Foray in the Forest (development thread)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Re: Foray in the Forest (development thread)

Post by Grimson »

I have totally missed all the updates to this mod. Grandiose work!

I like the XkyKeen sprite, it's a refreshing change, and honestly, the vanilla sprite just wouldn't fit the highly detailed surroundings.

And comparisons of the graphics to Keen 59 are both accurate and praiseworthy ;)

Please tell me you'll replace the gem/gem holder graphics, I'm sick of how no-one has ever bothered to replace them!

If you need some pixel art or story-writing help, maybe I could be of assistance. You can also reach me via PCKF Discord.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Grimson wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:11 I have totally missed all the updates to this mod. Grandiose work!
[...]
Please tell me you'll replace the gem/gem holder graphics, I'm sick of how no-one has ever bothered to replace them!
thanks! I'm very happy you like it.

re gem holder graphics. If I recall correctly, Bubbatom replaced them with shells, conchs and clams. however, inspecting video footage from players, I got the impression that it wasn't always clear what they were good for or where to put them. anyway, what would be your suggestion for an alternative solution?
out now (link) : Image
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Nisaba wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 0:05
proYorp wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:20 I had a dream today that Nisaba posted a preview of the way the solid terrain would work in the Foray engine, with a little interactive example on a website. The ground looked almost exactly like the same 2.5D style as in Goodbye Galaxy but it was made of 3D vertices instead of 2D tiles so it was able to have a little bit of perspective shifting, and it was able to have objects on top of it without weird tile overlapping or something.

I must have very high expectations for this mod. [...]
this wasn't by any means part of your perspective shifting dream, was it?
:lol Can't believe you actually did this.

I think in my dream it looked a lot like Keys of Krodacia actually, with those colorful hallways that had various furniture in them. The shot was pretty minimal in size (to avoid spoilers probably). Each of the little 3D previews was only about 8 or so "tiles" wide and the main one I remember was a short hallway two "tiles" tall, with a dead end wall on the left and the hallway continued offscreen to the right. The 3D effect was similar to one I've seen in a fangame on YouTube, which I think was called "Heart of Darkness" or something.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

what the heck! it's 3D now! :garg :mortlol
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

proYorp wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:19 I think in my dream it looked a lot like Keys of Krodacia actually, with those colorful hallways that had various furniture in them. The shot was pretty minimal in size (to avoid spoilers probably). Each of the little 3D previews was only about 8 or so "tiles" wide and the main one I remember was a short hallway two "tiles" tall, with a dead end wall on the left and the hallway continued offscreen to the right. The 3D effect was similar to one I've seen in a fangame on YouTube, which I think was called "Heart of Darkness" or something.
Oh yeah,
the "Keen vs. Heart of Darkness" mashup also impressed me a lot. That very video made an impact on me. So much so, in fact, that I had Dr. Colossus (the creator) send me the raw data and unused material. The same I have consulted again and again when I was looking for inspiration on the forest theme. I would find a full fangame in this style phenomenal!

Regarding the hallways that have different furniture. Would you be okay with a lab type situation as well? I'm working on that at least. There would also be some dead end walls on the left... ;)
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

For your info, I'm making very good progress right now and getting a lot of things done that are still on the list, which feels pretty uplifting. For instance, the tileset is packed to the brim with graphics. Every space is being used as efficiently as possible to create the maximum amount of variation for each level.
So far everything works according to plan. (After I finally found time to work on the mod again).

One of the basic ideas was that no level should feel like a previous one. Each level should have its own character, follow its own idea and theme. This concerns structure, setting, design, color scheme, music, enemies, mechanics, and so on and so forth. My aim is to keep you guys entertained throughout the whole mod.
Where possible, I have also made an attempt to introduce new and unprecedented things. These can be small ideas, but also mechanics that you can look forward to like rethinking the idea of level borders and stuff. I am very satisfied with the results, to be honest. Playtesting is really fun for me, even though I know everything inside out. Should be a good sign, I guess
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Doing the math, from the percentages you put in your description it looks like the status of the entire mod is about 95%. That's incredible! So could we expect the release of this mod by the end of the year or will it take a while longer?
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Just wanted to drop by to say that everything I've seen about this, all the work and dedication, has been so impressive. I wish you good luck and success getting the mod done one day, hopefully sooner than later. Even if I find it hard to play almost anything Keen related right now (and I don't know why, some weird psychological glitch in my head) I'm definitely going to play this when it's out. :goth
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Any plan of a VGA edition of FiF?
Yeah, piece of cake!
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Are there any news about the game?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

KeenRush wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:55 Just wanted to drop by to say that everything I've seen about this, all the work and dedication, has been so impressive. I wish you good luck and success getting the mod done one day, hopefully sooner than later. Even if I find it hard to play almost anything Keen related right now (and I don't know why, some weird psychological glitch in my head) I'm definitely going to play this when it's out. :goth
You can't imagine how much that means to me. I am very flattered and work hard that my production hopefully can meet your standards. Your inventiveness and your way of looking at things outside-the-box has always impressed me and inspired me.

Nowhere Girl wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 15:31 Are there any news about the game?
100% Programming || 99% GFX || 98% Levels || 99% Creatures || 100% Story || 100% Music || 100% SFX || 100% Extras

I think I can lift the curtain a tiny little bit and reveal a few insights:
Inspired by @Bubbatom this game will have four different endings that you can reach, depending on how you behave and interact in the game. Also, within some of the ending sequences there will be variables depending on what you have managed to discover during the game.
That said, this mod will be all about exploring. And I assure you that there are tons of things to discover. I tried to keep the replay value high with new ideas and details that you might only discover the second, third or tenth run.
That's why each level map follows its own theme. And in each level there are graphics or enemies or other things that you can only find there. Sometimes it's a small thing, sometimes it's the complete structure of the level.

But the most exciting news will probably be that I can say for sure that this mod will be released this year!

On of my last remaining todos on my list is an adjustment for the highscore entries. If someone out there is experienced in C programming and would like to help me out, please let me know!
EDIT: I just managed to fix it with the help of NY00123!
Last edited by Nisaba on Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:55, edited 3 times in total.
Dave216
Vortininja

Post by Dave216 »

But the most exciting news will probably be that I can say for sure that this mod will be released this year!
I haven't been very active in expressing how I am looking forward for the release. I can't wait! Everything I seen so far looks so epic! I love that each level will have it's own theme.

It's funny how the releases of this year's modern games don't excite me at all. Yet...I am really eager to play this mod!
"I don’t care what model it was! No vacuum cleaner should give a human being a double polaroid!"
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yeah definitely. I'm expecting 314 release 😂
I'm excited. Hopefully it will not be the last big Keen mod ever released..
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Roobar wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:43 Yeah definitely. I'm expecting 314 release 😂
Same guess. :evil
Yeah, piece of cake!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Nisaba wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:26 But the most exciting news will probably be that I can say for sure that this mod will be released this year!
Yo that's big news! :O

I sort of wanted to offer to help with writing the story/proofreading but it sounds like that's taken care of and I also am not sure how much time I'd have free to commit to that. :o I have so much of my own stuff in the backlog too...

Good luck with the release!

Roobar wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:43 Hopefully it will not be the last big Keen mod ever released..
Why would it be the last? Source modding is just getting started! :D
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image