Marooned on Mars - Galaxy Mod

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Marooned on Mars - Galaxy Mod

Post by Nisaba »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 14:07 OK, and now: bug report! The game freezes when I try to leave the Secret City area with the teleport! Won't I be able to complete it? :( :( :(
running version 1.7.b I can't reproduce your bug on my end.

can you give me some more details on what you did and what happened afterwards, please? also did the game print an error message on your end?
out now (link) : Image
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

It's not at the point you captured. It's later, after I complete the Secret City area and try to go back with the teleport.
At least tell me - would I have been teleported back to the maze, or somewhere outdoors?
And how to get the error message from the game? After the game froze, I just had to close the window manually.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

this is how things should look like.
are you sure you're using version 1.7.b? and is this a stable freeze on your end?

(the game will display an error message automatically. you don't have to do or activate anything to make that happen)
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Yes. The teleport engages and then freezes. The music is still playing, but the game doesn't react to any keys, including escape.
OK, but if I anyway will be back to the outside, maybe I'll just use the "no clipping" cheat (whatever "clipping" is)?
I really have no idea how to see the error message. I'm playing in a window and there's no message, just music on and frozen image...
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

the game either crashes and displays an error message or freezes without any output

about clipping: https://keenwiki.shikadi.net/wiki/Patch:Clipping
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

What levels did you play/finish other than the Secret City, Nowhere Girl? That might contribute to the teleporter freezing bug. Last time I looked through the discussion, I think someone said that it's the Ice City (level where you get the vacuum cleaner) that makes the teleporter freeze the game. I don't know if it's a matter of simply playing Ice City or completing it, though.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Yorpenheimer
Meep

Post by Yorpenheimer »

Besides the bug on the secret city teleporter, what features does this mod need to be considered 'feature complete'? I have a couple thoughts, but I'd like to hear from others. Is outside work on the mod considered appropriate?

The Dr. Colossus work on the first two keen games bringing them in line with the Galaxy games is literally my dream come true, and this one in particular feels sooo close. I'd love to see these get completed someday!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

The teleport bug has already been fixed in my unofficial bugfix release from this thread.

I'd say: if you want to do a mod of a mod, go ahead and do it! Just remember to give credit where credit is due. Don't just steal other people's work and pretend it's yours.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Yorpenheimer
Meep

Post by Yorpenheimer »

Excellent! Thank you for the reply. I'll have to download your bug-fixed version! I wish it would get posted as the official one.