I've just published another release of ModId with a few changes. There isn't a lot of features added, but there's a warning below that someone might want to check out.
The last release may currently be found here: https://github.com/owenmpierce/modId/releases
FOR ANYBODY WHO IMPORTED VGA MASKED 16x16 TILES, PLEASE READ THIS:
So, it turned out that an old Wolfenstein 3D alpha version (from March), leaked long ago, has 16x16 tiles in its VGAGRAPH.WL1 file.
However, the format that ModId expected for VGA masked 16x16 tiles differed. I don't think ModId was really used for importing VGA 16x16 tiles, except for one case of what might be an abandoned game/mod.
Personally, I thought it's more important to be consistent with the tiles formats as originally used in early Wolfenstein 3D revisions. And so, ModId is now compatible with all 16x16 tiles from the Wolfenstein 3D alpha. (In fact, no change was required for the non-masked tiles, just the masked ones).
It does mean, though, that if any of you used ModId for importing VGA masked 16x16 tiles, changes will be required. In particular:
- You'll need to add a separate mask for the tiles. The -16color option has no effect on VGA tiles, and the masks are always separated from the color data.
- You'll probably also need to re-import the VGAGRAPH data, and possibly also modify any relevant game code for handling/drawing the tiles.
- Unfortunately, exporting 16x16 masked tiles from an older VGAGRAPH file may be a problem, unless you use an older version of ModId.
- I'm really sorry for doing this, but I thought it's more important to track the original formats (as once used in Wolf3D).
- Finally, you can still use an older version of ModId if it's really a problem.
A few more changes:
* def and palette files updates.
* VGA fonts are now exported as 8-bpp bmps (S3DNA fix).
* Added -optimizedcomp.
* Masked 16x16 tile no. 0 is now imported as-is, rather than being replaced
with a sparse tile. This was done so the Wolfenstein 3D alpha's graphics
can be exported and then imported back as-is.