The Alphamatic (Version 2 In Development + Marooned Over Mars Expansion)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Who would you want to see as the playable character?

Keep it Keen
45%
Lindsey
8%
Spot
15%
Oracle Janitor
3%
Lt. Barker
30%

Total votes: 40

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Memory issues huh? Any idea why? You'd be surprised where you can cut corners. (If you can put it into the background tileset, do so.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

So, good news :) I've finished initial versions of all the levels in the game (I ended up adding one extra level to bring the count to 19).

I think this means now would be a good time to start doing some alpha testing. I'm looking for 1-3 people who'd be willing to test this alpha version. Though anyone who tested Atroxian Realm is certainly welcome, I'll also open this up to anyone who's interested.

What I'm looking for:

- Play through all the game's levels (we can decide which difficulty level)
- Report any bugs, such as those related to tile arrangement, enemy placement, clipping, crashes, etc.
- Give feedback on difficulty balancing
- Give general thoughts/impressions on level designs; what can be improved?

Though video recordings with or without commentary are awesome, I'd also be perfectly happy with just screenshots and text.

If you're interested, just post here or private message me and I'll consider you. I'd certainly appreciate the help.

In the meantime, I'll be getting busy with college starting up again. When I have time, the next major task will be tweaking the help section story and implementing my draft of the ending text into the game. If anyone else has thoughts on the story draft I posted recently, I'd appreciate the feedback before I start doing more story work.

I'm not sure how long it'll take to finish up the remaining work, but I'm hopeful it'll done fairly soon, and by the end of the year at the latest. Thanks everyone!
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well I'm interested; I do like to nitpick.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
{DARKDUNE}
Vortininja

Post by {DARKDUNE} »

Alpha-testing the Alphamatic? Sounds like fun. count me in :)
Netkeen TUIT coming up
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

This looks very promising
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

I'll try! :D
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Hey everyone, it's been a while, but I have a little more time to work on this now. Currently doing level revisions based on alpha testing feedback as well as making some graphical updates such as replacing a few backgrounds. The new visuals are still in line with the original Keen 5 but should add a new feel to the game. I'll save them as a surprise.

This is a bit of a long shot, but if anyone has any Keen 5-ish music they'd like to contribute, it would be awesome to include some new tracks. I do have a handful of new music tracks, and I'm bringing back two of the outtakes from Keen 5, but it would be nice to get away from the standard K5 soundtrack.

I'm also considering making alternate versions of some Keen 5 enemies with slightly modified behaviors/graphics to keep things interesting, but that's a lot of extra work, so I'm not sure if I'll go through with it.

Beyond those things, the last major task will involve implementing some patches in the final level as well as the ending sequence. I'm still thinking about how this game could tie into a potential AR sequel story (but don't get your hopes up of seeing that sequel anytime soon).

Not sure when this will be done. I guess it's possible I could try to get it out as early as Christmas, but that depends on a lot of things going right.

Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Gridlock wrote: I'm still thinking about how this game could tie into a potential AR sequel story (but don't get your hopes up of seeing that sequel anytime soon).
    • VS
Gridlock wrote:Not sure when this will be done. I guess it's possible I could try to get it out as early as Christmas, but that depends on a lot of things going right.
you mean Keen Day, don't you?!

besides that:
you already know that I adore your worldmap track. it is fabulous! I'm looking forward for some further reimagined reinterpretations (knock, knock: Mr. M, kvee!!)
furthermore, altering some enemies sounds delicious!
out now (link) : Image
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Well, I suppose this technically is a sequel story, but again it's not really a full sequel like what I'm envisioning.
you mean Keen Day, don't you?!
Well, it'd be cool to have it released then, but March is a bad time of year for me to get anything Keen-related done. I'm going to try to finish it soon, but if I'm still waiting on things like patches I could just sit on the release until then.
you already know that I adore your worldmap track. it is fabulous! I'm looking forward for some further reimagined reinterpretations (knock, knock: Mr. M, kvee!!)
Well, you'll be happy to know that I decided to work on more of these reimagined tracks in the last few days. I was able to dig up midis from Bobby Prince as well as some marked with XKY (I think they were composed from the ground up by XkyRauh?), and I've created alternate versions from those. So now most of the music will be different. I still have room for a few more tracks, though, if anyone wants to contribute music.

Now that I've been thinking more about it, I might pass on changing most of the enemies. I did, for example, have the idea of making a smaller little ampton (a "Little Little Ampton") that normal horizontal shots would pass over, but I think most enemy changes would require significant patching work that would delay the game for no good reason. And, once I change one enemy, there's an expectation that others will be different as well.

Anyway, I might start some beta testing fairly soon. I've been making an effort to reduce the difficulty since the alpha testing phase.

Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

concerning that "lil" Little Ampton you could simply change its hitbox values by manipulating the 5SPRITES.TXT file (plus editing the graphics of course). I don't know about further tweaking ideas of yours, but this is doable and shouldn't compromise any other creature.
I decided to work on more of these reimagined tracks in the last few days. [...] So now most of the music will be different.
That's exciting. can't wait to see, pardon, hear them in action! well actually... do you think you could send over a tiny little sneak preview? I'm really curious, yes I am!
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

How soon would you need new songs to be provided?

I'm off on holiday for the next 2 weeks or so I should have a free moment to put together a couple songs--or provide some previously unreleased material.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Hello Mr. M! I was hoping to have the mod released soon, but since the patches won't be ready for at least a little while I'd say there's time.

I'd be happy to share more details about how we could include more music. Most of the game has remixed/altered versions of original Keen 5 songs plus a handful of my own, but there are definitely a few spots where new tracks could be added (and some of mine could potentially be improved/replaced). I could even send you a beta of the game or a preview of some levels if you'd want. I had even considered asking you about including some tracks from Mink's Puzzle Pack, but I decided I wanted something original. If you really wanted to be ambitious, I don't currently have any replacements for the scrolling story, help, and ending tracks.

Thanks!

Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Re: The Alphamatic

Post by Gridlock »

As a last minute Keen Day thing, I figured I'd throw together a quick demo-reel preview of the game. Some things are still a WIP, but you'll get a taste of the graphics and music alterations. Enjoy!:

https://youtu.be/FEfJrxxb5Ng

There's not much progress to report in the last 2 or 3 months since I have absolutely no time to work on this. I was hoping to make a Keen Day release, and that didn't happen. Still, it's getting close, and it just needs a few more pieces to fall into place. When I can (hopefully in May or June), I might try to get some beta testing started with anyone who's interested.

Happy Keen Day!

Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

ah, you've changed the colour palette slightly, haven't you?! that's neat. this way around - in contrast to the omegamatic - it gets some sort of an alpha kind of touch to it. like it a lot!

and like I've mentioned before, I absolutely love the music alterations. some of them sound like Mr.M compositions, am I right?
looking forward for the final update! what's about that ending sequence (patches), any news yet?!
Last edited by Nisaba on Wed Mar 15, 2017 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful! Your work has always been more than pleasing. Keep going with it, as I know you certainly will! :begging