The Alphamatic (Version 2 In Development + Marooned Over Mars Expansion)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Who would you want to see as the playable character?

Keep it Keen
45%
Lindsey
8%
Spot
15%
Oracle Janitor
3%
Lt. Barker
30%

Total votes: 40

Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

The Alphamatic (Version 2 In Development + Marooned Over Mars Expansion)

Post by Gridlock »

Edit: It's done! Get it in the release thread here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086

With E3 starting tomorrow, I thought I'd share in the spirit and give you all a little sneak peak of my next smaller project. The new mod is a Keen 5 levelpack tentatively titled The Alphamatic. I've been working on it as a side project for about a year and half. It might even tie in with Atroxian Realm's story ;)

Here's some screens:

Yes, that is a conveyor belt in the last picture. Thanks to the people here for making that possible: http://keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?t=1947

-----

I'm not sure when it will be done. Right now, I've completed 12 levels in the pack, which is one short of the default amount in Keen 5. However, thanks to the magic of patches, I'll most likely be able to add more. I'll probably do some fiddling with music and also make my own story sequences, which will take time.

Note: this is not running on lemm's new Keen engine but rather the normal Keen 5 with CK5Patch.

I'll probably share more details soon. If possible, I'm hoping to have this out within the next month or two. Stay tuned.
Last edited by Gridlock on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:33, edited 3 times in total.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

sweet cake!
I'm pretty excited about that conveyor belt. had just plans to implement them on a smaller project myself. by the way, nice graphical belt solution you have chosen. looking forward to see them in action.
any plans so far to trigger them via a switch or key?
out now (link) : Image
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

any plans so far to trigger them via a switch or key?
In some spots, I'm using conveyor belts that can be turned on or off via switch. Keygem activated conveyor belts would be really cool, but that's probably not doable here. I'm currently only using conveyor belts in two levels, but I'll probably add some more of them if I expand the level count.

I'm just starting to flesh out the story. The idea is that this could be a mini-sequel to Atroxian Realm, expanding the story a little more beyond AR's ending. One idea I'm toying around with is having someone other than Keen be the playable character. Would people want to see a mod where you play as perhaps Lindsay, Oracle Janitor, Lt. Barker, or Spot?

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

So it's not just a levelpack. It's a mod.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It may be.

Personally I'd love to see Lindsey. Think of it, Commander Queen!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It's Princess Lindsey, not Queen.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

two things:

a) are your sequel plans already written out? caus' when I look at the tileset a prequel kind of notion comes to mind...

b) what about Kylie?
out now (link) : Image
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Ooooh this is gonna be good. I really like the look of that diagonal hallway with the spindreds and flame hazards. The conveyor belt is also a neat feature, is it possible and do you plan to make it transport Keen faster than in Levellass' preview?
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Grimson wrote:I really like the look of that diagonal hallway with the spindreds and flame hazards.
Same here, looks pretty neat.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

I'd love to be able to play as Spot. He has always been one of my favorites. And the cutest. Even if not playable, some sort of follow around type-deal (by option either/or) like Sonic and Tails would be pretty cool.

At any rate, I like the mod plans, looking good, buddy!
kvee
Vortininja

Post by kvee »

wiivn wrote:It's Princess Lindsey, not Queen.
She might have gotten a promotion since the events of CK4?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Clever title! A galaxy creating machine, perhaps? The Shikadi have to recreate the galaxy in there own image somehow after unleashing the Omegamatic...

I feel like the keen 5 tile set begs to be played by Keen alone.

Maybe I'll finish AR before this is finished :dead
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I'd still like to play as Keen.

I'm really looking forward to using the conveyor belts and diagonally-moving track platforms; they look really neat!
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Ceilick wrote:Clever title! A galaxy creating machine, perhaps? The Shikadi have to recreate the galaxy in there own image somehow after unleashing the Omegamatic...
To me, the Alphamatic sounds like a huge space station (alpha station) where all Omegamatics (and other VitaCorp products?) are manufactured.
Fleexy wrote:Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I'd still like to play as Keen.
Same here. I don't mean to disrespect mods/fangames, but I don't find any of the fanmade Keeniverse characters/protagonists particularly interesting :confused
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I'm actually kind of surprised that Keen got the majority. I guess there's nothing like the classic feel. Well, maybe I'll scrap the other playable character idea.
Same here. I don't mean to disrespect mods/fangames, but I don't find any of the fanmade Keeniverse characters/protagonists particularly interesting Confused
Yeah. I guess we've never really seen any of those characters fleshed out beyond a few sentences. I'd still like to include them in the plot going forward though.
are your sequel plans already written out? caus' when I look at the tileset a prequel kind of notion comes to mind...
It's all pretty loose at this point. I have a vague idea of where a potential AR sequel story could go, but I won't be getting into much of that here. If you've beaten AR you'll know that I included VitaCorp in the story, so this story could partly relate to Keen's search for answers. It'd be more of a bridge story than anything else. At its core, I still think this will be more of an enhanced level pack than anything else.

I don't have that great of an idea of what the Alphamatic will represent at this point. I was thinking it might be a prototype Armageddon Machine, but I also like some other ideas like the galaxy creating machine or a manufacturing station.

I've got a lot of cool level design ideas implemented, and I look forward to sharing those. For the most part these levels aren't as dense and complex as the AR levels.
The conveyor belt is also a neat feature, is it possible and do you plan to make it transport Keen faster than in Levellass' preview?
That'd be cool, but probably not here. I might see if that's possible in a future project though.