Foray in the Forest (development thread)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Re: Foray in the Forest (development thread)

Post by DarkAle »

It looks a lot like a cartoon and I have to say I love it! The first mushroom is great, but I think the second, the slightly smaller one, should be better shaded at the top
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Yeah, that's because I didn't finish the top of the second one.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

These are of an incredibly high standard. And I feel inspired to try improve my dreadful pixel art skills. Your use of contrasting colour is something I really appreciate. I remain very excited about this mod.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Looks wonderful. Not only is this mod shaping up to be super exciting from a gameplay and thematic perspective, but all the art released so far also looks gorgeous. :drool
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

That looks amazing! There's so much depth, so much color, and so much detail! It's impressive seeing what people on here can do with such a limited color palette.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Looks very very very cool. :) That's the kind of stuff I wish I was capable of!! Very fun to see, and I know it'll be atmospheric to trod through in your finished levels.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Holy Garg! Those mushrooms are so gorgeous! :love :love :love They really give me a nice Keen 59 vibe! Also, that jungle door in the last page looks really cool! I hope you were able to get that one working properly!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

I had a dream today that Nisaba posted a preview of the way the solid terrain would work in the Foray engine, with a little interactive example on a website. The ground looked almost exactly like the same 2.5D style as in Goodbye Galaxy but it was made of 3D vertices instead of 2D tiles so it was able to have a little bit of perspective shifting, and it was able to have objects on top of it without weird tile overlapping or something.

I must have very high expectations for this mod.

I will give +1 respect to the mushroom.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Wow, you had a dream about this mod/game!? That's very cool! What you said sounds like a direction The Universe Is Toast could've possibly taken. And yeah, that mushroom is gorgeous! :love
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

You have posted two versions of the mushrooms:
and
I like the first one best because of the spots and better proportions. With these spots, they look a bit like a blue version of the Fly Agaric - the most classic fairytale mushroom, but also a psychoactive mushroom...
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

I was under the impression those were supposed to be seperate, co-existing shrooms. That's why I made them look different in proportions and spot-havingness.
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Thanks, now I get it.
By the way, I loved the word "spot-havingness". ;) It reminded me of something I read, it was about design of tiger enclosures (I'm a tigermaniac since the age of two): "Oh no, no, nothing remotely jumpoverable...". :lol
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Quillax wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:38 Holy Garg! Those mushrooms are so gorgeous! :love :love :love They really give me a nice Keen 59 vibe! Also, that jungle door in the last page looks really cool! I hope you were able to get that one working properly!
thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you like it.
And of course the double door technique is working with ease. in fact this mod will feature a number of exciting things like switches that can toggle multiple stuff. for you code nerds here are some insights

and

ingame it looks like so
out now (link) : Image
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Benvolio wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:57 [...] I remain very excited about this mod.
Nospike wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:34 Looks wonderful. Not only is this mod shaping up to be super exciting from a gameplay and thematic perspective, but all the art released so far also looks gorgeous. :drool
XkyRauh wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 0:07 Looks very very very cool. :) That's the kind of stuff I wish I was capable of!! Very fun to see, and I know it'll be atmospheric to trod through in your finished levels.
thanks so much for your kind words.
yes indeed, my goal is to create a very atmospheric environment with the means at my disposal. A few tricks here and there will push the usual boundaries of Galaxy modding to squeeze out that extra bit. And of course, I took inspiration quite a bit from the communities creative masterminds. there is this old saying: If you're going to steal, steal from the best. But hey, I'm fulfilling a childhood dream here, and if you folks like the output: so much the better! hope you are ready for some followup spoilers.
Image Image
(shoutouts to @Ceilick for allowing me to lend some neat vertical wall structures)
Last edited by Nisaba on Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:01, edited 1 time in total.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

proYorp wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:20 I had a dream today that Nisaba posted a preview of the way the solid terrain would work in the Foray engine, with a little interactive example on a website. The ground looked almost exactly like the same 2.5D style as in Goodbye Galaxy but it was made of 3D vertices instead of 2D tiles so it was able to have a little bit of perspective shifting, and it was able to have objects on top of it without weird tile overlapping or something.

I must have very high expectations for this mod. [...]
this wasn't by any means part of your perspective shifting dream, was it?