The Lynxes' Nyx

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Nisaba
Janitress

The Lynxes' Nyx

Post by Nisaba »

THE LYNXES' NYX

:mort
happy snappy Mort day,
announcements, announcements, announcements:

currently I'm working on a slightly bigger mod. working title: The Lynxes' Nyx. It is going to be a crossover-mod, so to speak a mixture between SMW and Netkeen. It is intended to be a Multiplayergame in which every single level is a homage to a yet released mod. By looking at the astonishing development of this league and enthused by all your beautiful and admirable works this is my way of contributing to ya'll.

To give you an idea what this will be about:
The not-so-basic outline for the plot is that Commander Keen again is about to save a galaxy far far away. Meanwhile in a parallel universe some capricious villains are about to turn everything topsy-turvy. In absent of Keen these creatures of the night crumble and stumble everything within their reach. But being not so much blessed with brains (approximately caused by permanently stumping on each one another's heads), they even antagonise each other. Chaos is all around, the galaxy is on war!
That being said, one can select a foe by his choice and start chasing and preying upon challengers to become the most high-flying Lynx of the Nyx.

Therefore a lot of filthy source-coding needs to be done, that's for sure!

Here is a glimpse of what you can expect so far:

Image-Image
Image-Image
Image-Image
Image-Image
Image-Image

Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

OMG ARE YOU THE CHOSEN ONE FROM GRYFFINDOR???

No just kidding. Again, good work! This looks really interesting and I'm looking forward seeing it in action.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Woah. Just woah. Eye candy.
This is super duper exciting. It looks like an April Fools Day joke in a too-good-to-be-true way. There are Galaxy-style graphics for most of the Vorticon creatures by Dr.C and Ceilick, as I'm sure you know. Just saying. Not sure if you intent to keep the garg as is. He don't match very well with the rest of the cast.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

Awesome! More multiplayer keen! :D
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

This looks really cool. Hope to see this game soon.
troublesomekeen wrote:There are Galaxy-style graphics for most of the Vorticon creatures by Dr.C and Ceilick, as I'm sure you know. Just saying. Not sure if you intent to keep the garg as is. He don't match very well with the rest of the cast.
If you want you can of course use the sprites.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

thanx ya'll, I'm glad I could quicken interests!
Dr.Colossus wrote:This looks really cool. Hope to see this game soon. [...] If you want you can of course use the sprites.
thanx for that!
I will surly come back on that some time. The Vorticon Garg is actually a left over. I did started this crossover with Vorticons in mind. but after some time I decided to turn to the Galaxy graphics. Perceived that (at that time) Atroxian Realm was waiting in the wings and most of the releases were built in that Galaxy engine, I felt like I had to switch directions.
furthermore my plan is, to implement at least one villain from each released Galaxy-mod.

Right now I am about to upload a sneak-preview video, so you guys can get an idea, of what this is all about. but unfortunately I am facing some sound-recording issues...
so I'm asking for your patience.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Soo it's been ages and you said it was gonna be ready in July. Any updates on this?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

wiivn wrote:Soo it's been ages and you said it was gonna be ready in July. Any updates on this?
Thanks for your interest!

Nothing to report unfortunately; haven't touched this in months, because of a bad system crash and between work and other interests I haven't had any chunk of time to dedicate to it. Plus I am having some major issues with some coding stuff as well. all I can give you by now is a little video preview.

click hyperlink: vimeo.com/TheLynxesNyx-Preview
Last edited by Nisaba on Thu Aug 11, 2016 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Looks really cool!
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: The Lynxes' Nyx

Post by Nisaba »

...it would be awesome if each character comes with a special attack or a secret weapon or something. but I haven't figured that out yet...
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Nisaba wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 0:35 my vision is to have a Keen related game which won't feature our beloved hero
DoomJedi wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:05 I understand the idea and it's original...still have issues with Keen game without Keen. Maybe at least "Evil Keen" recolor (beside Mortimer) so we can still have Keen skin there?
The rest of the idea is great.
Nisaba wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 0:35 well, it would be awesome if each character comes with a special attack or a secret weapon or something. but I haven't figured that out yet...
DoomJedi wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:05 Love brainstorming :)
Don't enemies have...there attack anyway, in Keen games? Not all are "touch enemies" only, some have melee and projectile attacks, even electroshock abilities. And there could be environmental dangers and special enemy powers over them...like some enemy that can go in water or lava or other places that others can't - and so have to choose alt paths?
Nisaba wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 0:35 but I'm surly interested in your BomberKeen project as well. do you think of it as a classic Bomberman clone?
DoomJedi wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:05 Well, originally - yes. Over different planets and themes (many of them made, though I need to edit some to add perspective).
But with time - I thought to make it more...keeny. To have Keen-related powerups, environmental hazards (maybe poison slugs to put "longer stay" poison pools (they themselves can go through) instead of bombs, etc...treasure eater to steal powerups and bombs, blue bird to fly over some tiles, flect - reflect bombs ....etc etc....so much potential).

Notice SMW and Bomberman use different perspectives on sprites, so mixing both types on the same level doesn't seem proper.
Those can be either different battle modes, or to complete each other - BomberKeen will happen on the face of planets (aka World Map) - top down view, and then enemies can enter actual levels to have SMW-type fights (...and even possible Load Runner type fights, there is cool 4 player Load Runner battle game on one of the old consoles I have on retropie (PC Engine(?)). This will make this StarWars epic scale of battles all over planets. We can create whole battle system and maybe later port it even to retropie (like we did with SplitWolf which is now in optional packages). There are other cool battle concepts I recently discovered, like the "floor hammering" one.

...working on Treasure Eater skin
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

New character in BomberKeenverse

Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

DoomJedi wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 15:55
New character in BomberKeenverse

ah, they are adorable. I'm a huge fan of your interpretation of Arachnut, Bobba and the Vorticon Elite. do you plan to use Keen related background graphics as well?
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

I have tons of made Keem related themes for the levels (from all Keens and even TUIT trilogy), can post examples if you want.
This is Keen 3 for example:

Keen 5:

The things is - the last Dr Kylstein thing he was working on before he left - was bomb pushing, and so he temporary disabled bomb explosions, so until I'll recompile the code - I am limited on that I can show.
Source is still there.

I can show the different themes on my Game Maker reskins though. I have 2 Game Maker-based versions of BomberKeen (with source).
Some demos of that already exist on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bkws5bB4Q0