Mod Levelmaps

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
tulip
Flower Pot

Mod Levelmaps

Post by tulip »

I posted this in Keen modding as well:

I've made 343 Level Maps of Keen Mods and I've thought about if someone would like to see them or if it's a good idea to put mod level maps into KeenWiki? Is this spoiling the mod fun? (I have made them after beating the levels, but others may look at it before)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

That's quite a solid effort! Yes, it would be great to see them. There are already a few mods documented on DOSClassics, but it wasn't maintained after its initial creation.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Sounds like a plan to me. KeenWiki could be a good place for.them. Maybe put a spoiler warning somewhere if you're worried about giving spoilers for people who haven't played the particular mods.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Wow! :eek I'd like to see some, as I've never seen my own levels (in case they're included) in one view. How did you make them?
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Only the Maps of Yorphius II ar included, as it is the only one of your mods I was able to finish, yet...

I just opened the levels with iKeen, set my screen resolution to max and made a screenshot with the "print" key. Then i imported it to Corel Photopaint. Some of the biggest levels I had to put together from several images...

EDIT: KeenRush seems to like the idea, so i started with uploading the Yorphius level maps and linking to the Yorphius article. But i still think its kind of ugly how the thumbs all sit on the right side. If anyone knows how to put small images on the left or even more compact in lines you're welcome to change it, I'll ad the next ones according to this example then..

EDIT again: I found out myself, have a look at it if you like it that way.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Wow, that was lucky. I moved the KeenWiki across to a new (hopefully faster) webserver a couple of hours before you uploaded the files - but to avoid downtime it's still linking back to the old server's database (so that any edits that still get made on the old server won't be lost, while all the updated DNS entries are settling across the 'net.)

Unfortunately this means any files uploaded on the old server won't appear on the new one - so it was really lucky all your uploads ended up on the new server!

This is a great idea though, I didn't even know you could use the <gallery/> tag to list all the level photos like you did - excellent job! It'll make it easier for people like me to appreciate the effort that goes into mods (because I'm terrible at playing them and the cheats are often disabled, so I usually don't see beyond the first level...)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Looking good! Ah, the memories... :yorp I should really play it again, haven't done that for a long time.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Lucky indeed.
The idea with gallery came from the Kinks Discography site on Wikipedia which I remembered. I had to look up an old version from 2007 to find it, though.
So I shall proceed uploading other levelmaps.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Just if anyone's interested, all of the levelmaps I've done so far are up now.
More will follow, but propably not before december as I will be on vacation for a month. :christmas
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

They're fantastic, thanks for going to the trouble of creating and uploading them! They make the mod pages much more interesting. Here's a link to one of the pages for those who aren't sure where to look.