The Alphamatic (Version 2 In Development + Marooned Over Mars Expansion)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Who would you want to see as the playable character?

Keep it Keen
45%
Lindsey
8%
Spot
15%
Oracle Janitor
3%
Lt. Barker
30%

Total votes: 40

Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Gridlock wrote:I'm actually kind of surprised that Keen got the majority. I guess there's nothing like the classic feel. Well, maybe I'll scrap the other playable character idea.
I agree but it was an interesting idea with mixed feelings, which made into a pretty good discussion. Now we know.. keep it Keen. ;)

The ideas and everything are splendid. Keep it up!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Nooo! Keen again! Oh the patriarchy!

Adjusting the conveyor speed is rather easy, come to think of it I should probably add that patch to the wiki.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Not really a huge surprise, considering the name of the forum. It's probably safe to say the community prefers Keen games by default, but can be open to others on a case-by-case basis.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Being the resident Keen replacer, I've got a pretty good response to, well, replacing Keen, especially with a berkeloid.
We're fans of the series and it is rich with a plethora of characters.
I remember my first mod project was to include Keen 5 levels. The group of bad guys (who are trying to blow up the oracle) bought an Omegamatic from Vitacorp but assembled it wrong. Broken pipes, short circuited wires, clashing background tiles, janky foreground. The Omessedupmatic.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The patriarchy I say! I demand Pat be banned from this forum, he's turning everyone against me!

Actually it's now possible to use two sets of graphics, which should allow two protagonists depending on which BAT file is used. If this goes through I'll make a Lindsey addition just out of stubbornness. (An addition to a universe that nobody asked for, I'm like Hollywood!)
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

For those who care, happy Fourth of July! Speaking of things going boom:

I've recently finished a first draft of the help screen story, and I may share that soon. I'm thinking of appending the Atroxian Realm title onto this one so that it will be Atroxian Realm: The Alphamatic. I'm starting to form a roadmap in my head of where the story can go. While I can't promise anything after this, I am thinking about the concept for the next entry. It would probably be more of a mini-mod with a much smaller scope to continue the story of the Atroxians and their origin. That's probably a long ways off if it does happen.

I've also made good progress on the levels. I'm expanding the level count a bit, and that'll give me a chance to design some smaller levels to pace the game better. I also have a cool idea for changing up the QED if the patching works out. I'm hoping to get this game released within a month or two, so stay tuned.

As for the playable character, I'm sticking with Keen for now. However, there's no reason that couldn't change, especially since Lindsey, Spot, Oracle Janitor, and Barker are all included involved in the story, if mostly just for exposition at this point.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Come now, it'll be Keen. It's always Keen. Saying otherwise is a nice thought experiment but it ain't gonna happen.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

I'm currently working on a solution of seamlessly switching tilesets/sprite-graphics. it might be possible to switch characters true the gameplay. so maybe in a little section over here and a specific spot over there one could switch the main character...

also a solution of the Mink-Puzzle-Style comes to mind. check this: Mink's Puzzle Pack
out now (link) : Image
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Even though I'm in favor of Keen, I voted Lt. Barker anyway. I feel he's the one alternate character that would make the most sense considering he's a fellow galactic fighter.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I voted for Bip. He's the ultimate multiverse fighter!1
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I'm currently working on a solution of seamlessly switching tilesets/sprite-graphics. it might be possible to switch characters true the gameplay. so maybe in a little section over here and a specific spot over there one could switch the main character...
That's pretty interesting. I think this game is too far along for character switching, but it's something I'd seriously like to consider for a follow up. Especially since any follow up would probably be built with the AR engine, which might allow more flexibility for stuff like this. I think it'd be really neat to have the option to switch between the 5 characters for puzzle solving.
Come now, it'll be Keen. It's always Keen. Saying otherwise is a nice thought experiment but it ain't gonna happen.
Yeah, you may be right. The other Keen characters have so little involvement in the Keen universe that's it hard to justify one of them carrying an entire plot unless it's specifically tailored for them. I am trying to get these characters more involved in the story though, at least for the beginning and ending.

Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I haven't had a lot of time to work on this in the last few weeks, but I thought I'd give an update. I'm pretty sure the final game is going to have 18 levels. Of those, 15 are in a beta state (nearly finished besides further testing), 2 are in a partially completed state, and 1 still has to be started. So all in all, the level designs are pretty close. I've been kind of stuck lately thanks to obnoxious memory-related crashes on the final level, though, so that's really slowing progress down.

Besides that, I'm also working on the story screens. I thought I'd show you all a rough draft of the help section story. What do you think?

keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Oooh! I like the nod to Star Wars VII there... :p
This is going to be very cool. Really looking forward to it!
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

wow, this story is huge.
it is fun to read but you might wanna shorten it up a bit and give it a bit more crisp. in my opinion those characters could get worked out a bit more. At this moment they seem to be interchangeable and don't stand as individuals.
For example I'd love to here the Janitor saying more sentence like this:
"Mmph... You kids never call anymore."
He could be the character which doesn't further the facts and storyline, but who mumbles and grumbles around to give this a slight humorous touch.

One thing I do really like though is the connection between "The Armageddon Machine" and "Atroxian Relam".
the story idea is very catchy but as being said, you could add zest to the story telling.
Last edited by Nisaba on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:06, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Nisaba wrote:it is fun to read but you might wanna shorten it up a bit and give it a bit more crisp
you don't know who you're talking to