - String exceeds with"
maybe Keen should had landed the BwB on a landing pad instead =p

Those unreachable Secrets are unreachable by the running-pogo-jump?, just wondering ;p

Oh!, that is a well hidden secret, keen can't possible find that without he's iWatch, i mean Bipboy, Err... Wristcomputer!, yeah that's the one!
Which is totally something you can make happen ;p
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

Nice one!
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Oh joy! Thank you Nisaba!
Nisaba
Janitress

bugfixes

Post by Nisaba »

Zilem wrote:the "CONFIG.CK5" don't need to be there.
Fixed!
Zilem wrote:Useing "Enter" to drop down the status window, while in the BwB level crashes the game.
Good grief, what a shame! haven't noticed that before... but yeah, I fixed that as well.
Zilem wrote:Those unreachable Secrets are unreachable by the running-pogo-jump?, just wondering ;p
nope, pogoing won't help you at all, check this.
Zilem wrote:Oh!, that is a well hidden secret, keen can't possible find that without his iWatch, i mean Bipboy, Err... Wristcomputer!, yeah that's the one! Which is totally something you can make happen ;p
I cannot follow your thoughts. This is tongue-in-cheek, isn't it? a way to long day of work won't allow me to get a clue outa that. anyway, thanx for the response!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

wrote:Szemigi
Nice job you made. Do you know?

{DARKDUNE}
Nice one!

wiivn
Oh joy! Thank you Nisaba!
Thanx ya'll!
be sure to check level 16 the Aries Ib Dock!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Aaah so this is what the patching was for.

My my, it's going to be a busy week for everyone.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Good work with the new levels, I like your style. A BWB level was something this game always missed in my opinion. As for old levels, it's been so long since I played the game so I don't remember what everything looks like and where the secrets are, so can't say anything about them.

Two bugs had slipped into this version:
* entering level after Defense Tunnel Sorra ("east side") - can't remember its name - crashes the game ('string exceeds width').
* I don't really understand why there's a teleport in the middle of that 8-level area, taking you to some kind of endless loop... :confused
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nisaba
Janitress

problem got solved

Post by Nisaba »

KeenRush wrote:entering level after Defense Tunnel Sorra [Neutrino Burst Injector, Level 8] crashes the game ('string exceeds width').
checked on that... somehow this bug is connected with the new KNAM5 patch. before implementing this very patch, everything worked just fine. This might take some time to be fixed.
EDIT: fixed (just a typo)!
KeenRush wrote:I don't really understand why there's a teleport in the middle of that 8-level area, taking you to some kind of endless loop...
That is indeed weird, and to me it makes no sense at all...
EDIT It does make sense! With assistance by fleexy the teleporter is now patched and again fully functional.

thanx a lot for reporting this bugs. It's a pity I haven't noticed them earlier. sorry to cause inconvenience! by now these bugs are fixed and everything should work properly.
Aries Ib Dock ahead!
Last edited by Nisaba on Fri Mar 18, 2016 0:27, edited 2 times in total.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Blast it all! The error is mine. The 'default' line in my tool is this:

'Keen blows through_the Neutrino Burst Injector'

It SHOULD be this:

'Keen blows through_the Neutrino_Burst Injector'

That missing '_' makes the program create a string that's too long. I checked some random levels, but I didn't check everything. I have updated the tool.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Levellass wrote: That missing '_' makes the program create a string that's too long.
Damnit, I should have noticed it myself!
but thanx for the advice, so this thing is fixed by now.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Is it fixed also in the download link?