Marooned on Mars - Galaxy Mod

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Re: Marooned on Mars - Galaxy Mod

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I have a question just loosely related to this game, but I don't want to start a new topic just for this.
I very much like the "Galaxy Keen" style - the original games, this mod, and several other high-quality mods of Keen 4-6. I don't like the "Vorticon Keen" style - it's so ugly, so empty, so backgroundless, makes so little use of the really not so small capabilities of EGA palette... Are there any "Galaxy mods" of Keen 2 and 3?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:01 ... Are there any "Galaxy mods" of Keen 2 and 3?
I guess you are looking for something like this and like that. It's just that both mods are still WIP. But there are demo versions already available which are pretty neat and worth checking out.
out now (link) : Image
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:01 I don't like the "Vorticon Keen" style - it's so ugly, so empty, so backgroundless, makes so little use of the really not so small capabilities of EGA palette...
If you're interested in the gameplay of Keen Vorticons with better graphics, I'm currently working on a skin mod for Keen 1 that remakes all of the graphics to be more elaborate (hopefully).
Here's a screenshot:

Last edited by Pandakeen on Mon Aug 16, 2021 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

...Coming back to the topic after a bit of time...
Nisaba wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 18:35 I guess you are looking for something like this and like that. It's just that both mods are still WIP. But there are demo versions already available which are pretty neat and worth checking out.
Why isn't the Keen 2 remake included in the list of mods? And as it seems to me that this remake of Keen 3 is not even an existing game, just some screenshots showing how Keen 3 could be remade in "Galaxy style"?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 22:23 Why isn't the Keen 2 remake included in the list of mods?
I guess you are referring to the KeenWiki mod list, aren't you?
this very Keen 2 remake is still WIP and therefore not listed. This has something to do with how we organize the KeenWiki.
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

But there are several unfinished or beta mods on the list, so why not this one?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

there are several reasons why this one isn't included just yet. the main reason is that it is still in the making. due to the wiki guideline we only include finished material. for further information consult this page over here: https://keenwiki.shikadi.net/wiki/KeenWiki:Guidelines
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

By the way... I'm replaying the game. How to get to the secret level?
And why is it written that the game has 17 levels, if I can only count 15 on the exterior map? ;)
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

you might wanna count again... ;)

to reach the secret level you wanna find a route through the maze...
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 18:32 By the way... I'm replaying the game. How to get to the secret level?
And why is it written that the game has 17 levels, if I can only count 15 on the exterior map? ;)
Some KeenWiki mod pages count the High Scores level for the level count. I'm sure that's how it's supposed to be, since the pages for Keens 4-6 also count the High Scores level, even though you have to cheat to access them. Despite that, the Keen Dreams page doesn't count the "secret" levels that can only be played through cheats. That's a discussion for another topic, though.

The other level you're missing is the secret level, speaking of which Nisaba just gave a clue on how to get there. (By the way, I love how the maze is done in this mod. Looks so cool, dark, and a bit scary! I kind of wish it was red in the inside, though, but it's fine as it is. It probably wouldn't look as good in red anyway.) KeenWiki always counts the secret level(s) toward the total level count (and it should).
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Nisaba wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 22:07 you might wanna count again... ;)
I didn't realise at first that a rock formation was a level too...

OK, and now: bug report! The game freezes when I try to leave the Secret City area with the teleport! Won't I be able to complete it? :( :( :(
Although, perhaps "No clipping" might work? (I don't even know what "clipping" is and why is it called this way, but I know what this cheat does.) But I was wondering whether the teleport would take me back to the maze level, or somewhere outdoors... I haven't collected 100% of points-giving items in the maze...
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

which version of the mod are you running? cause that teleporter bug got addressed already.
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

And how to check it? But it's probably the version linked as "newest" at the mod's page...
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

your download package should have come with a note on the versioning number. else you can check title screen. there should be a version number added to Keens shirt like seen in the screenshot below

Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

So it's the same version as in the screenshot.