Commander Keen - the earth explodes mod

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
c64cosmin
Vortininja

Re: Commander Keen - the earth explodes mod

Post by c64cosmin »

Don't know, but I guess I will keep making songs when time is available.
Really had fun doing two songs, then work hit hard.
I think I should post those aswell on YT.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

DarkAle wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 19:20 Is this mod still in development or is finished? :confused
I've been wondering the same thing for a while. This mod has so much promise -- the screenshots Nisaba posted look so cool! It seems that Dr. Colossus hasn't been around for over two years. I wonder if Nisaba has any clue, because if I remember correctly, she said she keeps in contact with a bunch of Keen mod creators.
Nisaba wrote:
Do you know anything about the status of this mod?

I hope this post will help -- I know a bump can go a long way in reviving once-thought-to-be dead projects.

EDIT: Just learned how to properly ping users. Hopefully this works!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

...well, all things considered it's more or less just a matter of a number of needed patches.
alternatively though one could make an effort and turn this into a full source code based mod. I'd truly love to do that as the time and effort already spent deserves to gain a finalized release. unfortunately though I'm already knee-deep into another project you might have heard of.
so we might need some volunteers
out now (link) : Image
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

I’d be so happy to see this finished, really!
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Tormentor667 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 22:27 I’d be so happy to see this finished, really!
Me too!
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Looks like it's been over a year since the last post, and there still isn't any sign of progress. Depending on the patches needed (one of them is making the Scrubs cling to walls and ceilings, right?), it might be easier to turn this mod into a source-code one, especially since not many patches are made nowadays (aside from the occasional patch from nwe74 on Keen: Modding, whose contributions are greatly appreciated).

If no one is willing to take the wheel, then could this mod perhaps get a KeenWiki page? I know that site doesn't allow mods in progress, but I've sometimes felt that we could at least make an exception for mods that haven't received any updates for a few years and have a demo with substantial content. I mean, if the author seems to have vanished, then the mod might as well be considered "abandoned", right? I just don't want to see this mod get buried in the depths of PCKF and be forgotten...
Nisaba wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:36 ...well, all things considered it's more or less just a matter of a number of needed patches.
alternatively though one could make an effort and turn this into a full source code based mod. I'd truly love to do that as the time and effort already spent deserves to gain a finalized release. unfortunately though I'm already knee-deep into another project you might have heard of.
so we might need some volunteers
Are you actually in contact with Dr. Colossus or no? He hasn't logged-in here since 2019.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

I'd really like to see this made into a source code mod (and heck, maybe the Keen 1 Galaxy mod as well). I've gotten pretty decent at C lately, so I could potentially help out with the coding.
c64cosmin
Vortininja

Post by c64cosmin »

I still have my two songs on my computer somewhere.
Is it possible to reverse engineer Dr. Colossus' development up until this point so we can continue?
This is also a moral dilemma if he would agree to this...
(Also I hope he is safe, haven't been online for 4 years :( )