Welcome to the migrated PCKF!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Welcome to the migrated PCKF!

Post by Fleexy »

As I'm sure you noticed from everything looking different, the move has completed! Status report:
  • Everything is still here content-wise: users, posts, PMs. The only thing lost was a handful of extremely long posts that were clearly intended to cause disruption; I had to remove them because they crashed the database upgrade utility. If you direly want their original text, it's in the scraped backup from a few months ago. (Dealing with this was why the downtime was longer than expected.)
  • The reason everything looks different is that we're on the newest version of phpBB. As anticipated, that broke our cool visual styles. I hope to restore most of the Keenishness soon. Also, the bold red for admins' usernames is a little much IMO and will be adjusted. I would have migrated over the site logos, but they don't fit in the new header. That might be fixable when restyling stuff, or we could think about a new logo. At least our emotikeens are unharmed! Let me know if there's anything you want changed. I would welcome help with CSS.
  • Account activation is now automatic, but new users require moderator approval for their first two posts. This should cut down on the amount of spam that needs to be cleaned up. Surprisingly, three spambots appeared on K:M within minutes of it going live.
  • We're at this domain (pckf.rigeltechnical.com) because we couldn't reach VitaminZach to update the DNS. Hopefully we'll be able to contact him soon, then we'll go back to our old domain. I plan on doing a global search-and-replace in posts to update links, but I am currently tired and tired database management is a dangerous thing.
  • The Trash Can subforum has been hidden from normal view because it wasn't used for anything.
  • If you're not seeing the new Keen Modding site, make sure you've flushed your DNS cache. On Windows, you can do that with "ipconfig /flushdns" in a console window.
Please report problems and requests for changes right here. Welcome to the migrated PCKF!

I would like to thank Andy Durdin for his generosity in keeping these forums going for so long and for essentially creating the field of Keen modding. I remember when I first joined and tried to do some patching; he was very gracious and helped me along. We should all say a big THANK YOU! to him.

Happy Keening,

Fleexy
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Re: Welcome to the migrated PCKF!

Post by ScarletFlame »

Congrats! I'm currently planning on making a small tribute video to PCKF, filled with funny posts and stuff. I'm glad that a lot of the old posts are still around. I just want to say thanks to everyone who made this community what it is today. :-D
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Posts and PMs, too! I'm surprised. Thank you!
I'm as blind as a blue bird in this current format. :disguised :p
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Hey-ho! Glad everything was pretty much saved. \o/

*stumbles blindly around the new layout*
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Fleex wrote: I would welcome help with CSS.
It's been a while but I might still remember some CSS scripting. I'm delighted to help, just pm me.

btw: let me do just a little double posting. concerning the logo, what do you guys think about a little change over here as well. don't get me wrong, I love the original style, I really do. but, why not...

Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

That's a little...crowded and busy, in my opinion. My eye is not at all sure where to look.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Great work, Fleexy, thank you for taking the lead! My limited time and technical inability are at your disposal :o

I definitely support and encourage bringing this place back to its former visual/stylistic glory first (to the extent we can), before branching out and trying something new. That said, I don't want to discourage discussion on how to improve our community space and take advantage of our new phpbb features either.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

:O
head explodes, body falls to the floor
after a few seconds a new head pops out from the fresh stump

Welcome back, PCKF!
adurdin
Grunt

Post by adurdin »

Thanks very much to Fleexy for stepping up to take over the hosting! :rollin
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

@Fleex: it seems that the Allan Style - SUBSILVER style is pretty close to what we were all used to. it shouldn't be too hard to manipulate the CSS scripts, to make it look like the old board.

EDIT:
@adurdin / Fleex: could you please send/share the original SUBSILVER style files. this would make converting things much easier for me!
out now (link) : Image
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

Thanks a lot!
Fleexy wrote:[*]The Trash Can subforum has been hidden from normal view because it wasn't used for anything.
Yes it was. There was one whole thread in it. And not just any thread, but one of the quality SupFanat threads. Bring it back!
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Nice work, Fleex. I wasn't expecting the place to feel so... different. It's like changing from LXQT or i3 to GNOME 3 haha.

I'm impressed by the speed of the spammers - I just deleted a post here! I forgot to check the user registration date, but we can always go back and check. I like that deleted posts don't have to be permanently deleted on phpBB 3.

I am quite capable with CSS (web design is a part of my jobs), so should be able to answer many questions or make edits for you.

Thanks again for your efforts over the years, Andy, and to Fleecy for taking this on.

Edit: seems I have a load of new topic requests from spam accounts in my notifications panel. This is very different, and the admins might like to set some new boundaries for us spam zappers. Do we vett new user thread requests now?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Thanks, Fleexy, for jumping in so quickly to get hosting done. I step away for a week and everything changes! :D

Also thanks, Andy, for giving us a home to live at for so long (and for giving us an eviction notice so that we would finally leave).
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Hi, everyone. It's good to be back. :scary The new board is looking sharp. I'm yet to get used to having the user-stuff on the right side, but then again I've only been here for a few minutes.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Wow. Whoa. Whew.

This is... this is, this is... n e a t. I'm really keen on this new development.
(Yeah, I know, I'll see myself out again.) :p